I feel something is missing in my Christian life

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

Saying I feel something missing in my Christian life is far better than saying I no longer feel like a Christian.

That would be another totally different discussion.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Duck said:

I was highlighting the differences in both versions

ok. I saw that, but was not sure the point.   I actually did not look at the NIV version, but as I look at it now , it is short and the "OUR" is missing, which is what I knew from heart.  Thanks

Edited by warrior12

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,086
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

2 Peter 1

Common English Bible

Greeting

From Simon Peter, a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ.

To those who received a faith equal to ours through the justice of our God and savior Jesus Christ.

May you have more and more grace and peace through the knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord.

Christian life in outline

By his divine power the Lord has given us everything we need for life and godliness through the knowledge of the one who called us by his own honor and glory. Through his honor and glory he has given us his precious and wonderful promises, that you may share the divine nature and escape from the world’s immorality that sinful craving produces.

This is why you must make every effort to add moral excellence to your faith; and to moral excellence, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, endurance; and to endurance, godliness; and to godliness, affection for others; and to affection for others, love. If all these are yours and they are growing in you, they’ll keep you from becoming inactive and unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. Whoever lacks these things is shortsighted and blind, forgetting that they were cleansed from their past sins.

10 Therefore, brothers and sisters, be eager to confirm your call and election. Do this and you will never ever be lost. 11 In this way you will receive a rich welcome into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  404
  • Content Per Day:  0.32

14 hours ago, warrior12 said:

ok. I saw that, but was not sure the point.   I actually did not look at the NIV version, but as I look at it now , it is short and the "OUR" is missing, which is what I knew from heart.  Thanks

Read it again, more than 'our' is missing.

That is the point...niv (& other versions) removes Jesus's words.

Not relevant to this post, but it is relevant

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Starise said:

Sometimes we can have carried away emotional tendencies for physical reasons.

I had way too much coffee yesterday and I forgot to take my vitamins. I just had this overwhelming sense of depression for no apparent reason. Today I pushed water instead of coffee and took my vitamins. I am in a much better frame of mind today.

I really think it was the excessive coffee. I am on a med to help me sleep I take only at night. It is also an anti-depressant, so I had thoughts maybe that was creating some kind of a brain chemical imbalance. I still praised God through it, but I felt terrible.

Caffeine causes havoc with me, but I do like a nice coffee

Edited by Duck
  • Interesting! 1

1 hour ago, Duck said:

Caffeine causes havoc with me, but I do like a nice coffee

You and me both.

Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

The original post resonates with me. I knew that I was missing something in my Christian walk, and I took the "me version" of a fix and started doing things that made me appear more devout and dedicated. I worked on how I appeared more than who I was. After visiting a few preachers, and even one who laid hands on me to give me the Holy Spirit, the missing element was still there.

As I was working in a foreign country shortly after that, I went to a bookstore to find Christian books that might give me an answer (I could not find an answer anywhere else.)

Then, I saw one word in a book that spoke of "surrender." Yep, like a hammer in my noggin, it hit me. Out of all the things I tried to feel close to God, I KNEW that I had never surrendered myself. I was play-acting, I was "appearing," but I was not surrendering. My mind was still in the world and my heart was not occupied by God's spirit.

In my hotel room, I dropped to the floor and cried out with my repentance toward God. I was alone, no noise around me, but in an emotional dive = I even asked for His help in surrendering. To think, nobody with whom I spoke told me anything about surrendering. After all, I looked like a Christian.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 3/7/2024 at 2:21 PM, faithfull-prophet4040 said:

and said I went to far but I did them for God.

I learned reading in John chapter 15; 1, that we as christians are like branches having been  grafted into Jesus Christ the true vine, and abiding there, and the Father tends to pruning the branches, us, the grafted in believers.

It says that Jesus is the producer of the fruit, the nutrients flowing out of the vine  into the branches, us believers, and we bear 'HIS' fruit. We only bear his fruit as we abide (in Christ in the spirit, led by the spirit, walking in the spirit. Abiding)
We don't work for Jesus. Jesus works through us. If we abide in him.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing"

If you abide in me, and my words abide in you,
ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  John 15  (cool)

And it says we, as believers can do nothing. Wow! But, IN CHRIST we can do all things. WE do not work for God. But God works THROUGH us.  Then he receives the glory. Yet only as we abide, our head and heart are led by God in what we do, or don't do. We bear the fruit. We do not produce it. Jesus produces the fruit. We abide and bear his fruit. Much fruit Glorifies the Father.

Years ago as a young believer realizing I just couldn't do it, couldn't do all what scripture said to do or not do, a seasoned old friend told me I had just taken my first baby step in growing as a believer, and could move from milk to the meat. Allow God to carry the burden, as IN Christ, I can do all things. Abide. In the spirit.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

1 Peter 5:7 says “Cast all your worries on him because he cares for us”.

• Well Said! 1

@RTRider

Welcome to the forum! Sorry I might have missed your introduction.

What you said resonated with me.

Total committment seemed to be the last hang up for me, and I argued it with myself in telling myself that I was doing all the right stuff, but had not given areas of my life to the Lord. It's a battle I can fight almost daily sometimes as those little things come along that when all accumulated, make a lot of distraction. Some of those things I like to do and aren't even bad things, but have the potential to become bigger in the picture than they should be.

I appreciate you sharing that, as it takes a lot for some people to open up like that. 

I believe the Lord will reward your willingness to give all. In my case, He had to do some radical things with me and now I am at least pointed in the right direction, hut like you I still sometimes struggle in areas like we probably all do I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/17/2024 at 11:53 AM, RTRider said:

The original post resonates with me. I knew that I was missing something in my Christian walk, and I took the "me version" of a fix and started doing things that made me appear more devout and dedicated. I worked on how I appeared more than who I was. After visiting a few preachers, and even one who laid hands on me to give me the Holy Spirit, the missing element was still there.

As I was working in a foreign country shortly after that, I went to a bookstore to find Christian books that might give me an answer (I could not find an answer anywhere else.)

Then, I saw one word in a book that spoke of "surrender." Yep, like a hammer in my noggin, it hit me. Out of all the things I tried to feel close to God, I KNEW that I had never surrendered myself. I was play-acting, I was "appearing," but I was not surrendering. My mind was still in the world and my heart was not occupied by God's spirit.

In my hotel room, I dropped to the floor and cried out with my repentance toward God. I was alone, no noise around me, but in an emotional dive = I even asked for His help in surrendering. To think, nobody with whom I spoke told me anything about surrendering. After all, I looked like a Christian.

The Bible is a good book to help us surrender aswell ;)