• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.36
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.10
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

1 Corinthians 1:

20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe?

Where is the disputer of this age? 

Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 

21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom

did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness

of the message preached to save those who believe. 

22 For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom

23 but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block

and to the Greeks foolishness, 

24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks,

Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men,

and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.36
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.10
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

2 minutes ago, Mr. M said:

Those who "seek signs" are requesting that God will speak to them from the circumstances of life around them. And yet, when those circumstances become fraught with affliction, they seek a way out, forgetting the admonitions.

Mark 4:

16 And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who,

when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness;

17 And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction

or persecution arises for the word's sake, immediately they are offended.

Acts 4:

21 And when they had preached the gospel to that city and made many disciples,

they returned to Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch, 

22 strengthening the souls of the disciples, exhorting them to continue in the faith,

and saying, “We must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God.

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God,

to those who are the called according to His purpose. 

Those who seek after wisdom tend to apply themselves to much study, rather than to ask and receive. This is a spirit of error in the application of self-sufficiency. It is based on the notion that "I am educated, I can read, study, compare, apply logic and reasoning, and decide for myself." This way also ignores the admonitions.

Ecclesiastes 12:

12 And further, my son, be admonished by these.

Of making many books there is no end,

and much study is wearisome to the flesh.

2 Corinthians 3:

5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves

to think of anything as being from ourselves,

but our sufficiency is from God, 

6 who also made us sufficient as ministers

of the new covenant, not of the letter

but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, 

but the Spirit gives life.

The Mind of Christ instructs us in this manner.

Hebrews 3:

14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold

the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end, 

15 while it is said:

Today, if you will hear His voice,
Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.

Ecclesiastes 12:

13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter:

Fear God and keep His commandments,
For this is man’s all.
14 For God will bring every work into judgment,
Including every secret thing,
Whether good or evil.

And what are these commandments that will bring

every work into judgment?

John 12:

47 And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, 

I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world

but to save the world. 

48 He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words,

has that which judges him—the word that I have spoken

will judge him in the last day. 

49 For I have not spoken on My own authority; 

but the Father who sent Me gave Me a command

what I should say and what I should speak. 

50 And I know that His command is everlasting life. Therefore,

whatever I speak, just as the Father has told Me, so I speak.

Judgment will not be based on the Law/written Word, it will

be based on the spoken Word, which we receive into our hearts,

by the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 4:4 But He answered and said, It is written

Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every spoken word

that proceeds from the mouth of God.

The written Word instructs us to listen for the spoken word.

This is the personal mandate of every believer, received from

above through the Holy Spirit. This is the obedience of faith.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,037
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, Mr. M said:

1 Corinthians 1:

20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe?

Where is the disputer of this age? 

Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 

21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom

did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness

of the message preached to save those who believe. 

23 but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block

and to the Greeks foolishness, 

24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks,

Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men,

and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

The Bible is the most bought and most studied Book of all time. Many brilliant men have studied its pages. Some translations are careful, diligent and scholarly works. But the attack on this Book and its contents has also been unparalleled in history. The reason is simple. The fallen man is at enmity with God. The serpentine nature is one of pride, and men are richly endowed with pride. Even the most humble man must fight pride with all his might. And since men have eaten from the Tree of KNOWLEDGE, he tends to worship intellect. Great are our learning institutes, great is the good and practical lessons that come from them, but great is the folly that comes out of them too.

Man has a high opinion of himself. the idea that he is utterly fallen morally and severely hampered intellectually is abhorrent to him. And so His appreciation of God's simple Words cut him to the quick and he will do all in his power to CHANGE the meaning of God's words.

The Christian Mind:
Notwithstanding that the Lord does use very gifted men, 1st Corinthians 1 says that they are few and far between. It reads;

26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

Harsh - but true. No Christian, especially one with good education, like to hear this. So to elevate his low estate, he develops a system of learning, and then claims its superiority. But all thy have done is created what Paul condemned in 1st Corinthians:- "I am for Paul", " i am for Peter", "I am for Midrash" and I studied "sola scriptura". Then we add those who claim "critical approach" and you have a full set of kings who sit in judgment over God's Words. And all this for what? So that when God says something plainly, we have the most educated men telling us that it actually means something else.

The Jewish Mind:
It is established that the Jews, God's people of old, excel in proportion to other men. they are leaders in academics, Nobel prizes, film stars and writers. In both world wars 3% of Gentiles were active soldiers while 4% in proportion were Jews. Nobody can kep their ethnicity in a foreign land past the fourth generation. But the Jews keep it till today (2,700 years of diaspora). A most remarkable and gifted Nation. And yet the Lord of all men's thoughts said that the learned Jews were the blind leading the blind - until both fall into the ditch. Before their eyes, in absolute harmony with their Holy Book, a Man from Bethlehem, who could easily be traced as from David's line by Roman tax records, fulfilled about 330 prophecies literally and accurately before their eyes. This marvelous display of divine power was not only ignored, but turned and attributed to Beelzebub.

What are the chances of getting insight from this philosophy? And shall we join the blind for a better understanding?

The Gentile Mind:
In Romans 1, starting from about verse 18, we have God's decision on the viability of Gentile thinking. God has gifted this Adamic Tribe with some brilliant minds. These men observed nature and defined some crucial Laws. These observed Laws are proven to be utterly reliable thousands of times a day. Every airline pilot knows that at a certain speed he can activate his controls and the 400-ton-plus monster will lift off the ground - based on these Laws.  One of these Laws states that it is not possible for NOTHING to produce SOMETHING. They teach it in their highest learning institutes. And then have debate whether or not there is a God as they gaze over the vast expanse of created matter and energy.

Well has God darkened their minds - as Romans 1 goes further. Shall we refer to these darkened ones for information. God is not naive. He does not say they are stupid or mislead. he says, "THEY HOLD the truth ... ", but they HOLD the truth in unrighteousness.

The Right Mind:
How then are we to get to the bottom of this Grand Book? God has not left it up to men. True - He gives gifts of understanding to men, but the road to understanding is simply the low road.
- First we need to admit our serpentine nature - like Daniel
- Next, we need to affirm, in truth and sincerity, that we are totally dependent on the Holy Spirit
- Next we must forsake our minds when they show the slightest opposition to the plain words of God
- Next, we interpret scripture with the only two resources given by God - (i) other scripture and (ii) nature
- Next, we remain true to the word, its grammar and its context
- Next, we assume that God wishes to communicate. He wills that men come to the understanding He wants. We must take the words literally until it becomes impossible
- Lastly, we ever hold the attitude that we could have missed the meaning. It is a vast Book written by such a vastly superior mind. Every word and every thought is calculated. Nothing is there for nothing. If you understand 5 out of 6 things - WAIT. Within 5 or 10 years He will reveal the 6th. But remember ... you are just a man. To humble you, God might withhold an understanding. Praise Him for what He has shown you and admit what He has not shown you. Teachers are given by God, but you are never relieved of your duty to check it out.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

19 hours ago, Mr. M said:

For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom

I think much  of the world's population does not fit into either category, but instead is oblivious to God, or gods of any kind. Neither sign nor wisdom is sought, instead many live in the moment, much  like dogs on a bone chewing, snarling, and snapping at the air for the most part, with most finding fault in others for their own plight while expressing an air of discord.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

For the ancient world Christianity presented many problems as detailed  here:-

http://www.tektonics.org/lp/nowayjose.php#one

We are today in an age where Christianity  presents many problems to the non Christian in terms of what they consider believable, challenges to behaviour and ways of thinking.

U fortunately  it is often the poor standard of Christian living  that presents the biggest challenge.