Enemies

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Days Won:  0

So, the other evening I was about to post something I struggle with- loving your neighbor & loving your enemies.

It was going to be a pretty generic post as I assume just about every believer has encountered this commandment from Jesus Christ regarding- loving your enemy. I was going to see how other believers work this out in their own lives. YET...

While I was typing the post out... I had a strong thought pass through my mind... it came to me as such- 'Who are your enemies?'

Now, it was pretty convicting... I felt that sensation strongly.  Like, I immediately recognized that I have previously thought/ claimed/ assumed that a group of people or a person/ etc. were/ are my enemies... even though I have never met them. How could they be my enemy?

Before I even ask about how others are able to love their enemies; I would like to ask this-

Other than Lucifer & his ilk, and the clearly understood enemies in armed combat between nations...

How do you identify 'your enemy'?  It seems we have to make a judgement here... a rather strong one. 

I would like to understand how we reconcile the two? I mean... what if I judge incorrectly... then try to love them as though they are an 'enemy.' Would that not be sin as well? 

At the moment, I feel like I could have possibly went about this in error for my entire life.  

In a real quick search... I found this-

Proverbs 26

24 Enemies disguise themselves with their lips, but in their hearts they harbor deceit.

25 Though their speech is charming, do not believe them, for seven abominations fill their hearts.

26 Their malice may be concealed by deception, but their wickedness will be exposed in the assembly

Thank you for any teaching or listing verses or chapters from the Word that really dwell down on this.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,104
  • Content Per Day:  9.70
  • Days Won:  149

32 minutes ago, Gabriel80 said:

So, the other evening I was about to post something I struggle with- loving your neighbor & loving your enemies.

It was going to be a pretty generic post as I assume just about every believer has encountered this commandment from Jesus Christ regarding- loving your enemy. I was going to see how other believers work this out in their own lives. YET...

While I was typing the post out... I had a strong thought pass through my mind... it came to me as such- 'Who are your enemies?'

Now, it was pretty convicting... I felt that sensation strongly.  Like, I immediately recognized that I have previously thought/ claimed/ assumed that a group of people or a person/ etc. were/ are my enemies... even though I have never met them. How could they be my enemy?

Before I even ask about how others are able to love their enemies; I would like to ask this-

Other than Lucifer & his ilk, and the clearly understood enemies in armed combat between nations...

How do you identify 'your enemy'?  It seems we have to make a judgement here... a rather strong one. 

I would like to understand how we reconcile the two? I mean... what if I judge incorrectly... then try to love them as though they are an 'enemy.' Would that not be sin as well? 

At the moment, I feel like I could have possibly went about this in error for my entire life.  

In a real quick search... I found this-

Proverbs 26

24 Enemies disguise themselves with their lips, but in their hearts they harbor deceit.

25 Though their speech is charming, do not believe them, for seven abominations fill their hearts.

26 Their malice may be concealed by deception, but their wickedness will be exposed in the assembly

Thank you for any teaching or listing verses or chapters from the Word that really dwell down on this.

In the scripture you posted I immediately thought of Samson and Delilah. Judges 13-16

You probably know the story. Samson had a penchant for foreign women which he was forbidden to. One woman in particular. 

He loved her.

I believe we see the signals that someone who appears to be friendly is really an enemy in disguise. We may sincerely like them and we may want them to like us so much we have this internal argument that, no, it must not have been what we thought it was because she is so nice and attractive and has so much going for her, but really when the mask was stripped away she disliked him and was looking for any angle to bring him down. He was the enemy of her people and had zero interest in anything but his destruction.

Part of me thinks Samson knew something was wrong but ignored it because his emotions took over and he allowed her to get close enough to him to bring his ruin.

I have had  false friends similar to that. Externally they looked like real friends. They acted friendly.  This is a tactic of the enemy. A way he can get close to you in order to hurt you more.

So  my take away is, if someone appears to have interest don't think it's always good. Be very cautious.  Yes the Lord can save these people as well. 

The enemy can come as a friend. They will eventually be exposed, but don't let them take you down before it happens. Evil often looks good.

Jesus hung out with people who were into all kinds of things and in order for us to follow our purposes we may be in similar situations. We can't let them rub off. As much as we would like to think they are one way, the Lord will reveal otherwise.

