IGNORED

The onion explains the Israeli Palestinian conflict

Shilohsfoal
Message added by Michael37,

The link is to a satirical site, called The Onion for some reason.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Content Per Day:  2.47
  • Days Won:  1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I'm not going to approve this until a warning comes with the post that the onion is crazy satire site and nothing they say should be considered a reality.

1 hour ago, other one said:

I'm not going to approve this until a warning comes with the post that the onion is crazy satire site and nothing they say should be considered a reality.

I would hope the people on this board could tell the difference between news and satire but your probably right.They wouldn't know the difference.

It does explain the conflict though.The nations wanting to establish a Jewish state in the midst of hundreds of millions of Muslims whos religion requires them to kill all Jews.

I mean what could possibly go wrong?

= Armegeddon 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/22/2023 at 8:44 PM, Shilohsfoal said:

......... whos religion requires them to kill all Jews.

With respect, this is not correct 

Blessings.

36 minutes ago, Paulus said:

With respect, this is not correct 

Blessings.

In the war of armegeddon ,when God has gathered the nations against Israel and all the Jews who rejected Christ lay dead on the ground,you might figure out that the Muslims believe they are supposed to kill all Jews at that point.

But like I said,what could go wrong when muslims are taught in the Hadith to kill all of the Jews.Even them hiding behind trees and stones.

It was reported that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with them both) said: “I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) saying: ‘You (i.e. Muslims) will fight against the Jews and you will gain victory over them. The stones will (betray them) saying: ‘O ‘Abdullah (i.e. slave of Allah)! There is a Jew hiding behind me; so kill him. 1 This Hadith was reported by Al-Bukhari.

It was also reported on the authority of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with them both) that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: “The Jews will fight against you and you will gain victory over them, till the stone says: ‘O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me; so kill him.’ 2 This Hadith was reported by Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhy who said that it is a Hasan, Sahih Hadith.

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with them both) said that he heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) saying: “The Antichrist will pass by this salty barren area i.e. Madinah, in a passage of a canal. Most of those who will come out to him will be women so that a man will return to his intimate wife, mother, daughter, sister or aunt to tie them up for fear that they might go out to him. Then, Allah will afflict him with Muslims who kill him and his followers and the Jews will hide behind a tree or a rock and the rock or the tree will say to the Muslim: There is a Jew behind me, come and kill him! 3 This Hadith was reported by Ahmad in his Musnad.

It was also reported by Ibn Majah on the authority of Abu Umamah Al-Bahily who said that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said this Hadith about Al-Masih-ul-Dajjal (the Antichrist).

On 10/24/2023 at 3:25 PM, Shilohsfoal said:

In the war of armegeddon......

With respect, this is a distraction.

It is clear from the video you posted (and from subsequent comments) that this thread is about current events in Israel.

You write:

‘It does explain the conflict though. The nations wanting to establish a Jewish state in the midst of hundreds of millions of Muslims whose religion requires them to kill all Jews.’ My emphasis.

The notion that Islam is hostile to Jews, and requires their slaughter (irrespective of gender; status; or behaviour) is incorrect.  However, I can see why certain folk believe otherwise.

Khaled Abou El Fadl – the Omar and Azmeralda Alfi Distinguished Professor of Law at the UCLA School of Law – writes:

‘For five years or more now, a beautifully printed English translation of the Qur’an has been distributed for free in nearly every Islamic centre in the United States.  This Trojan-horse translation is found in every Muslim bookstore and in every English-speaking Islamic centre.  The authors of the translation are professors at the University of Medina, and the book is printed, no expenses spared, in Saudi Arabia.  On the very first page of the printed text is a certificate of authentication and approval by the late ‘Abd al-‘Aziz Bin Bazz, the “Head of the Ministry for Islamic Research, Legal Opinions, Preaching and Guidance”.  Interestingly enough, Bin Bazz did not know a word of English, but he authenticated the text nonetheless. To be fair, however, the translation is a faithful reproduction of Bin Bazz’s views with all their idiosyncrasies.’ (‘The Search for Beauty in Islam – a Conference of the Books’).

Professor El Fadl is referring to the translation of Al-Hilali and Khan.  Here's an example of their work:

‘Guide us to the Straight Way.  The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger (such as the Jews), nor of those who went astray (such as the Christians). (Sūrah Al-Fatiha: 6-7; my emphasis)

No doubt about it; this is hostile.

