• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,443
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

Read this today and I'm considering it's validity.  Is it true that Paul, and others, were really focused on other's knowing and experiencing Christ in their daily lives, instead of trying to solve their problems?  And the author equates the knowing of Christ as "thinking the one thing" as mentioned in Philippians 2:2.  So should we be all caught-up in trying to solve ours and other people's problems, or should our main focus be to facilitate "take problem to Jesus"?

Solving Problems or Experiencing Christ?

"For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain."   Philippians 1:21

To understand the spiritual nature of the New Testament, we need to ask a question: Did Paul solve problems or did he lead people into experiencing Christ? Where in the New Testament letters did Paul solve problems? What problem did he solve as an end in itself? What issue did Paul get involved in to solve? Have you ever considered this question? We all should go back to reread the New Testament and ask, What problems did Peter, John, Paul, and the other apostles solve? Did they solve people's problems or lead people to experience Christ? Of course, we know there were many problems among the Corinthians, but when we investigate how Paul solved the problems, we discover that he did one thing--he led them to experience Christ.

In our natural life we are prone to solve problems. We are looking for answers. We are seeking solutions. We want things to be cleared up and go away. We want to "right" what is "wrong." We are hoping for our environments to change for the better. We live in our imagined expectations. We want situations to be such that our soul would be at ease and find relief. Our souls are enmeshed in solving problems in many things in our daily life. In our natural life we are in the realm of solving problems. But with the supply of the Spirit in our spirit, we are in the realm of thinking the one thing--to experience Christ.

Paul's burden with the Philippians was not merely to solve their problem of disharmony, but to lead them to be supplied to think the one thing, Christ. To think the one thing is our greatest need. The way we can tell we are a supplied person is that we relate to matters and environments not by merely solving problems, but by experiencing a deeper, richer Christ.

From The Supplied Life by B. Freeman

• This is Worthy 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  4.58
  • Days Won:  1

Experiencing Christ can solve a great many problems.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,969
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

4 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

Read this today and I'm considering it's validity.  Is it true that Paul, and others, were really focused on other's knowing and experiencing Christ in their daily lives, instead of trying to solve their problems?  And the author equates the knowing of Christ as "thinking the one thing" as mentioned in Philippians 2:2.  So should we be all caught-up in trying to solve ours and other people's problems, or should our main focus be to facilitate "take problem to Jesus"?

Solving Problems or Experiencing Christ?

"For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain."   Philippians 1:21

To understand the spiritual nature of the New Testament, we need to ask a question: Did Paul solve problems or did he lead people into experiencing Christ? Where in the New Testament letters did Paul solve problems? What problem did he solve as an end in itself? What issue did Paul get involved in to solve? Have you ever considered this question? We all should go back to reread the New Testament and ask, What problems did Peter, John, Paul, and the other apostles solve? Did they solve people's problems or lead people to experience Christ? Of course, we know there were many problems among the Corinthians, but when we investigate how Paul solved the problems, we discover that he did one thing--he led them to experience Christ.

In our natural life we are prone to solve problems. We are looking for answers. We are seeking solutions. We want things to be cleared up and go away. We want to "right" what is "wrong." We are hoping for our environments to change for the better. We live in our imagined expectations. We want situations to be such that our soul would be at ease and find relief. Our souls are enmeshed in solving problems in many things in our daily life. In our natural life we are in the realm of solving problems. But with the supply of the Spirit in our spirit, we are in the realm of thinking the one thing--to experience Christ.

Paul's burden with the Philippians was not merely to solve their problem of disharmony, but to lead them to be supplied to think the one thing, Christ. To think the one thing is our greatest need. The way we can tell we are a supplied person is that we relate to matters and environments not by merely solving problems, but by experiencing a deeper, richer Christ.

From The Supplied Life by B. Freeman

I will venture there is an overlap. To continually experience Christ is to continually solve problems. I look for that in all things material and spiritual. For me it is a given that the apostles and saints are used of God to that end.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  4.58
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

I will venture there is an overlap. To continually experience Christ is to continually solve problems. I look for that in all things material and spiritual. For me it is a given that the apostles and saints are used of God to that end.

Amen brother! He solved many of my issues!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

32 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Right!  But if we focus on problems, we get maybe some solved problems . . . along with anxiety, and in the end little eternal profit. But a focus on knowing Christ and experiencing Him in the midst of our problems ("take problem to Jesus") results in eternal profit!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,219
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

So good VA,

And the Lord Himself does this when addressing the 7 churches in Revelation. 

The Lord addresses each group particularly, giving words of commendation and encouragement or chastisement and warnings. Christ then counsels each group presenting Himself in clarity and truth. The response is but to repent and obey His Holy Spirit. 

For example - 

7. Laodicea - Man`s Character and his Purposes.    (Rev. 3: 14 – 19)                                                                                                                      

Christ reveals Himself to this group as the Originator (Beginning) & the one who will

Terminate all things, (Amen) plus the one who oversees all in between. It is His purposes

that will prevail, not man`s. 

`These things says the Amen, ......the Beginning of the creation of God.`

(Rev. 3: 14)

This group believe that by partnering with the world system they can transform & change

the world bringing peace, hope & justice, through man`s efforts. This is shown by their

name, which reveals their character & motives.

Laodicea -  `Laos` - people,   & `dike` - justice,     meaning – the people`s justice.

