• Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,716
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

What  is a sermon? 

sermon /sûr′mən/

noun

A religious discourse, especially one delivered as part of a service. 

An often lengthy and tedious speech of reproof or exhortation. 

A discourse or address; a talk; a writing. 

"the sermons of Chaucer"

Similar: talkwriting

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition • 

With that as a definition, just who plans to go hear a sermon? Not me I need not and do not want to hear what is a lengthy tedious reproof, nor exhortation. That is not a worship service, a corporate worship gathering of followers of Yeshua as I know them anyway.

So what is a worship gathering? To me it is a corporate meet of fellow believers, all called as result of  the reveal of Jesus  by the Holy Spirit.  It does have order, it is not chaos. It has a call to order, a time of prayer, worship in the form of music, and it does have a presentation of the word of God the Bible, word by word, verse by verse, book by  book; all for the purpose of education, edification, and use in daily life by each member of the gathered body. There is structure to worship, corporate worship meets.

So what is it not? It is not a happy talk session, of self elevation, nor  of motivational rah rah slogans and jingles. Worship is serious business, filled with joy, but also quite serious. Worship service is a high point, make that the high point, of each week; without which the body, mind, and soul suffers at least some for lack of it's vitality infusion.

I think vitality is key, a key word to use in description of worship services. For the word of God spoken, read, thoughtfully questioned and  considered  for best application, via exposition, is a builder of strength for use in all that is and will occur during the entire week, each week. The key to a good week, as a day, is a fine breakfast of corporate worship.

PRAISE GOD FOR THE NUMEROUS OPPORTUNITIES  TO GATHER ONE WITH ANOTHER IN CORPORATE WORSHIP!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,331
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

Three scriptural examples of sermons:

Peter's sermon in Jerusalem (Acts 2:14-36)
Stephen's words to those who executed him are a sermon (Acts 7:2-53)
Paul's sermon in Athens (Acts 10:22-30)

So, it's clear that a sermon are words inspired by the Holy Spirit, given to a speaker by God. Notice how scriptural sermons are not associated with worship but rather, the conviction of the listener according to the purpose of the Lord. Scriptural examples of worship are furnished to us in the Psalms; notice depictions of the assembly making music to the Lord using instruments and dancing. 

Religious sermons meet the dictionary definition rather well. Sweeping floors or digging holes are a more constructive use of our time to be sure. 

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,029
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

What  is a sermon? 

sermon /sûr′mən/

noun

A religious discourse, especially one delivered as part of a service. 

An often lengthy and tedious speech of reproof or exhortation. 

A discourse or address; a talk; a writing. 

"the sermons of Chaucer"

Similar: talkwriting

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition • 

With that as a definition, just who plans to go hear a sermon? Not me I need not and do not want to hear what is a lengthy tedious reproof, nor exhortation. That is not a worship service, a corporate worship gathering of followers of Yeshua as I know them anyway.

So what is a worship gathering? To me it is a corporate meet of fellow believers, all called as result of  the reveal of Jesus  by the Holy Spirit.  It does have order, it is not chaos. It has a call to order, a time of prayer, worship in the form of music, and it does have a presentation of the word of God the Bible, word by word, verse by verse, book by  book; all for the purpose of education, edification, and use in daily life by each member of the gathered body. There is structure to worship, corporate worship meets.

So what is it not? It is not a happy talk session, of self elevation, nor  of motivational rah rah slogans and jingles. Worship is serious business, filled with joy, but also quite serious. Worship service is a high point, make that the high point, of each week; without which the body, mind, and soul suffers at least some for lack of it's vitality infusion.

I think vitality is key, a key word to use in description of worship services. For the word of God spoken, read, thoughtfully questioned and  considered  for best application, via exposition, is a builder of strength for use in all that is and will occur during the entire week, each week. The key to a good week, as a day, is a fine breakfast of corporate worship.

PRAISE GOD FOR THE NUMEROUS OPPORTUNITIES  TO GATHER ONE WITH ANOTHER IN CORPORATE WORSHIP!

There is a strong culture of sermonising in Christian communities. Very strong in some sectors. I like a good message, and a smattering of visual effects but not too much. I have filled the pulpit, so to speak, regularly in the past but in a minor capacity. As one dear soul put it, sometimes all that is left are the dregs. Ouch!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,126
  • Content Per Day:  9.66
  • Days Won:  149

Everything has its place and order. To put too much emphasis on a man can go badly.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962

1 hour ago, Starise said:

Everything has its place and order. To put too much emphasis on a man can go badly.

Learned that one early on! When the shepherd falls the sheep scatter.

But,- that is when one learns whether they are following a man with talent as a wordsmith,  or following the word of God.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Michael37 said:

There is a strong culture of sermonising in Christian communities.

Perhaps there is, but for some reason I have not been led to such places, instead  I have been led to church after church for some 45 years now, always to local bodies of Christ that go through the Bible page by page, with exposition, but not as topical subject presentations. 

The local bodies I have consistently been called to do not follow a personality, they do gather for worship and work, many having their own calling by the Holy Spirit  for tasks around the world, that includes right at home too.

Plus there is a most happy evidence of generations coming that are being brought up into such local bodies, and they too go about all the world keeping home base of support building up local bodies till the local folk may lead in of themselves with expository teaching of the Bible. So I guess the question remains, in my mind anyway, "What is a sermon?" What mental picture does that word create for you all? It is foreign sounding to me, for it doesn't seem to fit what I have experienced at all.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,331
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

9 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Wasn't there one on a Mount somewhere?

In all fairness, the Lord Himself did not refer to His words as a sermon. That's our own contrivance. 

So are chapters and the like. Not that those inventions are bad, mind you, unless we stop to consider how the KJV is read in heaven...

Of course. :thumbup:

• Interesting! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,306
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  0

If its sermons you  want without gimmicks, that seek to explore and apply scripture you can try the following, they all have free online audio recordings.

Dr Martyn Lloyd Jones of Westminster Chapel London,

John Stott of All Souls Langham Plac3 Longon, and

Dick Lucy's of St Helens Bishopsgate London 

They are English so their accents can be strange and the Doctor is very logical but very worth  listening to.

4 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Wasn't there one on a Mount somewhere?

Seems a good one to recite for sure. Do teachers pastors, preachers, priests, then have reason or justification to make up their own "laws" expansions andapplications today using Christ's expansion of the commands given Moses as their basis for rules of congregates to follow?

When I state expansion I am thinking  of the  You have heard it said.... But I say  also..... portions of our Lord's talk  at the Mount.

If my Lord's talk at the Mount is indeed a sermon, I don't think I have heard another from any pastor preacher priest in my lifetime that is anything like it.

Is the sermon on the mount what readers/members here think of when they hear of a  sermon, or a worship service with a sermon?  I am simply asking, not challenging. I am seeking an understanding of what goes through minds when stimulated by the word sermon.