However, the translation is misleading. 

Note the parenthetical interjections.  Parentheses are not found in the Qur’an itself.  They exist only in translations, and serve as clarifications of the text – or, as in this case, expressions of the translator’s prejudice. 

‘Al-Fatiha’ (‘The Opening’) is regarded as a precise summary of the Qur’anic message.  It is very important in Islamic worship, being an obligatory part of the daily prayer; repeated many times during the day. 

This is Professor M.A.S Abdel Haleem’s translation:

‘In the name of God, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy!  Praise belongs to God, Lord of the Worlds, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy, Master of the Day of Judgement.  It is You we worship; it is You we ask for help.  Guide us to the straight path: the path of those You have blessed, those who incur no anger (l-maghḍūbi) and who have not gone astray.’ (‘The Qur’an’).

There is no hostility to Jews (or Christians) here. 

By the way, Professor Haleem reminds us that the passive participle maghḍūb is not attributed to the Beloved at all, but to anyone who is justifiably angered by our behaviour. 

In short, we are on the straight path only when we treat others as we would like to be treated: with respect; with kindness; with forgiveness, and so on.  'So always treat others as you would like them to treat you; that is the Law and the Prophets.’ (Matthew 7:12; Jerusalem Bible).

Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) refers to Jews and Christians as ‘People of the Book’; an honorific title.  This is what He says about them:

‘Those who believe and do good deeds are the best of creationTheir reward with their Lord is everlasting Gardens graced with flowing streams, where they will stay foreverAllāh is well pleased with them and they with Him.  All this is for those who stand in awe of their Lord.’ (Al-Bayyina 7 -8; my emphasis)

And also:

‘They are not all alike. There are some among the People of the Book who are upright, who recite Allāh’s revelations during the night, who bow down in worship, who believe in Allāh and the Last Day, who order what is right and forbid what is wrong, who are quick to do good deeds. These people are among the righteous and they will not be denied (the reward) for whatever good deeds they do: Allāh knows exactly who is conscious of Him.’ (Al‘Imran: 113-115; my emphasis).

These ʾāyah assure me that every Jew, and every Christian, who carries the Beloved in their hearts, and who strives to do good, will have their reward.  This is a solemn promise, and the Beloved does not renege on His promises. 

There is no disagreement between Islamic scholars that Muslim men are permitted to marry Christian or Jewish women.  In such marriages, the wife enjoys an absolute right, not only to retain her faith, but to practise it. 

On the other hand, there is broad (but by no means unanimous) consensus among Islamic scholars and jurists that the marriage of a Muslim woman to a Christian or Jewish man is prohibited. 

Dr Mohammad Hashim Kamali – former Professor of Law at the International Islamic University of Malaysia – writes:

The reason given (for this prohibition) is that the husband is the head of the household, and his religion influences the children of the marriage.  Besides, Islam accepts Christianity and Judaism as valid religions, but Islam itself is not given the same recognition by these older religions.  A Muslim husband of a Christian woman can thus be expected to respect her faith but the same is not expected of a non-Muslim man who marries a Muslim wife.’ (‘Shariah Law: Questions and Answers.’).

The end result (it is alleged) will be tension within the marriage, and an erosion of the mutual respect that is so essential for the continuity of a happy and successful marital relationship.

I refer you to the book: ‘Fatwa on Terrorism and Suicide Bombings’ by Shaykh-ul-Islam Dr Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri.  In his introduction to this book, Dr Joel S. Hayward – Dean of the Royal Air Force College, Cranwell, and Head of Air Power Studies, King’s College London – writes (my emphasis):

‘(The Shaykh) has left no stone unturned in his determination to demonstrate that there can be no possible justification for deliberate violence in the name of Islam outside of the context of organised warfare. This is itself only permissible when undertaken according to strict criteria based only on self-defence and adherence to justice…..Indeed, the Shaykh demonstrates that suicide bombings and other forms of terrorism are so unjust and wicked that they place the perpetrators outside of Islam. That is, these acts are the acts of unbelievers, not martyrs, and they will expose those who do them to the gravest likelihood of eternal punishment after death.’

