• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,626
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, Perhaps I am blind this morning (or brain dead), but I cannot find the word Christian being used in my English language versions of the Bible*, Nor do I find true except "I am the true vine".

With that I am wondering just what one means when they might say that a person is not a true Christian, or that they themselves are a true Christian. Are true and Christian extrabiblical words of description? Much like Trinity is? Kind of a conclusion reached rather than an actual  Bible word.

Is there such a thing as a true Christian? 

* But for three exceptions

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,372
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

With that I am wondering just what one means when they might say that a person is not a true Christian, or that they themselves are a true Christian.

I think there is a valid, Bible-based, distinction between those who hold a sincere, enduring faith, and those who are "Christian" in a shallow, nominal sense only.

However, I also think that those who presume to know the status of another person's faith have potentially fallen into a trap - having aligned themselves with "the accuser of our brethren" (Revelation 12:10).

Frivolous accusations against those ministering in the name of Christ demonstrate a deficiency in the reverent fear of God - presuming to know what God is doing based on our own, limited and potentially flawed, understanding of things - and therefore potentially speaking against a legitimate work of God.

There is a place for testing, and judging, and examining fruit - but the state of one's heart is exclusively God's purview. It is my view that we should therefore be much more circumspect about weighing in on such matters - lest we unintentionally curse a fellow citizen of the Kingdom of God.

I would therefore be wary of the spiritual maturity of someone inclined to label specific people (including themselves) as either true or not true Christians.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Perhaps I am blind this morning (or brain dead), but I cannot find the word Christian being used in my English language versions of the Bible*, Nor do I find true except "I am the true vine".

With that I am wondering just what one means when they might say that a person is not a true Christian, or that they themselves are a true Christian. Are true and Christian extrabiblical words of description? Much like Trinity is? Kind of a conclusion reached rather than an actual  Bible word.

The Lord provides examples of who are true Christians and those who aren't. In Matthew 7:21-23, the Lord describes a group of individuals who thought they were true Christians, to whom the Lord replies--his never having known them. True Christians you will know by their fruits (Matthew 7:20).

Matthew 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Interesting! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,412
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Yeah, there's those three instances of Christian being used in the Bible. With the term being used internally I wouldn't personally consider it extrabiblical. It's just not used much. Instead of Christians the Bible more often speaks of the church.

I do think the term "true Christian" is extrabiblical, but the concept exists because its opposite is spoken of. Hypocrisy is something Jesus spoke out against a lot, and it stands out to me that the only group He seemed especially vocal in speaking out against were hypocrites and people trying to exploit faith for their own gain. Jesus and others in the New Testament also speak of false teachers.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Interesting! 1

• Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,335
  • Content Per Day:  2.79

kjv

Acts 11

26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Does this count?

Edited by NConly
add
  • Thumbs Up 3

33 minutes ago, NConly said:

kjv

Acts 11

26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Does this count?

Yes, and Acts 26:28, plus 1 peter 4:16

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AnOrangeCat said:

Jesus and others in the New Testament also speak of false teachers.

Interesting of course! In that sense then maybe there are true teachers or teachers of truth, and false teachers or teachers that teach what is essentially a falsehood or lie.

Perhaps all could be Christians? ??? Some just more correct than others. seems many an excellent teacher each a Christian has found error in their own teaching and changed their understandings on issues they had previously held as close truth or doctrine.

Can a true teacher a Christian teach error? I guess so!

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

5 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Try using biblegateway.

I did a quick search and it found:-https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=Christian&version=NIV

• Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,412
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Perhaps all could be Christians? ??? Some just more correct than others. seems many an excellent teacher each a Christian has found error in their own teaching and changed their understandings on issues they had previously held as close truth or doctrine.

Can a true teacher a Christian teach error? I guess so!

I feel like intentions matter. We're all human and thus imperfect and prone to error. But I'd say there's a distinction between someone who genuinely believes and is error and someone taking on the mantle of a teacher in the name of their own gain.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,190
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  98

8 hours ago, Neighbor said:

As others have responded, "Christian" does indeed appear in the scriptures. However, "true Christian" does not, nor does "true disciple" for that matter. There's also the modern context of "Christian" to consider. NConly shares the passage from Acts where disciples were first called "Christians" so according to the scriptural definition, a Christian is a disciple of Jesus Christ. 

The problem we encounter has to do with a widespread compulsion to judge others to determine if they are a "true" Christian or not. There is only one whom we ought to judge in such a way, and that one is our own selves. As for others, the commandment of the Lord is clear and concise; to wit, that we love one another as He loves us and, love our neighbor as ourselves. Both of those commandments are one and the same. 

That has nothing to do with judging teaching and the like, something we are called upon to do so that we don't find ourselves led astray. However, abstaining from accusatory finger-pointing and rhetoric is the rule to be sure for we are only judging doctrine, not individuals with regard to their standing with the Lord. Correction in meekness is called for, not accusation and strife. It is not our place to judge whether someone else is a "true Christian" or not, either. Why? We simply don't know, brother. 

The one who is judged and slandered by the self-righteous will be revealed as the beloved of the Lord. The unrighteous judge will be judged by the same measure by the Lord Himself. 

Edited by Marathoner
typo and clarity
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1