Starise

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,125
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

There must be an answer for this from a socialogical perspective as to why men make baskets and focus on them. Our church, our community, our kingdom, our rewards, our future. Do you see how internally focused all of this is? 

Do you see those who are not saved as just a bump in the road to our great future? A subject we don't often breach? Something that happens without intervention? I hear talk of the kingdom being of ultimate interest as compared to salvation. Really? I wonder what Jesus would say about this? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,570
  • Content Per Day:  12.12
  • Days Won:  31

1 hour ago, Starise said:

There must be an answer for this from a socialogical perspective as to why men make baskets and focus on them. Our church, our community, our kingdom, our rewards, our future. Do you see how internally focused all of this is? 

Do you see those who are not saved as just a bump in the road to our great future? A subject we don't often breach? Something that happens without intervention? I hear talk of the kingdom being of ultimate interest as compared to salvation. Really? I wonder what Jesus would say about this? 

@Starise We indeed need to get out there with the Gospel. Prayerful seed-sowing in the spirit of Isaiah 55.11.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  961
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,704
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, Starise said:

I wonder what Jesus would say about this? 

Hi,

I think Yeshua  already has said it all, all that is relevant or necessary; least for me it is all that I need hear of:  "“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.  In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.  And where I go you know, and the way you know.”

As to the burden for others, I can save no one from their plight, only God and God alone does that. I can share of my testimony of Yeshua and I can live the life Yeshua has planned out for me doing so as a witness giving testimony.

It is the Holy Spirit that makes both a general calling  to turn about from sin against God, and also the very specific call to us individually.

Do I have a burden? No, I have a duty and privilege, which is not a burden but instead an awesome opportunity to give praise to God for his mercy from everlasting to everlasting. For me there is no lamenting, instead there is  awe, awe to behold daily, hourly.

I think 'burden' can be used in the sense of 'responsibility', 'joyful duty', etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  2

i feel that every church should have an outreach ministry in the works, in some way or another. Our duty and responsibility as Christians is to spread the gospel, as @farouk has said. And it should be a burden felt by all. It was a heavy burden on Jesus, and it should be felt in our hearts as well, if Christ be in us.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,510
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

What a timely topic for the reason for the season. I will try not to be the train that derails your thread, but I think it applies and fits in. Admittedly, I have been lazy and not doing enough of "go and tell." Giving the Lord all the praise, honor, and glory He deserves, and thanks for my eternal life. The following may turn out a bit long, and I rarely bear my heart out.

Our church assembled a few hundred Christmas cards for the six local assisted living and retirement facilities. They needed some people to deliver them to the receptionist(s) at the facilities. I volunteered and have never stepped foot into one of these homes.

Last Monday afternoon, my wife went with me and brought up something I had forgotten about. While growing up, my daughter and a few of her friends got together this time of year and went to our then-local assistant living center. They dressed up, sang some Christmas carols, and handed out some trinkets they purchased to all. The residents were so happy and excited, asking if they would return every year. I now recall how proud I was of her.

Arriving at the facility, my wife decided to stay in the car as she had difficulty walking. Entering the large lobby, I immediately noticed where the receptionist's office was. A couple of other people were before me, and I could not help but look around the lobby and hall visible from my location.

Most were sitting in their wheelchairs, staring blankly into space; some were slowly moving in their chairs aimlessly to nowhere. In my soul, I sensed sadness, loneliness, and no hope; it broke my heart. I thought some of them probably had no family or friends visiting them. Some may have been disposed of there because they became too burdensome to care for, or their families may not have cared enough.

At last Wednesday evening's church service, I wanted to offer a suggestion. I have always been a tough guy emotionally most of my life. I have seen some terrible things during my military service. The only times I recall crying were when I lost loved ones and the day November 24, 2016, when I sincerely repented and dedicated the rest of my life to the Lord.

When I came to the part of what I had seen and felt, with all the will I could muster not to, I broke down in tears and felt like a fool.

After I composed myself, I asked, why can't we do something like this, sing Christmas carols at these facilities, give out Salvation tracts and trinkets, and ask if anyone would like a Bible? Show these folks they are loved, remembered, prayed for, and not forgotten, and go and tell them by giving out some salvation tracks and Bibles. We do not have enough people even to have a Christmas program this year.

Our pastor well accepted my request. Our pastor also pastored this church years ago and returned because we needed a pastor. He mentioned that the first time he was here, they used to do that every year, and he does not know why it was discontinued.

I have been trying to schedule dates and times with the facility's activity directors, and they are busy directing activities. I hope they will return my messages.

Thus far, except for the pastor and his wife, there seems to be little enthusiasm and zero people confirming they would like to participate.

Our church financially supports various Christian ministries and missionaries. But since I have attended since 2016, we do not go out into the community and share the Gospel. Most only attend Sunday morning service, and only a select few participate in extracurricular activities such as children's Easter egg hunts, fall festivals, etc.

It hurts to say this, but I also need encouragement, assistance, support, and motivation to do what the Lord commands. I get lazy, I'm scared, or it can wait for another time, or someone else can do it, all excuses to reason and justify in my mind to put it off. Some Christian role model I have been.

