If you love me, keep my commandments.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  176
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

Reminders – If you love me, keep my commandments.

There is some confusion in the body of Christ concerning the keeping of the law of commandments. Jesus said, If you love me, keep my commandments. John 14:15 As Christians, we certainly love the Lord, don’t we? And if so, He says we should obey Him. Don’t Jesus’ commandments include the Old Testament law? So, what should a Christian’s relationship to that law be?

As we’ve heard so many times before, we must always interpret scripture in context and in its relationship with the rest of the Bible, never isolating verses to fit our doctrine. As we do that concerning the law, we learn from the New Testament that keeping the law for salvation is impossible.  For by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. Galatians 2:16; Romans 3:20a The law was not given to save anybody, it was given to reveal man’s sinfulness in not keeping it. “…for by the law is the knowledge of sin.” Romans 3:20b Paul explains what the relationship of the law to man is, “What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid…the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good…But sin, that it might appear sin, works death in me by that which is good; that sin, by the commandment might become exceedingly sinful.” Romans 7:7-13 To punctuate the impossibility of being righteous by the law, James tells us, “For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.” James 2:10 But there is hope. Jesus lived a perfect life according to the law and thus fulfilled the requirements of the law for mankind forever. Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. Matthew 5:17 And Jesus’ fulfillment of the law, removed the requirements of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. Romans 10:4 When we believed the Gospel, He forgave all our failures to keep the law, “having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross.” Colossians 2:13-14 For [God] hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.” 2 Corinthians 5:21

Final Thoughts: When asked what the New Testament commandments of Jesus are, most savvy Christians will quote Mark 12:29-31 which is to love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength and your neighbor as yourself. Even the holiest among us will have to confess that they fall woefully short of loving God with ALL. Though we may want to love that much or try to love that much, that little word ALL humbles us into admission of not living up to that standard. So, what are Jesus’ commandments? Whatever He says to you. John 10:27 He is the living Word of God and He tells us what He wants us to do. Not as a list of commands with punishments attached for disobeying, but rather the revealing of His will and what is best for our walk with Him in fellowship. Because we love Him, we want to keep and do those things He asks. The ‘I have to’ of the O.T. law, has now become ‘I want to’ as new creations in Christ.      ph

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,335
  • Content Per Day:  2.78

Very good Post PATrobas

Many clearly do not understand Jere 31: 31-34. And even though the NC is clearly explained in NT many miss the mark of what is actually in the NC and what is not. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,264
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

23 minutes ago, NConly said:

many miss the mark of what is actually in the NC and what is not. 

Explain, please...
Thanks, NConly

14 hours ago, Sower said:

Explain, please...
Thanks, NConly

It is my understanding that many believe NC believers are to keep the old Ten commandments of the 613 old laws. I disagree with that stand. Jesus NC brings nothing from old law into the NC.

Rom 3:

31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

establish  the law is the key words. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,247
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The uniqueness of the New Covenant of Jesus Blood:
Having no idea of what it will be like or even idea to start ... I, as a little child, am His and I now desire the things of Him more than all else I began in... there is no law in this place of s/Spirit it is just serving Him while moving through the worthless... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 2

1 Cor 15

25 For he (Jesus) must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.

26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

27 For he (God) hath put all things under his (Jesus) feet. But when he (God) saith all things are put under him(Jesus), it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him (Jesus) then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him (God) that put all things under him(Jesus), that God may be all in all.

29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2024 at 6:43 PM, PATrobas said:

If you love me, keep my commandments. John 14:15

The commandments that Jesus spoke while on earth are what he meant when He said keep (MY) commandments AS I Kept My Fathers commandments (old law). imo John 15:10 says

10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Matt 15:4

Matt 19: 18-19

Matt 22: 37-40

Matt 28: 18-20

Mark 10: 18-19

Mark 12: 29-31

John 13: 34

John 14: 15

John 15:12

Rom 13: 8-9

Colos 3: 5-6

Gal 5: 18-23

11Tim 2: 22

1 Pet 4: 8

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  470
  • Content Per Day:  4.52
  • Days Won:  1

Also see Rev. 12:17 and 14:12. Commandments. Notice the S at the end of Commandments.

Edit; Commandments of God.

Edited by D. Adrien
Which Commandments?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,002
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

On 4/19/2024 at 6:43 PM, PATrobas said:

Don’t Jesus’ commandments include the Old Testament law?

Nope!

What Jesus preached is the good news!  [ Luke 4:18-21 ]

Treat people the way you would want to be treated, for this is the law and the prophets.
Matthew 7:12

...and if there be any other command it is summed up in this statement; love your neighbor as yourself.
Romans 13:9

and they were astonished at His doctrine for He taught as one with authority
Matthew 7:28

If anyone disobeys the Torah (1 John 3:4) and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ, he does not have God.
He that abides in the doctrine of Christ, has both the Father and the Son.
2 John 1:9-11

I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
Blessed are they that do His commands, that they may have right to the tree of life
and may enter through the gates into the city. ...
I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify these things in the churches...
Revelation 22:13-16

Edited by Desopixi Seilynam
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

DOUBLE  MINDED 

JOHN 12:48  he that rejecteth  ME  and receiveth not  MY  words hath one that judgeth him the word that I --have spoken-- the same shall judge him in the last day 

--12:49--  for I have not --spoken-- of myself but  THE  FATHER  which sent  ME  HE  gave  ME  a commandment what I should say and what I should speak 

--12:50--  and I know that  HIS  commandment is life everlasting whatsoever I speak therefore even as  THE  FATHER  said unto  ME  so I speak

JAMES 1:8  A  DOUBLE  MINDED  MAN  IS  UNSTABLE  IN  ALL  HIS  WAYS

PROVERBS 30:6  ADD  THOU  NOT  UNTO  HIS  WORDS  LEST  HE  REPROVE  THEE  AND  THOU  BE  FOUND  A  LIAR

HEBREWS  5:11  of whom we have many things to say and hard to be uttered ---seeing you are dull of hearing---

--5:12--  for when the time you ought to be teachers you have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of  GOD  and are become such as have need of milk and not of strong meat

--5:13--  for everyone that useth milk ---is unskillful in the word of righteousness for he is a babe---

1 TIMOTHY  3:5  for if a man know not how to rule his own house how shall he take care of the church of  GOD

--3:6--  not a novice lest being lifted up --with  pride-- he fall into the condemnation of the devil

PROVERBS 8:8  all the words of  --MY  MOUTH-- are in righteousness there is nothing froward or perverse in them 

PSALM 119:144  the righteousness of thy testimonies is everlasting give me understanding and I shall live

*** SCRIPTURES  INTERPRET ***

PROVERBS  4:19  THE  WAY  OF  THE  WICKED  IS  AS  DARKNESS  --- THEY  KNOW  NOT  AT  WHAT  THEY  STUMBLE ---

JAMES 4:8  draw nigh unto  GOD  and  HE  will draw nigh unto you  ---  cleanse your hands you sinners and purify your hearts you double minded ---

1 CORINTHIANS 11:1  be you followers of me as I ALSO am of  CHRIST  

PROVERBS 8:20  I lead in the way of righteousness in the midst of the paths of judgment 

ROMANS 6:16  know you not that to whom you yield yourselves servants to obey his servants you are to whom you obey whether of sin unto death --- or of obedience unto righteousness ---

LOVING  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1