This is spiritual adultery, joining with the world & not relying on the Lord.

`....friendship with the world is enmity with God.`      (James 4: 4)

Friendship – from the Gk word, `philia`  friendship & `philos` friend, associate, partner

This group also look to the world for leadership techniques & business strategies, measuring their success by worldly standards.

`I am rich, have become wealthy, & have need of nothing.`

(Rev. 3: 17)

The Lord however chastises them quite severely saying that He sees them as -

`wretched, miserable, poor, blind & naked -`

(Rev. 3: 17)   

This group should have been a `Witness` to the world of the power of God to change people.

They should have been `faithful` to show that it is by His Spirit people are changed, & not by man`s efforts – promotions of organisations, entertainment, or big events etc.

They should have been `true` to God`s word declaring that He will judge the world, instead of saying that He is transforming it for the better.

The Lord  `the faithful & True Witness` then addresses their watered down witness or `lukewarmness.`  He tells them quite strongly, that unless they repent He will `vomit ` them out of His mouth.(Rev. 3: 16)  He then counsels them to know Him as their source -  

`buy from Me gold....white garments...& anoint your eyes...`

(Rev. 3: 18)  

Gold  -  Faith in Christ & not in man.    (1 Peter 1: 7)

White Garments -  Christ`s righteousness not man`s efforts.  (Titus 3: 5 & 6)

Anoint your eyes -  Insight by the Holy Spirit into Christ`s purposes, & not man`s purposes.

(John 16: 13)

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

Paul did heal the sick and raise the dead.  Those are huge problems that affected people. They were done so in the preaching and teaching of the gospel, as part of the overall well being of men.

Solving problems is part of the natural world that we live and which has evolved into this huge machine that we have to deal with.  Some men are chosen to do the dedicated task of leading men to Christ. Are pastors ordained by men or God ?.  The Christian is always reminded though, that he is a soul winner and his task is always at hand in the different situations that he encounters daily.

Luke 9

62 Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Paul did heal the sick and raise the dead.  Those are huge problems that affected people. They were done so in the preaching and teaching of the gospel, as part of the overall well being of men.

Solving problems is part of the natural world that we live and which has evolved into this huge machine that we have to deal with.  Some men are chosen to do the dedicated task of leading men to Christ. Are pastors ordained by men or God ?.  The Christian is always reminded though, that he is a soul winner and his task is always at hand in the different situations that he encounters daily.

Luke 9

62 Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”

It's true that sick were healed, etc. by the apostles.  However, we know healing is not the final answer to the problems of life - Jesus is.  I think what the author (quoted in the OP) is conveying is that Paul/apostles main purpose was always bringing people to Christ and showing them that the ongoing experience of Christ in their lives was what was needed . . . the "what" was actually a "Who."  The miracles and other manifestations were a means to that end, that is, showing that Christ Himself is always the answer.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/13/2024 at 3:54 PM, Vine Abider said:

So should we be all caught-up in trying to solve ours and other people's problems, or should our main focus be to facilitate "take problem to Jesus"?

Realistically though, problems are not solved on their own. It takes effort from both our human abilities and our spiritual journey .  Does not matter if we focus on just the spiritual part of our life, the cows still have to be milked, the roof still has to be replaced and sometime, if not often ,the help of community relief those burdens.  

The spiritual supplication that is sent up, works in ways as each experience and accepts their answer. The main difference is that, the physical part of our life we can see before us and the spiritual is as to the testimony of the receiver.   So, with his testimony, he shares of the wonder of the living God.    

Paul was called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of Christ.   If a believer feels that conviction, then he has to emulate Paul's life, which is a task that you have to be prepared for.  In our spiritual journey as a "born again" believer, we now have that built in conviction to share the gospel. 

Your question though, if one is not careful, can lead to neglect in family and other areas, so I think a balance has to be struck.  

Edited by warrior12
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,174
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  98

3 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

It's true that sick were healed, etc. by the apostles.  However, we know healing is not the final answer to the problems of life - Jesus is.  I think what the author (quoted in the OP) is conveying is that Paul/apostles main purpose was always bringing people to Christ and showing them that the ongoing experience of Christ in their lives was what was needed . . . the "what" was actually a "Who."  The miracles and other manifestations were a means to that end, that is, showing that Christ Himself is always the answer.

We know that the Lord doesn't always heal or relieve us. It's true that I have been the recipient of the Lord's power on more than one occasion, but it's important to emphasize that this was according to His purpose and will. More than one individual was affected by His work, so what He did is properly understood as the Lord choosing to display His power in me. I never asked Him to do such things.

I petitioned the Lord to remove the depression I have lived with for most of my life, but that is not according to His will. What did He say? It would change who I am and who He intends for me to be on this earth, so it remains. His grace and provision are sufficient for me. His grace: the depression comes and it's my place to fixate my heart and mind upon Him; His provision: I can overcome all things in Christ. Be of good cheer for He has overcome the world! As He has overcome, so do we. Overcoming is the problem all of us face, yes? In the Son of God, that problem flees. 

How do I overcome depression in Christ? First, I endure. I keep pressing on regardless of how depression affects me. Secondly, I do not capitulate nor seek to isolate myself; the work which the Lord gives me is a wonderful blessing in this regard. I'm given no choice but to interact with others and while I focus upon meeting their needs, I'm not held captive by the darkness of despair. 

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 2