The following extracts from the Shaykh’s Fatwa are germane to our discussion:

Chapter 3: The Unlawfulness of Indiscriminately Killing Non-Muslims and Torturing Them

In this chapter, the Shaykh demonstrates – with supporting evidence from the Qur’an and ʼaḥādīth:

That there must be no discrimination between the killings of Muslim and non-Muslim citizens; that the massacre of civilian population and considering it lawful is an act of disbelief; that the killing of non-Muslim citizens makes paradise forbidden for the killer; that killing foreign delegates and religious leaders is unlawful; that the retribution (qisas) of Muslims and non-Muslims is the same; that harming a non-Muslim citizen out of revenge is unlawful; that usurping the wealth of non-Muslims is unlawful; that humiliating non-Muslim citizens is forbidden; and that non-Muslim citizens must be protected from internal and external aggression.

Chapter 4: The Unlawfulness of Terrorism Against non-Muslims – Even During Times of War

In this chapter, the Shaykh demonstrates – with supporting evidence from the Qur’an and ʼaḥādīth:

That killing non-Muslim women is unlawful; that killing the children of non-Muslims is unlawful; that killing elderly non-Muslims is unlawful; that killing the religious leaders of non-Muslims is unlawful; that killing non-Muslim traders and farmers is unlawful; that killing non-Muslim service personnel (who are not engaged in fighting) is unlawful; that killing non-Muslims who are non-combatants is unlawful; that waging night offensives against non-Muslims is unlawful; that burning non-Muslims is unlawful; that breaking into enemy homes and looting them is unlawful; that destroying the cattle, crops and properties of the enemy is unlawful.

Chapter 6: The Unlawfulness of Forcing One’s Belief Upon Others and Destroying Places of Worship

That Islam grants complete freedom to practise one’s religion; that killing a non-Muslim and destroying his or her property due to religious differences is unlawful; that it is a Sunna of the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam to safeguard non-Muslim places of worship; that it is a religious obligation to safeguard these places of worship; and that destroying non-Muslim places of worship located in Muslim-majority areas is unlawful.

To summarise: 

Believing Jews (and Christians) are the ‘best of creation’.  Their Lord is ‘well pleased with them’.  They are ‘among the righteous, and ‘will not be denied (the reward) for whatever good deeds they do’. 

A Muslim man may marry a believing Jewish or Christian woman, and is required to respect his wife’s chosen Faith.

The indiscriminate killing of non-Muslims – and torturing them – is unlawful.

Terrorism against non-Muslims – even during times of war – is unlawful.

Forcing one’s belief upon others, and destroying places of worship is unlawful.

How does this gel with the notion that Islam requires Muslims to kill all Jews?

3 hours ago, Paulus said:

It is clear from the video you posted (and from subsequent comments) that this thread is about current events in Israel.

You write:

‘It does explain the conflict though. The nations wanting to establish a Jewish state in the midst of hundreds of millions of Muslims whose religion requires them to kill all Jews.’ My emphasis.

The notion that Islam is hostile to Jews, and requires their slaughter (irrespective of gender; status; or behaviour) is incorrect.  However, I can see why certain folk believe otherwise.

Khaled Abou El Fadl – the Omar and Azmeralda Alfi Distinguished Professor of Law at the UCLA School of Law – writes:

‘For five years or more now, a beautifully printed English translation of the Qur’an has been distributed for free in nearly every Islamic centre in the United States.  This Trojan-horse translation is found in every Muslim bookstore and in every English-speaking Islamic centre.  The authors of the translation are professors at the University of Medina, and the book is printed, no expenses spared, in Saudi Arabia.  On the very first page of the printed text is a certificate of authentication and approval by the late ‘Abd al-‘Aziz Bin Bazz, the “Head of the Ministry for Islamic Research, Legal Opinions, Preaching and Guidance”.  Interestingly enough, Bin Bazz did not know a word of English, but he authenticated the text nonetheless. To be fair, however, the translation is a faithful reproduction of Bin Bazz’s views with all their idiosyncrasies.’ (‘The Search for Beauty in Islam – a Conference of the Books’).

Professor El Fadl is referring to the translation of Al-Hilali and Khan.  Here's an example of their work:

‘Guide us to the Straight Way.  The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger (such as the Jews), nor of those who went astray (such as the Christians). (Sūrah Al-Fatiha: 6-7; my emphasis)

Note the parenthetical interjections.  Parentheses are not found in the Qur’an itself.  They exist only in translations, and serve as clarifications of the text – or, as in this case, expressions of the translator’s prejudice. 

‘Al-Fatiha’ (‘The Opening’) is regarded as a precise summary of the Qur’anic message.  It is very important in Islamic worship, being an obligatory part of the daily prayer; repeated many times during the day. 

