• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,431
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

I read this in a devotional today . . . a personal testimony of the writer.  He is saying he found the Word to be real nourishment to his inner man, if he just ate three good meals from it each day!  What he means by this is to take the Word prayerfully and in a way that it is not just a mental exercise of reading and studying, and thereby it will supply life to his being that energizes his inner-man and causes him to automatically walk in spiritWhat are your thoughts on this - do you do this or see value in it - or what is your approach to actually being nourished in spirit?

A Personal Testimony

"Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart." Jeremiah 15:16 (KJV)

Many years ago I began to learn the secret revealed in this verse. After being a Christian for about nine years, I came to a point where I felt dry, discouraged, and defeated. I tried to overcome my failing self in many areas, but found I lacked the necessary strength. This went on for several weeks, and then somehow it occurred to me that I should begin reading my Bible three times a day in a regular way. So I began reading the Old Testament in the morning, Psalms and Proverbs at noon, and the New Testament in the evening. It was amazing to see what happened to me within one week. I discovered that the Word of God was food! At that time the Lord impressed me with Jeremiah 15:16.

Formerly, my time with the Lord in the Word was mainly an exercise of my eyes and my mind. But when I discovered that the nature of God's Word was food, I began to read the Word with a praying spirit. The Bible became a new book in my hands. It became a book of enjoyment, a book from which I could feed upon the living God. I found myself reading and praying simultaneously and then taking up a verse or a phrase and beginning to fellowship with the Lord with the very words of Scripture. I found I did not have to strive to find what to pray. The Word of God itself became the content of my prayer. While doing this I found a mysterious yet real supply spontaneously infusing my inner man. No longer was I merely looking at black and white letters on a page or trying to mentally understand things, which had often left me spiritually deadened. For the first time in my Christian life, I began to enjoy God Himself in the pages of the Bible.

Eating three square meals a day by feeding upon the Word taught me experientially that my inner man requires food just as my physical body does. The reason for my defeated Christian life, I discovered, was simply lack of nourishment. In studying the Bible for seven years, it had become to me a book of theology, sermons, and outlines, rather than a book of enjoyment and supply. I realized that the mere knowledge of the Bible could not change me. It was only when the Bible was translated into food by my praying with and over the verses that it turned into enjoyment rather than mere thought. I realized then, as I do today, that one of the secrets of spending time with the Lord is to feed upon the Word.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,195
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

we can see just how demanding our flesh is for it's food ... sanctification is making God's Word food more important than flesh's food...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,597
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

or what is your approach to actually being nourished in spirit?

Well to begin with I am disenchanted with the idea of reading someone else's devotion(s) and hitching a ride  on those devotions to God. Instead I find I am  challenged to have my own devotion with God, doing my own reading, my own praying, my own thinking over the word and my relationship with God, my own conversation, my own questioning of God- Starting with; "Is it good between you LORD and me?"

• Thumbs Up 2

58 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Well to begin with I am disenchanted with the idea of reading someone else's devotion(s) and hitching a ride  on those devotions to God. Instead I find I am  challenged to have my own devotion with God, doing my own reading, my own praying, my own thinking over the word and my relationship with God, my own conversation, my own questioning of God- Starting with; "Is it good between you LORD and me?"

Sounds like you don't do devotionals, which admittedly some don't care for so much.  And you interact with God in the ways you mentioned - great! I find all those practices you listed to be quite edifying as well, and always start off that way . . . then later mix in a devotional reading & consideration before Him. (and I don't always agree with everything devotionals say)

3 hours ago, enoob57 said:

we can see just how demanding our flesh is for it's food ... sanctification is making God's Word food more important than flesh's food...

Indeed, our flesh is a picture of the spiritual I think.  I'm continually amazed how much time we spend related to food - seeking it, talking about it, thinking of methods to prepare it, admiring how good it looks, oh . . . and actually consuming it!

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,195
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

11 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

Indeed, our flesh is a picture of the spiritual I think.

Was maybe but now unredeemed flesh is warfare against s/Spirit Rom 7... 

2 hours ago, enoob57 said:

Was maybe but now unredeemed flesh is warfare against s/Spirit Rom 7... 

I meant in terms of its desire to eat food.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,048
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

DULL  OF  HEARING ???

JOHN 7:16  JESUS  answered them and said  MY  doctrine is not mine but  HIS  that sent  ME 

--7:17--  IF  --  any man will do  HIS  will he shall know of the doctrine whether it be of  GOD  or whether I speak of myself

--7:18--  he that speaketh of himself ---seeketh his own glory  --  but he that seeketh  HIS   glory that sent him the same is true --- AND  NO  UNRIGHTEOUSNESS  IS  IN  HIM ---

*******  NO  UNRIGHTEOUSNESS  *******

PROVERBS 8:7  for  MY  mouth shall speak truth and wickedness is an abomination to  MY  lips

PROVERBS 8:8  ALL  THE  WORDS  OF  MY  MOUTH  ARE  IN  RIGHTEOUSNESS  THERE  IS  NOTHING  FROWARD  OR  PERVERSE  IN  THEM

PROVERBS 12:17  he that speaketh truth showeth forth righteousness   --but a false witness deceit--

JOHN 17:17  sanctify them through thy truth thy word is truth 

ROMANS 6:16  know you not that to whom you yield yourselves servants to obey his servants you are to whom you obey ---whether of sin unto death  ---  or of obedience unto righteousness ---

PROVERBS 11:4  riches profit not in the day of wrath --- but righteousness delivereth from death ---

ROMANS 2:11 for there is -- no respect of persons --  with  GOD 

LOVING  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Jhn 6:48  I am the bread of life.

Jhn 6:49  Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.

Jhn 6:50  This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die.

Jhn 6:51  I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh."

Jhn 6:53  So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

Jhn 6:54  Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.

Jhn 6:55  For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.

Jhn 6:56  Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.

Jhn 6:57  As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me.

Jhn 6:58  This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate, and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever."

Jhn 6:63  It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

AMEN!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,207
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On 12/2/2023 at 3:43 AM, Vine Abider said:

I read this in a devotional today . . . a personal testimony of the writer.  He is saying he found the Word to be real nourishment to his inner man, if he just ate three good meals from it each day!  What he means by this is to take the Word prayerfully and in a way that it is not just a mental exercise of reading and studying, and thereby it will supply life to his being that energizes his inner-man and causes him to automatically walk in spiritWhat are your thoughts on this - do you do this or see value in it - or what is your approach to actually being nourished in spirit?

Hi VA,

I so love God`s word because it is of Him. I say grace for my physical food and for my reading of God`s word with it in the morning. Throughout the day I study God`s word and then before sleeping I love to read a Psalm. There is always something fresh, new revealed by the Holy Spirit and it nourishes the spirit and gives good thoughts for the day.

I had a wonderful example of this by my parents and grandparents.

Blessings, Marilyn.

• Praise God! 1