The enemy comes to steal kill and destroy. When a thief steals he does it in secret. You can't destroy a person who sees their destruction coming.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,930
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  231
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Are the people we fight in a war really our enemies? We dont know them as individuals we fight because two governments or rulers have decreed that we will do so .  I grew up hearing from my grandparents about truces at Christmas when the " enemies " played football and shared food and drink then went back to killing each other once the day of truce was over 

I dont have the energy left at my time of life to hate anyone and we would need to be personally betrayed in my humble opinion to call someone an enemy . I am not sure even then I could honestly say someone was an enemy just that I no longer trust them nor do I want them in my life ..doesnt mean I hate them 

• Well Said! 1

@Starise

Thank you for this.  I agree largely with what you wrote.

That's how I have mainly went about about things... and I am lucky to be married so I don't have to worry about 'that' side of friends.

Appreciate your reply.

2 minutes ago, ladypeartree said:

Are the people we fight in a war really our enemies? We dont know them as individuals we fight because two governments or rulers have decreed that we will do so .  

I dont have the energy left at my time of life to hate anyone and we would need to be personally betrayed in my humble opinion to call someone an enemy . 

@ladypeartree

This is more to the 'thought' that ran through my mind.  Who could I claim as an enemy? What does scripture say about this?  I have labeled people in my past and present as enemies... but are they according to the Word?

From the Word... enemies that can be clearly identified are-

our adversary- Satan

Enemies of God- Tents of Edom

Some who could be considered "wolves" or false-propheta

our own flesh.

What else? Whom else?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,148
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

8 minutes ago, Gabriel80 said:

@ladypeartree

This is more to the 'thought' that ran through my mind.  Who could I claim as an enemy? What does scripture say about this?  I have labeled people in my past and present as enemies... but are they according to the Word?

From the Word... enemies that can be clearly identified are-

our adversary- Satan

Enemies of God- Tents of Edom

Some who could be considered "wolves" or false-propheta

our own flesh.

What else? Whom else?

Anyone who hates you and treats you bad or persecutes you.

Matthew 5:44 "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." 

Luke 6:27-28 "Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you." 

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,930
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  231
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Just because someone claims to hate me doesnt make them my enemy of I refuse to hate them 

• Thumbs Up 2

47 minutes ago, RdJ said:

Anyone who hates you and treats you bad or persecutes you.

Matthew 5:44 "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." 

Luke 6:27-28 "Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you." 

That's too simple.

(Just kidding.)

Thank you!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.33
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.98
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

As those under the covenant of "the sure mercies of David" and his house and throne, we should look to his writings under the Anointing to guide us in these matters. The word enemies appears 80X in the Psalms.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/search.cfm?Criteria=enemies&t=KJV#s=s_primary_19_1

For example,

Psalm 89:

50 Remember, Lord, the reproach of Your servants—
How I bear in my bosom the reproach of all the many peoples,

51 With which Your enemies have reproached, O Lord,
With which they have reproached the footsteps of Your anointed.

52 Blessed be the Lord forevermore!
Amen and Amen.

One lovely proverb uses the word enemies:

Proverbs 16:7 When a man's ways please the LORD, 

he makes even his enemies be at peace with him.

Enemy appears an additional 25X in the Psalms

https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/search.cfm?Criteria=enemy&t=KJV#s=s_primary_19_1

A lovely prayer:

Psalm 64:

1 Hear my voice, O God, in my meditation;
Preserve my life from fear of the enemy.
2 Hide me from the secret plots of the wicked,
From the rebellion of the workers of iniquity,

A proverb quoted by Paul in Romans 12

Proverbs 25:

21 If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat;
And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink;
22 For so you will heap coals of fire on his head,
And the Lord will reward you.

Wise advice

Proverbs 24:

17 Do not rejoice when your enemy falls,
And do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles;
18 Lest the Lord see it, and it displease Him,
And He turn away His wrath from him.

I should include v. 16 for encouragement

16 For a righteous man may fall seven times
And rise again,
But the wicked shall fall by calamity.

Hope this was helpful.

I tend to be a bit didactic when it comes to God's Word

Edited by Mr. M
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,304
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The enemy is the ones who support lie... as lie has nothing of God within it... The Lord has brought Himself in The Person of The Holy Spirit to dwell within His children and God's Word is our weaponry and defense so as not to become part and parcel to the lie ever again... In this we have the infinite supply of Love and we can spend it lavishly here and now upon all we are near... the miracle is to be set free from the lie in so doing we have the power of Truth/Christ...
John 14:6 (KJV)

[6] Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

When the world sees that which we have began in means little to us... then they are forced to see an attachment to that which is not of here... 
Galatians 6:10 (KJV)

[10] As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1