I judge myself and my church as being lukewarm for Christ. I want to get on fire for the Lord, but thus far, I am making slow progress. Suppose we cannot assemble a handful of our congregation to spend a few hours doing something in the name of our Lord and Savior. I do not think I can mature and grow further in this church, and I will have to look for another. Perhaps it is me, and I have the wrong view.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Do You Have A Burden For The Lost?

1858200-Charles-H-Spurgeon-Quote-Have-you-no-wish-for-others-to-be-saved.jpg.2f518d225a81f5aaa51657789ae7d53e.jpg   

The word burden fits quite well to anyone who sincerely  desires others to be saved.
No, nobody can save anybody. But we can throw/share the life preserver (Jesus/word) to them,
and if they hear and learn/understand they are going to drown, they may reach out and grab on. (another analogy :))

**** How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news ***

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes"

"He that winneth souls is wise"    Huh....really?

Thank you Starise!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

What a timely topic for the reason for the season. I will try not to be the train that derails your thread, but I think it applies and fits in. Admittedly, I have been lazy and not doing enough of "go and tell." Giving the Lord all the praise, honor, and glory He deserves, and thanks for my eternal life. The following may turn out a bit long, and I rarely bear my heart out.

Our church assembled a few hundred Christmas cards for the six local assisted living and retirement facilities. They needed some people to deliver them to the receptionist(s) at the facilities. I volunteered and have never stepped foot into one of these homes.

Last Monday afternoon, my wife went with me and brought up something I had forgotten about. While growing up, my daughter and a few of her friends got together this time of year and went to our then-local assistant living center. They dressed up, sang some Christmas carols, and handed out some trinkets they purchased to all. The residents were so happy and excited, asking if they would return every year. I now recall how proud I was of her.

Arriving at the facility, my wife decided to stay in the car as she had difficulty walking. Entering the large lobby, I immediately noticed where the receptionist's office was. A couple of other people were before me, and I could not help but look around the lobby and hall visible from my location.

Most were sitting in their wheelchairs, staring blankly into space; some were slowly moving in their chairs aimlessly to nowhere. In my soul, I sensed sadness, loneliness, and no hope; it broke my heart. I thought some of them probably had no family or friends visiting them. Some may have been disposed of there because they became too burdensome to care for, or their families may not have cared enough.

At last Wednesday evening's church service, I wanted to offer a suggestion. I have always been a tough guy emotionally most of my life. I have seen some terrible things during my military service. The only times I recall crying were when I lost loved ones and the day November 24, 2016, when I sincerely repented and dedicated the rest of my life to the Lord.

When I came to the part of what I had seen and felt, with all the will I could muster not to, I broke down in tears and felt like a fool.

After I composed myself, I asked, why can't we do something like this, sing Christmas carols at these facilities, give out Salvation tracts and trinkets, and ask if anyone would like a Bible? Show these folks they are loved, remembered, prayed for, and not forgotten, and go and tell them by giving out some salvation tracks and Bibles. We do not have enough people even to have a Christmas program this year.

Our pastor well accepted my request. Our pastor also pastored this church years ago and returned because we needed a pastor. He mentioned that the first time he was here, they used to do that every year, and he does not know why it was discontinued.

I have been trying to schedule dates and times with the facility's activity directors, and they are busy directing activities. I hope they will return my messages.

Thus far, except for the pastor and his wife, there seems to be little enthusiasm and zero people confirming they would like to participate.

Our church financially supports various Christian ministries and missionaries. But since I have attended since 2016, we do not go out into the community and share the Gospel. Most only attend Sunday morning service, and only a select few participate in extracurricular activities such as children's Easter egg hunts, fall festivals, etc.

It hurts to say this, but I also need encouragement, assistance, support, and motivation to do what the Lord commands. I get lazy, I'm scared, or it can wait for another time, or someone else can do it, all excuses to reason and justify in my mind to put it off. Some Christian role model I have been.

I judge myself and my church as being lukewarm for Christ. I want to get on fire for the Lord, but thus far, I am making slow progress. Suppose we cannot assemble a handful of our congregation to spend a few hours doing something in the name of our Lord and Savior. I do not think I can mature and grow further in this church, and I will have to look for another. Perhaps it is me, and I have the wrong view.

This is great, i loved reading how the Lord is working with you and your church. i used to work in a nursing home facility myself, so this really rings close to my heart. i wish i was local so that i could help and assist in these endeavors. Prayers for you and your church, that the Lord will go before you and make it easy to get plugged into these facilities, and for other individuals in your church to feel the burden to get involved and help. Sometimes you just need to get things started and rolling before others will join.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,234
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

Yeah I agree, I think burden is the wrong word in this instance. Well is it written :)? His burden is light. In my life I have had burdens for others or a city, state, country or just one person but I had nothing whatsoever to do with it meaning He gave it. Yes we care and pray for the lost. The sweet holy Spirit will never use guilt or condemn. :) Amen always thinking about the poor.. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2023 at 2:53 PM, itty-bitty lamb said:

This is great, i loved reading how the Lord is working with you and your church. i used to work in a nursing home facility myself, so this really rings close to my heart. i wish i was local so that i could help and assist in these endeavors. Prayers for you and your church, that the Lord will go before you and make it easy to get plugged into these facilities, and for other individuals in your church to feel the burden to get involved and help. Sometimes you just need to get things started and rolling before others will join.

@itty-bitty lamb Well, it's the Lord indeed Who opens doors, whether of service, etc.