‘In the name of God, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy!  Praise belongs to God, Lord of the Worlds, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy, Master of the Day of Judgement.  It is You we worship; it is You we ask for help.  Guide us to the straight path: the path of those You have blessed, those who incur no anger (l-maghḍūbi) and who have not gone astray.’ (‘The Qur’an’).

By the way, Professor Haleem reminds us that the passive participle maghḍūb is not attributed to the Beloved at all, but to anyone who is justifiably angered by our behaviour. 

In short, we are on the straight path only when we treat others as we would like to be treated: with respect; with kindness; with forgiveness, and so on.  'So always treat others as you would like them to treat you; that is the Law and the Prophets.’ (Matthew 7:12; Jerusalem Bible).

Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) refers to Jews and Christians as ‘People of the Book’; an honorific title.  This is what He says about them:

‘Those who believe and do good deeds are the best of creationTheir reward with their Lord is everlasting Gardens graced with flowing streams, where they will stay foreverAllāh is well pleased with them and they with Him.  All this is for those who stand in awe of their Lord.’ (Al-Bayyina 7 -8; my emphasis)

And also:

‘They are not all alike. There are some among the People of the Book who are upright, who recite Allāh’s revelations during the night, who bow down in worship, who believe in Allāh and the Last Day, who order what is right and forbid what is wrong, who are quick to do good deeds. These people are among the righteous and they will not be denied (the reward) for whatever good deeds they do: Allāh knows exactly who is conscious of Him.’ (Al‘Imran: 113-115; my emphasis).

These ʾāyah assure me that every Jew, and every Christian, who carries the Beloved in their hearts, and who strives to do good, will have their reward.  This is a solemn promise, and the Beloved does not renege on His promises. 

There is no disagreement between Islamic scholars that Muslim men are permitted to marry Christian or Jewish women.  In such marriages, the wife enjoys an absolute right, not only to retain her faith, but to practise it. 

On the other hand, there is broad (but by no means unanimous) consensus among Islamic scholars and jurists that the marriage of a Muslim woman to a Christian or Jewish man is prohibited. 

Dr Mohammad Hashim Kamali – former Professor of Law at the International Islamic University of Malaysia – writes:

The reason given (for this prohibition) is that the husband is the head of the household, and his religion influences the children of the marriage.  Besides, Islam accepts Christianity and Judaism as valid religions, but Islam itself is not given the same recognition by these older religions.  A Muslim husband of a Christian woman can thus be expected to respect her faith but the same is not expected of a non-Muslim man who marries a Muslim wife.’ (‘Shariah Law: Questions and Answers.’).

The end result (it is alleged) will be tension within the marriage, and an erosion of the mutual respect that is so essential for the continuity of a happy and successful marital relationship.

I refer you to the book: ‘Fatwa on Terrorism and Suicide Bombings’ by Shaykh-ul-Islam Dr Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri.  In his introduction to this book, Dr Joel S. Hayward – Dean of the Royal Air Force College, Cranwell, and Head of Air Power Studies, King’s College London – writes (my emphasis):

‘(The Shaykh) has left no stone unturned in his determination to demonstrate that there can be no possible justification for deliberate violence in the name of Islam outside of the context of organised warfare. This is itself only permissible when undertaken according to strict criteria based only on self-defence and adherence to justice…..Indeed, the Shaykh demonstrates that suicide bombings and other forms of terrorism are so unjust and wicked that they place the perpetrators outside of Islam. That is, these acts are the acts of unbelievers, not martyrs, and they will expose those who do them to the gravest likelihood of eternal punishment after death.’

Chapter 3: The Unlawfulness of Indiscriminately Killing Non-Muslims and Torturing Them

That there must be no discrimination between the killings of Muslim and non-Muslim citizens; that the massacre of civilian population and considering it lawful is an act of disbelief; that the killing of non-Muslim citizens makes paradise forbidden for the killer; that killing foreign delegates and religious leaders is unlawful; that the retribution (qisas) of Muslims and non-Muslims is the same; that harming a non-Muslim citizen out of revenge is unlawful; that usurping the wealth of non-Muslims is unlawful; that humiliating non-Muslim citizens is forbidden; and that non-Muslim citizens must be protected from internal and external aggression.

