IGNORED

"You are the light of the world" - What does this mean?

Vine Abider

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,667
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

6 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Furthermore:

LOL I was simply using a placeholder while I completed a thought for posting.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

20 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

LOL I was simply using a placeholder while I completed a thought for posting.

Not hiding your light under a bushell, then. :)

23 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

bushell

Neither a bushel, nor a peck.  :whistling:

Fascinating to be led to a Spurgeon gem this morning that lends understanding to the circumstance in which the idea of a Christian being a light was first addressed. 

To be exposed to the understanding that Jesus' audience would have considered two of their most prominent rabbis to be  the light of the world and have Jesus instead declare them ( His audience) to be light for the world. Wow that must have sent a shutter of excitement mixed with  shock through the crowds.

I wonder how many there heard his expanding upon that, or how many might have missed his fleshing out of it as they turned to each other with a did he just say that astonishment?

Spurgeon is such a grand resource!

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  203
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,476
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

Here is my commentary on these verses. (in the interest of brevity, I didn't list all supporting verses - please ask if you'd like to see them)

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden."  Matthew 5:14  Jesus is certainly the light of the world, and His intention, in this verse, is that through Him living in and through us, we would also be the light of the world. He left us here in this world, and as 1 John 4:17 says, "for as He is, so are we in this world." 

Then Jesus goes on to make the statement about a city. From Abraham forward, saints of God have been looking for a city.  That city is, of course, the New Jerusalem.  It will be set on a hill for all to see.

"And the city (New Jerusalem) has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illuminated it, and its lamp is the Lamb." Revelation 21:23  If we look at the makeup of the NJ, we see that it is a wonderful living city, with its foundation, walls and gates being composed of Christ and the saints (both OT & NT).  It is also the bride of Christ, coming down out of heaven from God.  It will be where God and man dwell together. The glory of God will illuminate it and it really doesn't need any external light.  Where does this illuminating glory come from?

"I have given them the glory that you gave me"  John 17:22  Here we see that the glory the Father gave Jesus, is now given to mankind through Christ.

"Christ in you the hope of glory."  Col 1:27  So clear - it is Christ in us Who is our one hope of glory!  Him shining through us makes us the light of the world (as stated in the first verse above, Matt 5:14)

What an amazing picture these four verses convey!  God's desire is to dwell in and through man, and for man to regain the glory that was lost in the garden of Eden: "Let us make man in our image and likeness . . . and let them have dominion over all the earth."  (Genesis 1:26)

So what thinketh ye of this?

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,225
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On 9/3/2023 at 6:14 AM, Vine Abider said:

Notice the common words & thoughts in these four verses - light (& lamp, illumination) city and glory. What do these verses speak to you?

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden."  Matthew 5:14

"And the city (New Jerusalem) has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illuminated it, and its lamp is the Lamb." Revelation 21:23

"I have given them the glory that you gave me"  John 17:22

"Christ in you the hope of glory."  Col 1:27

Hi VA, You might like to ponder this diagram. 

Scan_20230904.png.2176e49d9450ecb0bb3a883911e90c18.png

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,413
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/2/2023 at 3:14 PM, Vine Abider said:

Notice the common words & thoughts in these four verses - light (& lamp, illumination) city and glory. What do these verses speak to you?

I think of the physical properties of light. Without it we can't see, it provides heat, and when it comes to light from the sun the plants that play multiple roles in sustaining life very nearly everything in the planet would perish very quickly. Seems pretty on target for how we'd end up physically and spiritually if God decided it was all too much of a bother maintaining it all and extending His mercy to us.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,505
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

I think of the physical properties of light. Without it we can't see, it provides heat, and when it comes to light from the sun the plants that play multiple roles in sustaining life very nearly everything in the planet would perish very quickly. Seems pretty on target for how we'd end up physically and spiritually if God decided it was all too much of a bother maintaining it all and extending His mercy to us.

Just a few mentions of things I find interesting and have contemplated.

If I recall correctly, the nation of Israel was initially chosen to be the light of the world. As a nation, they collectively were partially blinded by the Light, and rejected the Light. The apostle Paul was temporarily blinded by the Light (Lord's glory).

The word LIGHT is in 235 verses of the Bible and used in 26 ways in the Bible (c.f. Webster's 1828 dictionary).

Light, in all its biblical uses and construct properties, is fascinating. When secular science does not understand something, they assign words to it, such as DARK energy, DARK matter, a singularity, etc. Light and dark are opposites, light exposes, and dark hides.

Light has both physical and spiritual properties and applications. The physical properties of light and how it acts are mind-boggling. Is visible light a particle or a wave? Science says it depends on whether the light is being observed (what?).

Science does not know how long the light spectrum is; some claim it is infinite. The Lord's Light and Glory are endless. We can only visualize with eyes and modern technology an infinitesimal portion of however long the spectrum is.

It is said the speed of light is a law and the speed limit of the universe. Over the last couple of centuries, measurements of that speed have indicated that the rate is slowing down (controversial). It is claimed if the speed of light were a little faster or a little slower, it would drastically affect our vision, environment, and refraction.

I believe this to be a measurement of the speed of light. The smallest measure of time that can be broken down for light to pass through the eyeball.

1 Corinthians 15:52 (KJV) In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. [emphasis added]

Before the fall, I think Adam and Eve could see everything, including the spiritual realm, one of many things lost because of the first sin. Could they have also seen the notes coming off music, many more colors, and the entire light spectrum? Did the Lord create the entire light spectrum to stay hidden?

Can some or all animals still see into the supernatural realm? Ever notice your pet reacting to something seemingly not there? Could the following verses be a preview of coming attractions:

Numbers 22:23 (KJV) And the ass saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and the ass turned aside out of the way, and went into the field: and Balaam smote the ass, to turn her into the way. [emphasis added]

2 Kings 6:17 (KJV) And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha. [emphasis added]

• Interesting! 2

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  203
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,476
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

@Marilyn C @Dennis1209 @Neighbor @AnOrangeCat Light and glory are connected I think. God is light.  I've heard it said that glory is just God expressed. We were created in His image and likeness and in Christ we have been given the glory of God.

That first verse is really fascinating: "You are the light of the world. A city placed on a hill cannot be hidden."  In this verse, redeemed man (the light of the world), and the city are connected.  To me, when Jesus said "a city" it is a clear reference to the New Jerusalem.

And the city is made up of God's people*, who have been given His glory.  God dwells with man - is He outside His people or in them?

* 12 gates/tribes of Israel (Rev 21:12), 12 foundations/apostles (Rev 21:14)

To be sure, these are Interesting things to ponder . . .

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Vine Abider said:

In this verse, redeemed man (the light of the world), and the city are connected.  To me, when Jesus said "a city" it is a clear reference to the New Jerusalem.

At the time and place Yeshua was speaking his audience knew of two eminent rabbi's above all others that had greatly influenced them  as their light. Plus from where the audience was  physically at the moment Yeshua was speaking to them they  could physically see Safed one city on a hill that could not be hidden. He may have simply been pointing out Safed.

Perhaps Yeshua was making reference to the obvious before them at the time as He encouraged disciples to be light themselves.