• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Content Per Day:  6.16
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

The judgement (Greek = "bema") seat of Christ/God is mentioned in two verses:

For we must all appear before the judgment seat (bema) of Christ, so that each one may receive compensation for his deeds done through the body, in accordance with what he has done, whether good or bad. (2 Cor 5:10 NASB)

But as for you, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or you as well, why do you regard your brother or sister with contempt? For we will all appear before the judgment seat (bema) of God.  (Rom 14:10 NASB)

Here is the opening paragraph regarding the bema from Blue Letter Bible found here: https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don_stewart/don_stewart_144.cfm

Greek, like English, uses the word "judge" in two senses. One sense in condemnation, while the other sense is the giving out of rewards. The Bible says unbelievers will be judged in the first sense - condemnation, while believers will be judged in the other sense - rewards.

This is a later paragraph about the meaning of "bema."

The bema is a tribunal for rewards. In the large Olympic arenas, there was an elevated seat on which the judge of the contest sat. After the contests were over, the successful competitors would assemble before the bema to receive their rewards or crowns. The bema was not a judicial bench where someone was condemned; it was a reward seat. Likewise, the Judgment Seat of Christ is not a judicial bench. The Christian life is a race, and the divine umpire is Jesus Christ. After the race is over for each believer, He will gather every member before the bema for the purpose of examining each one and giving the proper reward to each.

How do you see this event?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  269
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,243
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

As the wonderful time when we can receive then give back to the Lord the things that He accomplished through our lives.

`The 24 Elders (representative of the B/C) fall down before Him who sits on the throne and worship Him who lives for ever and ever, and cast THEIR CROWNS before the throne, saying:

You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power;...` (Rev. 4: 10 & 11)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,331
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

2 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

The judgement (Greek = "bema") seat of Christ/God is mentioned in two verses:

For we must all appear before the judgment seat (bema) of Christ, so that each one may receive compensation for his deeds done through the body, in accordance with what he has done, whether good or bad. (2 Cor 5:10 NASB)

But as for you, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or you as well, why do you regard your brother or sister with contempt? For we will all appear before the judgment seat (bema) of God.  (Rom 14:10 NASB)

Here is the opening paragraph regarding the bema from Blue Letter Bible found here: https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don_stewart/don_stewart_144.cfm

Greek, like English, uses the word "judge" in two senses. One sense in condemnation, while the other sense is the giving out of rewards. The Bible says unbelievers will be judged in the first sense - condemnation, while believers will be judged in the other sense - rewards.

This is a later paragraph about the meaning of "bema."

The bema is a tribunal for rewards. In the large Olympic arenas, there was an elevated seat on which the judge of the contest sat. After the contests were over, the successful competitors would assemble before the bema to receive their rewards or crowns. The bema was not a judicial bench where someone was condemned; it was a reward seat. Likewise, the Judgment Seat of Christ is not a judicial bench. The Christian life is a race, and the divine umpire is Jesus Christ. After the race is over for each believer, He will gather every member before the bema for the purpose of examining each one and giving the proper reward to each.

How do you see this event?

I know what to expect. This is why I say His judgment should not come as a surprise but rather, seeking His judgment every day while we remain in this world, we know because the Lord does not withhold His judgment from us. All we have to do is ask.

Of course, this requires faith: faith that He will answer... faith in His promise to dwell with us, and teach us... faith that He will direct our path... faith in the Lord Himself. 

• Brilliant! 1
  • Well Said! 1

Ah, but as for what the Lord has in store for us? That's a different matter, brother. Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, what the Lord has in store for us. 

I ask the Lord to make His judgment known. I learned how faulty these eyes of flesh truly are, worrying for the sake of worry, but I've never presumed to inquire about matters that are sealed to us. 

I have all that I can handle right now as it is. I focus upon tying my shoelaces properly. ;)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Content Per Day:  6.16
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

50 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

I know what to expect. This is why I say His judgment should not come as a surprise but rather, seeking His judgment every day while we remain in this world, we know because the Lord does not withhold His judgment from us. All we have to do is ask.

Of course, this requires faith: faith that He will answer... faith in His promise to dwell with us, and teach us... faith that He will direct our path... faith in the Lord Himself. 

I know there will be an accounting.  And some choose to see this as just either rewards or loss of rewards, but not punishment.  Others think there will be punishment, and some think it may be quite severe . . . I must admit being blown around a little on this, that is, to what degree things will be handed out. 

One thing I think AdHoc mentioned in another thread, and that I need to look at more, is the idea that we may be judged according to how we judge others.