Chapter 4: The Unlawfulness of Terrorism Against non-Muslims – Even During Times of War

That killing non-Muslim women is unlawful; that killing the children of non-Muslims is unlawful; that killing elderly non-Muslims is unlawful; that killing the religious leaders of non-Muslims is unlawful; that killing non-Muslim traders and farmers is unlawful; that killing non-Muslim service personnel (who are not engaged in fighting) is unlawful; that killing non-Muslims who are non-combatants is unlawful; that waging night offensives against non-Muslims is unlawful; that burning non-Muslims is unlawful; that breaking into enemy homes and looting them is unlawful; that destroying the cattle, crops and properties of the enemy is unlawful.

Chapter 6: The Unlawfulness of Forcing One’s Belief Upon Others and Destroying Places of Worship

That Islam grants complete freedom to practise one’s religion; that killing a non-Muslim and destroying his or her property due to religious differences is unlawful; that it is a Sunna of the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam to safeguard non-Muslim places of worship; that it is a religious obligation to safeguard these places of worship; and that destroying non-Muslim places of worship located in Muslim-majority areas is unlawful.

To summarise: 

Believing Jews (and Christians) are the ‘best of creation’.  Their Lord is ‘well pleased with them’.  They are ‘among the righteous, and ‘will not be denied (the reward) for whatever good deeds they do’. 

A Muslim man may marry a believing Jewish or Christian woman, and is required to respect his wife’s chosen Faith.

You believe the war of armegeddon ,when Muslim nations overun Israel killing  Jewish women ,children and men and raping women and taking captives is a distraction from the Hadith calling for Muslims to kill Jewish men ,women and children ,?

How is it a distraction for Muslims who believe the hadiths below to fulfill them?

Or are you simply denying these things are written,?

It was also reported on the authority of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with them both) that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: “The Jews will fight against you and you will gain victory over them, till the stone says: ‘O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me; so kill him.’ 2 This Hadith was reported by Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhy who said that it is a Hasan, Sahih Hadith.

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with them both) said that he heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) saying: “The Antichrist will pass by this salty barren area i.e. Madinah, in a passage of a canal. Most of those who will come out to him will be women so that a man will return to his intimate wife, mother, daughter, sister or aunt to tie them up for fear that they might go out to him. Then, Allah will afflict him with Muslims who kill him and his followers and the Jews will hide behind a tree or a rock and the rock or the tree will say to the Muslim: There is a Jew behind me, come and kill him! 3 This Hadith was reported by Ahmad in his Musnad.

It was also reported by Ibn Majah on the authority of Abu Umamah Al-Bahily who said that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said this Hadith about Al-Masih-ul-Dajjal (the Antichrist).

3 hours ago, Paulus said:

You write:

And also:

To summarise: 

Such a sweet peaceful religion being taught to children to chop ofg Jewish heads.Its just such a peaceful loving religion.

But hey,if that's what you want.Thats what you get.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6994509/Muslim-children-Philadelphia-school-sing-chopping-heads-army-Allah.html

Shocking video has emerged showing a group of young Muslim children in Philadelphia singing of ‘chopping off heads’ so as to ‘liberate Al-Aqsa Mosque’ while ‘defending Palestine with our bodies.’

The clip, which was first uploaded to Facebook by the Muslim American Society Islamic Center in Philadelphia last month, shows a group of children wearing Islamic headdress adorned with Palestinian symbols and colors.

Ahhh,are they not just adorable sweet children.

Edited by Shilohsfoal

56 minutes ago, Shilohsfoal said:

You believe the war of armegeddon ,when Muslim nations overun Israel killing  Jewish women ,children and men and raping women and taking captives is a distraction from the Hadith calling for Muslims to kill Jewish men ,women and children ,?

The following ʼaḥādīth are germane to our discussion:               

‘Narrated `Abdullah bin `Umar

‘I heard Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) saying, "The Jews will fight with you, and you will be given victory over them so that a stone will say, 'O Muslim! There is a Jew behind me; kill him!'" (Sahih Al-Bukhari; Ḥadīth 3593; see also Sahih Muslim; Ḥadīth 2912).

And:

‘Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) as saying:

“The last hour would not come unless the Muslims will fight against the Jews and the Muslims would kill them until the Jews would hide themselves behind a stone or a tree and a stone or a tree would say: Muslim, or the servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me; come and kill him; but the tree Gharqad would not say, for it is the tree of the Jews.”’ (Sahil Muslim: Book 54; ‘The Book of Tribulations and Portents of the Last Hour’; Ḥadīth 2992).

