mrcorey

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  363
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Is fasting in the New Testament? What should be our motives for fasting? Is it to get prayers answered or what? If it is to get our prayers answered, isn't it in a way trying to twist God's arm?

I have fasted in the past and the only results I got were very strong hunger pains.

in Him;

corey

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  145
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/23/1973

Is fasting in the New Testament? What should be our motives for fasting? Is it to get prayers answered or what? If it is to get our prayers answered, isn't it in a way trying to twist God's arm?

I have fasted in the past and the only results I got were very strong hunger pains.

in Him;

corey

Matthew 6 NIV (New International Version) mentions it.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  397
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

in Him;

corey

It is good to bring up fasting. Fasting is a powerful way to enter into our spirit. The motives for fasting is a good question. It is not specifically to get prayers answered but more primarily to seek the Lord so that you may find an answer.

It is not to fast and pray "Lord, please get me that brand new car" but "Lord, show me what I need to do. Light my path."

How long were your fast? And how did you break them?

• Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  363
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,229
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Corey, it has been my experience that fasting brings my spirit to a higher level and helps me focus on being in contact with the Sprit. This contact puts me into a closer relationship with the Lord and lets me be in more powerful contact with Him.

I've never fasted over a single thing but once, and that worked out well as best i can tell, but is was not pretty..... long story.

In some cases when you come in contact with some high level demonic forces one needs that close relationship and contact with the Lord to deal with it. I really think it makes a person stronger spiritually, but I don't know exactly why.

another good thing is it lets your stomach shrink and if you don't over eat when you break your fast it helps greatly in weight controll. (I'll probably get roasted for that little statement, even though it's true).

se

Breaking the fast refers to the first thing you eat after fasting. Remember that you may (or should) drink water during your fast. The most you can go without water is 3 days...but you should drink plenty of water during the fast.

The longer the fast, the more carefully you need to be in breaking the fast. Since your stomach has been without food for a long time, it has grown accustomed to it. So eating a huge meal of steak and potatoes will send your system into shock. You want to eat something like watermelon or steamed vegetables to break an extended fast. And you don't want to eat too much at one time.

When we fast, we dedicate it to the Lord and for His purpose. You can grow spiritually through this, even if it seems like nothing has happened.

Guest represent

Acts 14:23 is one example

Fasting is a period of self-dential; therefore, fasting means something that you give up - that's important to you.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

fasting is all over the new testement, in acts, the saints fasted.

God can lead you into a time of fasting, but it's totally ok to go ahead and initiate a fast. People fast for healing, general spiritual growth. John Wesley found fasting so benificial that he tried to mandate it for pastors, but he couldn't find enought scriptual backing.

KEY: You must not only abstain from whatever it is, but SET YOUR SELF APART FOR GOD DURING THIS TIME.

Pray. Read your bible, and focus on Jesus. Do those things for God that you have been putting off.

Phsical advice on fasting:

1.Don't break a fast at McDonalds. You'll puke. Go easy on your poor little stomach, and start with some diluted juice and a well-chewed salad.

2.Don't bother taking pain killers while on a fast. You'll throw those up too. At least I do.

3.My breath also stinks more when I fast. So I brush more often.

4. Lack of energy. Go for prayer walks. I know a person won't feel like it, but it dies help. And don't be afraid to take naps.

Other people: It's a very special thing to keep fasting time between you and God. But depending on your situation, you may think it best to tell your doctor, parent, spouse, etc. But definetly don't tell people that don't need to know. And tell the people that you do tell not to tell anyother people. :whistling:

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Oh, more on the physical side of fasting- if you get caffine headaches, and you have a scheduled fast coming up, go ahead and quit the caffine 3 days before day 1 of the fast.

fasting is all over the new testement, in acts, the saints fasted.

God can lead you into a time of fasting, but it's totally ok to go ahead and initiate a fast. People fast for healing, general spiritual growth. John Wesley found fasting so benificial that he tried to mandate it for pastors, but he couldn't find enought scriptual backing.

KEY: You must not only abstain from whatever it is, but SET YOUR SELF APART FOR GOD DURING THIS TIME.

Pray. Read your bible, and focus on Jesus. Do those things for God that you have been putting off.

Phsical advice on fasting:

1.Don't break a fast at McDonalds. You'll puke. Go easy on your poor little stomach, and start with some diluted juice and a well-chewed salad.

2.Don't bother taking pain killers while on a fast. You'll throw those up too. At least I do.

3.My breath also stinks more when I fast. So I brush more often.

4. Lack of energy. Go for prayer walks. I know a person won't feel like it, but it dies help. And don't be afraid to take naps.

Other people: It's a very special thing to keep fasting time between you and God. But depending on your situation, you may think it best to tell your doctor, parent, spouse, etc. But definetly don't tell people that don't need to know. And tell the people that you do tell not to tell anyother people. :whistling:

Amen.

I was wondering, why do you say "don't tell people that don't need to know. And tell the people that you do tell not to tell any other people."? Just curious.