19 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

Ah, but as for what the Lord has in store for us? That's a different matter, brother. Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, what the Lord has in store for us. 

I ask the Lord to make His judgment known. I learned how faulty these eyes of flesh truly are, worrying for the sake of worry, but I've never presumed to inquire about matters that are sealed to us. 

I have all that I can handle right now as it is. I focus upon tying my shoelaces properly. ;)

Yes, the proverbial shoe laces - I'm pretty much at that place too!

• Well Said! 1

Guest AFlameOfFire

Here it equates those that obey the gospel with the house of God, and that judgment begins at us.

1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, 
what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

Those who obey the gospel, as Jesus said,

Luke 6:36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

He also said,

Mat 5:7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Executing true judgment is shown here also

Zech 7:9 Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Execute true judgment, and shew mercy and compassions every man to his brother

Its like with the forgiven servant who "became" the wicked servant because did not have compassion on his fellow servant after the Lord had mercy on him,  so he was called to give an account to his Lord, who said,

Mat 18:33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?

His Lord was wroth and this one was delivered to the tormentors till he should pay all that was due to him. And since fear hath torment a little fear of the Lord goes along way in departing from evil.

Mat 18:35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses

Mirrored back at us in our Lord's prayer, as we say,

Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, "as we" forgive our debtors.

He also said,

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

The measure we mete being measured to us again

Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Here Paul says,

1 Cr 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

But even when we are judged, this is considred being chastened, for the following purpose

1 Cr 11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

And in respects to sitting in judgment it says this

Isaiah 28:6 And for a spirit of judgment to him that sitteth in judgment

James also tells us,

James 2:13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

But Jesus also speaks of giving an account for every idle word we speak

Mat 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Mat 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

And perhaps an example of such a thing could be shown here (for brevity you can go back and read)

Luke 19:22 And he saith unto him, Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, thou wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow.

Jesus said,

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son

John 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, 
the same shall judge him in the last day.

The word Jesus had spoken is that which judgeth a man

2 Cr 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, 
according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

He reccompenses showing mercy

Prov 19:17 He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.

As Jesus said,

Luke 14:13 But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:

Luke 14:14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

Which is recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

Theres a few verses on judgment

Edited by AFlameOfFire

2 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

I know there will be an accounting.  And some choose to see this as just either rewards or loss of rewards, but not punishment.  Others think there will be punishment, and some think it may be quite severe . . . I must admit being blown around a little on this, that is, to what degree things will be handed out. 

One thing I think AdHoc mentioned in another thread, and that I need to look at more, is the idea that we may be judged according to how we judge others.

Yes, the proverbial shoe laces - I'm pretty much at that place too!

I'm in agreement with our brother. 

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned. Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure—pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return.” (Luke 6:37-38 NASB)

"For if you forgive other people for their offenses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive other people, then your Father will not forgive your offenses." (Matthew 6:14 NASB)

“Do not judge, so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and look, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye!" (Matthew 7:1-5 NASB)

“In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets." (Matthew 7:12 NASB)

That is the measure by which we are judged at the Bema, my friend... how we judge others. Considering this, and the exhortation of the apostles to be meek, gentle, and patient, never returning evil with evil, we are informed regarding the nature of His judgment. It's clear that the manner by which we judge others is manifest in our treatment of the same. 

Treating others in the manner we wish to be treated ourselves = love your neighbor as yourself. :) 

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

The bema was not a judicial bench where someone was condemned; it was a reward seat.

However, the word bema is used for judicial benches as well - such as Pilate's judgement seat where Jesus was condemned. 

• Thanks 2

Guest AFlameOfFire
11 minutes ago, Deborah_ said:

However, the word bema is used for judicial benches as well - such as Pilate's judgement seat where Jesus was condemned. 

True, there is the judgment seat/bema (G968) of Christ in Romans 15:10 & 2 Cr 5:10 for example, but also Caesar's judgment seat/bema (G968) in Acts 25:10. There is Pilate's Judgment seat/bema  (G968) in John 19:13 , and even Herod's throne/bema (G968) in Acts 12:21

I never understood why people emphasize "bema" for judgment seat as if it were something unfamilar to what can be found in other places in the scripture, common to earthly authorities

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,235
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

9 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

As the wonderful time when we can receive then give back to the Lord the things that He accomplished through our lives.

`The 24 Elders (representative of the B/C) fall down before Him who sits on the throne and worship Him who lives for ever and ever, and cast THEIR CROWNS before the throne, saying:

You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power;...` (Rev. 4: 10 & 11)

I really liked how you said that.. bless me thank you. Part of song comes to mind. What do I have to give to a king :)