These ʼaḥādīth form part of a larger narrative in the genre of eschatology, and refer to the return of Yeshua (ʿalayhi as-salām) – whom Muslims recognise as the Messiah – and the supposed apocalyptic battle between Yeshua and al-Masīḥ ad-Dajjāl (the ‘Deceitful Messiah; one who pretends to be the promised Messiah, and who later claims to be God).

According to Islamic eschatology, the forces of the Dajjāl will include just seventy-thousand Jews (Sahih Muslim 2944); misguided Christians; and deviant Muslims.

These ʼaḥādīth speak of fighting between two groups of soldiers involved in war, one side of which is clearly unjust; they do not refer to innocent civilians.

‘The Qur’an does not use the word jihad to refer to warfare or fighting; such acts are referred to as qital.  While the Qur’an’s call to jihad is unconditional and unrestricted, such is not the case for qital.  Jihad is a good in and of itself, while qital is not.  Jihad is good because it is like the Protestant work ethic: hard work toward a good cause. Qital—war—however, is a different matter altogether.  Every reference in the Qur’an to qital is restricted and limited by particular conditions; but exhortations to jihad, like the references to justice or truth, are absolute and unconditional. 

‘On every single occasion that the Qur’an exhorts Muslims to fight, it hastens to qualify the exhortation by a command to believers to not transgress, to forgive, or to seek peace.  Although this fact is recognizable by simply reading the text of the Qur’an, this textual reality has strangely eluded a large number of Muslim and non-Muslim scholars of the Qur’an.  Nevertheless, it is beyond dispute that the Qur’an never endorses the military option without conditioning that choice in some significant way.

‘Puritans entirely ignore the Qur’anic teaching that the act of destroying or spreading ruin on this earth is one of the gravest sins possible—fasad fi al-ard, which means to corrupt the earth by destroying the beauty of creation.  This is considered an ultimate act of blasphemy against God.  Those who corrupt the earth by destroying lives, property, and nature are designated as mufsidun (corruptors and evildoers), who, in effect, wage war against God by dismantling the very fabric of existence.  Corrupting the earth entails the act of undoing and breaking down the ties and relationships that God has established through creation by disrupting the process of human intercourse and by destroying the very possibility of human beings coming “to know one another” through interactive social dynamics.

‘Most importantly, according to the Qur’an, war by its very nature is the primary contributor to this process of corruption that plagues and ultimately destroys human beings.  This is exactly why Islamic theology teaches that an integral part of the Divine covenant given to human beings is to occupy themselves with building and creating, not ruining and destroying life.  (‘The Great Theft – Wrestling Islam from the Extremists’; my emphasis).

There are some who portray ‘jihad’ as a ‘holy war’.  This cannot be correct.  ‘Holy war’ is rendered ‘al-harb al-muqadas’; a phrase that does not exist in Qur’anic Arabic.  It is not found in the Qur’an; nor in the ʼaḥādīth; nor in the writings of the early commentators.

According to the Qur’an, no war is holy; not under any circumstance. 

Muslims are obliged to protect themselves, and all who seek their protection. They must protect the defenceless; women; children; and the old from privation, suffering and moral peril. According to the Shari’a, fighting in a ‘just war’ is a duty (as it is in all other forms of state governance, whether religious or secular).   

Whenever possible, war is to be avoided; even when preparations have been made:

‘Prepare whatever forces you (believers) can muster, including warhorses, to frighten off Allāh’s enemies and yours, and warn others unknown to you but known to Allāh. Whatever you give in Allāh’s cause will be repaid to you in full, and you will not be wronged. But if they incline towards peace, you (Prophet) must also incline towards it, and put your trust in Allāh: He is the All Hearing, the All Knowing.’ (Al-Anfal: 60-61).

The Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) issued a stark warning about persecuting others, “Whoever harms a non-Muslim at peace with us will never smell the fragrance of paradise, although its fragrance can be found a distance of forty years of travel,” (Sahih Bukhari 6516).

And again:

‘On the Day of Judgment, the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam)  himself will argue on behalf of persecuted non-Muslims and against the Muslims who persecuted them, “If anyone wrongs a non-Muslim at peace with us, violates his rights, burdens him with more work than he is able to do, or takes something from him without his consent, then I will be his advocate on the Day of Resurrection.” (Sunan Abi Dawud 3052).

This stunning indictment should make any Muslim think twice before hurting anyone.