• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  308
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

This was what Adam was created with.

A body housing a soul and having a human spirit (not the Holy Spirit.)

When Adam sinned, he died "in the day" he ate of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

He didn't die body-wise for he lived 930 years and had children.

He didn't die soul-fully for the soul is comprised of intellect, mind, emotions, senses, conscience and will.

His human spirit died. He remained body and soul - no human spirit. Everyone born from him is body and soul. It is only through being born again that God creates a new human spirit in the person and the person is restored to the tri-fold image of God.

24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. Eph 4:23–24.

17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 2 Cor 5:17.

The unsaved who are never saved die body and soul and cast into "hell."

28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Mt 10:28.

The human soul in conversion allows us to process spiritual phenomenon, even communicating with God who is Spirit.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Shalom. What Bible verses are used to substantiate this teaching, that when Adam sinned, his human spirit died? Aren't there several instances in the Bible where reference is made to the human spirit, as being alive and animate? 

I do believe in the tri-partite nature of man: body, soul and spirit. However, the way I have been taught to believe is as follows.

As Peter mentions in his epistle that one day with the Lord is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day, so Adam died just short of a thousand years (930) and was buried, per the word of the Lord, who said: "For you are dust, and to dust you shall return." He died, therefore, in the same prophetic day in which he sinned, though not in the same 24-hour period, since by the mercy and forbearance of God his death was postponed by the blood of the creature that the Lord then skinned to clothe them - a picture of the atoning death of Christ. 

Physical death, then, is the curse passed by sin to all mankind: we die and return to the dust. That is not to say that eternal death isn't a thing. For all those who die in their sin, outside the finished work of Christ, must still face eternal death = separation from God forever. 

What then, occurs at the new birth, if not a resuscitated spirit? First, we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit as an "earnest" towards the day of redemption, who renews and revitalizes, yes, not just our human soul and spirit day by day, but ultimately our earthly body on the day of redemption. Anyway, that was my rant. 

Soli Deo gloria. 

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,117
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

On 11/4/2023 at 5:21 PM, jeremiah1five said:

BODY AND SOUL AND SPIRIT: This was what Adam was created with.

You left out the Breath:

Proverbs 20:27 The breath [Heb. neshamah; not ruach/spirit] of man is a lamp of Jehovah, Searching all the inner parts of the heart.

Gen. 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/blogs/entry/1027-the-three-heavens/

8 hours ago, WilliamL said:

You left out the Breath:

Proverbs 20:27 The breath [Heb. neshamah; not ruach/spirit] of man is a lamp of Jehovah, Searching all the inner parts of the heart.

What breath? The breath of God? All God did was animate the man and he became a living soul. He didn't receive the Holy Spirit but throughout the Hebrew Scriptures "soul" and "spirit" are used interchangeably and the context must be considered. 

But it is the "soul" of man that is a lamp of the Lord. This "spirit/soul" is OF MAN.

8 hours ago, WilliamL said:

Gen. 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/blogs/entry/1027-the-three-heavens/

Animation.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,469
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Not to argue that I am correct, but I view it a bit differently. We were created as tri-part beings; I do not believe our spirit was lost through Adam, as I interpret below.

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thessalonians 5:23)

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. (Ecclesiastes 12:7)

I believe our spirit is that part of us that allows us to connect with God in prayer and worship.

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: (Romans 8:16)

Without our spirit, we would have no way to ask God for forgiveness and be saved.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  5,117
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

On 1/21/2024 at 8:41 PM, jeremiah1five said:

What breath? The breath of God? All God did was animate the man and he became a living soul. He didn't receive the Holy Spirit but throughout the Hebrew Scriptures "soul" and "spirit" are used interchangeably and the context must be considered. 

But it is the "soul" of man that is a lamp of the Lord. This "spirit/soul" is OF MAN.

Since you clearly don't consult the original Hebrew words in all such verses, you cannot come to any real understanding about the terms breath, spirit, and soul. Relying solely on English translations will only lead one to confusion.

For example, there is only one verse that says anything regarding "the "soul" of man that is a lamp of the Lord." Here it is:

Proverbs 20:27 The lamp of Yahweh is the breath [Heb. neshamah] of man, Searching all the innermost parts of his body.

The Hebrew word overwhelmingly translated as soul is nephesh. The Hebrew word overwhelmingly translated as spirit is ruach.

