IGNORED

Should Christmas be celebrated or rejected according to the word of God?

Bro.Tan

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Marathoner said:

No one does. It's the typical SDA/Armstrong tactic of accusing others of doing things they aren't doing for the sake of their own argument. 

Thank you for explaining the SDA part of this.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,225
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

2 hours ago, Anne2 said:

For Christians Christs birth.

Exactly.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  0

14 minutes ago, Debp said:

I hate these threads against celebrating Christmas and I usually just ignore them.   It seems very legalistic for someone to condemn others or try to dissuade others from celebrating Christ's birth.

I celebrate Christmas and am happy when there is a certain time of year when Christ's name is proclaimed.    It's a joyous season and maybe secular people who have never thought of Christ will be touched hearing about Him in Christmas carols, Christmas cards with a message and perhaps even attending church.

I've read reports that Muslims and Hindus often attend Christmas gatherings put on by indigenous missionaries where they hear the Gospel.

To me, any opportunity where Christ's name is proclaimed is a good thing.   And Christmas helps provide that opportunity.   

I somewhat feel the same way. I got caught up in that attitude years back. So I know what they might be feeling some anyway. But having been involved in the Messianic movement for a few years, I had my eyes opened some at a passover seder. Yes, we briefly partook of the Lord's supper during a two hour seder. But without all the rabbinic additions it is the Lords supper still. It seemed to others it was not. Like the Sabbath being made for man, the passover was made for our Lord, not our Lord for the passover. Same for Christmas.

Edited by Anne2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,413
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

4 hours ago, Debp said:

I hate these threads against celebrating Christmas and I usually just ignore them.   It seems very legalistic for someone to condemn others or try to dissuade others from celebrating Christ's birth.

I agree, especially when we get a whole chapter telling us not to fight over things like people observing some days and not others.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  666
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

Very interesting reading the view points of Worthy members on this subject!

We all form our opinions based on what we know of scripture, and, what we know of the history of Christmas (and various secular commentaries about Christmas). There is a real danger of reading commentaries and encyclopedias about various Christian subjects and elevating them (mans opinions and secular slants on history) to the level of scripture. Yes, they can be helpful, but, they are in no way authoritative for us to form our life style of how we relate to Jesus and worship our King. The bible is final authority.

Good subject!

Merry Christmas to all here who might be reading this thread . . . . 

Grace and Peace . . . Ray . . . 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

One more thought on this, every Christmas out comes all the people saying we shouldn't celebrate Christmas because of it's pagan roots, or because it's a worldly holiday, really all these worldly reasons against it. Well, my question is, since when did we start letting the world influence when and how we worship God? Which is what your doing.

Virtually every day on the calendar is a holy day for some secular or pagan thing or another. Does that stop us from worshipping God any other time of the year?

The world is going to celebrate their way no matter what we do. It shouldn't stop us from worshipping God.

who cares why they celebrate Christmas, what matters is why we celebrate Christmas. I celebrate Christmas because of Jesus and for Jesus.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1

• Topic Count:  72
  • Content Count:  10,225
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

16 hours ago, Debp said:

I celebrate Christmas and am happy when there is a certain time of year when Christ's name is proclaimed.    It's a joyous season and maybe secular people who have never thought of Christ will be touched hearing about Him in Christmas carols, Christmas cards with a message and perhaps even attending church.

I've read reports that Muslims and Hindus often attend Christmas gatherings put on by indigenous missionaries where they hear the Gospel.

To me, any opportunity where Christ's name is proclaimed is a good thing.   And Christmas helps provide that opportunity.   

I tend to avoid them as well but, in this case, I was moved to respond seeing as how the author is rather prolific in creating topics in this vein. The OP begins with a flawed premise --- conflating an observance with godlessness --- and proceeds to accuse those who observe Christmas of the same. Even unbelievers who observe the holiday season don't worship trees and the like. It's ludicrous. 

It's a tradition among Seventh Day Adventists, followers of the various Armstrong cults, and the Jehovah's Witnesses to engage in this kind of thing. Accusing others of godlessness is how their apologists seek to prey upon the vulnerable and the unwary. They seek anyone who struggles with doubt. "To the defiled, nothing is pure" rings true in their case since everything under the sun has been tainted by paganism in some way, yes? In the past, I would point out that the very language they speak and write is pagan in origin. It falls upon deaf ears.

I would like to encourage my brothers and sisters to pay this no mind. The Lord has never forbidden the observance of Christmas to me at any time, nor has He commanded me to observe Christmas, either. Observe Christmas with joy and thanksgiving for what we render to Him in faith is pleasing to God. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1