• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,497
  • Content Per Day:  7.14
  • Days Won:  99

19 minutes ago, TrueFollowerOfChrist said:

Just curious. Why do you say it's a myth?

As far as I know, there's no historical evidence of a shared meal. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,291
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, Marathoner said:

:thumbs_up:   Hard to know anymore the truth, Marathoner.
Personally, I never considered the origin of the day of giving thanks to God for His blessings.

It's a good thing to do, showing gratitude, publicly as a nation, and individually.

With the abundance of revisionist changing the history (books) for many decades, and the militant cry baby crowd trying to reap shame upon patriotic Americans past, it won't change how I know that our creator God has blessed America beyond measure, from it's birth. Just go try to live in some third world country for only a while and see if you don't kiss the ground when you hurry back home.

01HFSRZS68K6QJ39094J33K6S7.jpeg.56396b1157cc97fdb4a4363ca951e5aa.jpeg

Gratitude v. Fear

Mark Alexander

"Think of those around the world who cannot bow their heads in prayer without risking their lives. And then think of how blessed we are to be American.....

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  0

19 hours ago, Marathoner said:

Well In fairness, the only piece of evidence that the first Thanksgiving actually happened is from a journal entry by the Governor of the Plymouth colony. I see no reason he would make it up. We have 1 eyewitness account from an authority figure. 

It's also worth noting that the original thanksgiving supposedly led to 50 years of peace between settlers and Indians. Obviously the peace didn't last forever, but an event that created 50 years of peace between 2 completely different cultures is definitely something to celebrate. 

I don't know if this gives you more confidence to believe or not, but maybe something to think about.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  967
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,865
  • Content Per Day:  5.06
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

5 hours ago, TrueFollowerOfChrist said:

Well In fairness, the only piece of evidence that the first Thanksgiving actually happened is from a journal entry by the Governor of the Plymouth colony. I see no reason he would make it up. We have 1 eyewitness account from an authority figure. 

It's also worth noting that the original thanksgiving supposedly led to 50 years of peace between settlers and Indians. Obviously the peace didn't last forever, but an event that created 50 years of peace between 2 completely different cultures is definitely something to celebrate. 

I don't know if this gives you more confidence to believe or not, but maybe something to think about.

The myth is not the offering of food by the Wampanoag tribe to the colonials but rather, that the Wampanoag taught the colonials how to survive. They didn't. Their sachem, Ousamequin, offered the food to the colonials as an entente, an invitation to form an alliance to help them resist their Narragansett enemies. It wasn't an altruistic measure on their part. By approaching the colonials first, the Wampanoag hoped to gain an advantage over their Narragansett rivals.

A common American colonial tactic was to enact a treaty with a tribe --- or a federation of tribes --- by supplying them with muskets, and trading with them for meat and furs. In return, those tribes would support their bid to drive other tribes off of their ancestral lands so the colonials could expand and exploit natural resources. The allied tribe would donate warriors to act as guides and translators. Those warriors would learn enough English or French to do the latter. 

As for the treaty between the "pilgrims" and Wampanoag initiated by that entente, it ended 50 years later with King Philip's War. Treaty violations by the colonials and disease imported by them to America inflamed tensions. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

On 11/25/2023 at 7:47 PM, Marathoner said:

The myth is not the offering of food by the Wampanoag tribe to the colonials but rather, that the Wampanoag taught the colonials how to survive. They didn't. Their sachem, Ousamequin, offered the food to the colonials as an entente, an invitation to form an alliance to help them resist their Narragansett enemies. It wasn't an altruistic measure on their part. By approaching the colonials first, the Wampanoag hoped to gain an advantage over their Narragansett rivals.

A common American colonial tactic was to enact a treaty with a tribe --- or a federation of tribes --- by supplying them with muskets, and trading with them for meat and furs. In return, those tribes would support their bid to drive other tribes off of their ancestral lands so the colonials could expand and exploit natural resources. The allied tribe would donate warriors to act as guides and translators. Those warriors would learn enough English or French to do the latter. 

As for the treaty between the "pilgrims" and Wampanoag initiated by that entente, it ended 50 years later with King Philip's War. Treaty violations by the colonials and disease imported by them to America inflamed tensions. 

Thanks for the history lesson. That was very interesting. Maybe you know the history of that day better than me. I'll have to go read up some more. It's actually been awhile. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  298
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

Its really not what we think, Its how Jesus feels about what Christians do or don't do since Christians suppose to be followers of Christ. WWJD would Jesus celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas?

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,037
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,424
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

2 hours ago, Know Jah said:

Its really not what we think, Its how Jesus feels about what Christians do or don't do since Christians suppose to be followers of Christ. WWJD would Jesus celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas?

Yes, I think Jesus would celebrate.   He went to gatherings and ate with sinners, all the while being condemned by Pharisees, legalists.

Also, the Bible says...

16So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths... Colossians 2:16

27Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.  James 1:27

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

13 minutes ago, Debp said:

Yes, I think Jesus would celebrate.   He went to gatherings and ate with sinners, all the while being condemned by Pharisees, legalists.

Also, the Bible says...

16So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths... Colossians 2:16

27Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.  James 1:27

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with the Thanksgiving holiday. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,037
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,424
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

9 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with the Thanksgiving holiday. 

And I celebrate Christmas as well.

People that might never think of Jesus hear carols about Him, perhaps get invited to church and hear the message about Christ.   I also send out Christmas cards... although I might not send as many this year.   Found a good site, ChristianBook.com which has beautiful cards with a Christian message.

Missionaries report Hindus and Muslims being open to attending events about Christ at Christmas time.   

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1