Unless you come to understand these basic definitions, which the Hebrew writers had very specific meanings for -- but English translators used rather loosely -- you will never really understand the original intent of the Hebrew scriptures.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

This is one of the most interesting subjects in the Scriptures and there is absolutely no consensus. Most find there is 3 parts of the created man while some contend a 2 part being. 

I think it MAY be due to the many verses in the Scriptures where the word “soul” can be found - whether individually, or with the words “body and spirit.” And each verse must be interpreted separately as they do not all speak about the same issues. 

In any event, I believe there is only 2 parts of the created man. In Genesis 2:7, God created man by combining the dust / dirt from the earth and then He breathed into it HIS SPIRIT- it was not meant as to breathe air (literal air) into the formed dust / dirt to activate it, but to breathe HIS SPIRIT into it. Thus, He created man in HIS IMAGE. It is a 2 part combination of A (earth) + B (HIS HOLY SPIRIT) = C (a soul). God created a “SOUL.”

In this way, and only this way, could Adam exist in HIS presence. But when Adam sinned, God’s HOLY SPIRIT that HE placed within Adam could no longer “be” within Adam. If HAD to return back to the only ONE that gave it to him. Only God is holy and only HE can give it to us. We do not and can not generate, be good enough, acquire or obtain ANY LEVEL OF HOLINESS on our own regardless of how much we try to obey and worship God. 
HE HAS TO GIVE US HIS HOLINESS in order to be with HIM. 

Adam had be removed from the Garden (HIS) or he would immediately die. He was sent out of the Garden to live, but he was no longer a “living soul.” He was now a “living being” WITHOUT HIS holiness within him. 

But God would immediately design a plan of salvation to bring Adam (mankind) back into the Garden (HIS presence). The ONLY way to accomplish this is to restore HIS HOLINESS back into Adam. The only way to do that is by the cross. By accepting Jesus as our Litd and Savior, He will send HIS HOLY SPIRIT into us just as was done at Pentecost. This would, while we are still living on the earth, symbolize the placing once again of HIS SPIRIT back into man. But at the second resurrection  God will not see our sins should He find HIS HOLY SPIRIT within us. He will then LITERALLY PLACE HIS HOLY SPIRIT BACK INTO US and we will be back in the Garden once again with HIM forever.  
Those that have rejected the Messiah will not be able to exist in HIS presence and be destroyed by THE SAME BRIGHTNESS AND HOLINESS OF HIS BEING. 

Consequently, no man is born with ANY sense of Holiness or Righteousness since it is only God’s to give. Every man is borne as a “human being.” We are all made of part B (dust of the earth), and be given life (no different than any other living creature). But we are the only creatures that can become a “human or living soul - “a C.” We do not have a “soul, we become a living soul ONLY when God places HIS HOLY SPIRIT BACK INTO US AT HIS SECOND COMING. 

I also believe this is exactly why Satin hates mankind- God may have made him the most impressive creature / angel in heaven, but HE never was made in HIS IMAGE and never had God place HIS HOLINESS OR HIS SPIRIT INTO him. No matter how great an angel he was among all other angels, he would never have HIS HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD PLACED WITHIN him and thus, hated man. 

Charlie

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.14
  • Days Won:  31

1 Thessalonians 5.23 comes to mind: "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

14 minutes ago, farouk said:

1 Thessalonians 5.23 comes to mind: "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

What I find in this verse is evidence of the restoration of the image of God in the born-again believer.

Adam was created body, soul, and human spirit (not Holy Spirit.) When he sinned he died "in the day" he ate of the tree and became body and soul, no human spirit. He could not pass a human spirit to his children and so forth and mankind were born from him only body and soul. Then Jesus said this:

28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Mt 10:28.

This to me evidences that those unsaved and die unsaved are cast into "hell" body and soul, no human spirit. 

When a person is born-again God creates a new human spirit in the believer that enables spiritual communication with God and able to process spiritual phenomenon.

24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. Eph 4:23–24.

This leads me to: 

17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature (or "creation"): old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 2 Co 5:17.

And takes me to:

23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  1 Thess. 5:23.

There are no three-part persons in "hell."

• 4 weeks later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,868
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

Its fascinating how living human cells and organs can be passed on to other humans rather the donor is living or not.

Some cells can live on for weeks after the breath is gone. The immune system is like it's own Genesis. It kicks into overdrive after death trying to repair failing organs though futile.

The human body is also a walking ecosystem hosting over 10,000 different species.

Edited by BeyondET