IGNORED

What did Jesus Teach about Tithing to Christians ?

angels4u

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Fez:

But it is in the old..

Eze_45:11 The ephah and the bath shall be of the same measure, the bath containing one tenth of a homer, and the ephah one tenth of a homer; the homer shall be the standard measure.

Eze_45:14 and as the fixed portion of oil, measured in baths, one tenth of a bath from each cor (the cor, like the homer, contains ten baths).

Well, unless one is prepared to follow all of the law, I don't see the point in keeping any of it as it cannot save us.

I believe the law is now written on our hearts and we are not under obligation to follow OT law. It was not even given to Gentiles but I am fine with

those of the Jewish faith who have become believers in Christ to observe certain days or whatever...as long as they do not believe they can perfect

their salvation by the law

Quoting the OT does not give credence to the 10% application for Chrisitians and especially not for gentile Christians. How about that passage in Acts I quoted?

Peter, an Apostle, seemed to believe that Ananias did not need to give anything of the proceeds from the sale of his property. Why quote the OT when the NT

is the fullfillment of the law in Jesus Christ? We are not under law, but grace. And before someone brings it up, I do not believe we now have freedom to sin.

I believe we have freedom to follow the Lord and I believe we are free to give as he puts upon our heart. Thanks

• Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Fez:

But it is in the old..

Eze_45:11 The ephah and the bath shall be of the same measure, the bath containing one tenth of a homer, and the ephah one tenth of a homer; the homer shall be the standard measure.

Eze_45:14 and as the fixed portion of oil, measured in baths, one tenth of a bath from each cor (the cor, like the homer, contains ten baths).

Well, unless one is prepared to follow all of the law, I don't see the point in keeping any of it as it cannot save us.

I believe the law is now written on our hearts and we are not under obligation to follow OT law. It was not even given to Gentiles but I am fine with

those of the Jewish faith who have become believers in Christ to observe certain days or whatever...as long as they do not believe they can perfect

their salvation by the law

Quoting the OT does not give credence to the 10% application for Chrisitians and especially not for gentile Christians. How about that passage in Acts I quoted?

Peter, an Apostle, seemed to believe that Ananias did not need to give anything of the proceeds from the sale of his property. Why quote the OT when the NT

is the fullfillment of the law in Jesus Christ? We are not under law, but grace. And before someone brings it up, I do not believe we now have freedom to sin.

I believe we have freedom to follow the Lord and I believe we are free to give as he puts upon our heart. Thanks

Please understand i am not making an argument for tithing or not. I happen to tithe, sometimes more sometimes less, but I do tithe on a regular basis. My church and the work we do needs it.

Concerning your comment on the OT and law, what do you make of the statement Jesus made that He came to fulfill and not abolish the law?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  3

Sevenseas Makes a valid Point.......

If tithing is preached as a doctrine, or law, It would seem to me as a way to put others in bondage, and extort money from people using fear.

I think tithing should be taught, and scriptures given for the blessings, then Let God deal with whoever on the Word about tithing.

If we don't teach tithing and giving, then all giving is done out of obligation and not faith and Joy. I want to know why I am giving, what am I suppose to believe for in a harvest. There is a reaping part also that has to be obeyed, we should cover more than just giving and God somehow blesses you.

The blessings came from grabbing the sickle, working the field, putting your hands to something. God said he gave us power to get wealth, not drops bags of money out of the sky. We have to do something different in our life if we want different results.

Jesus said 100 fold return for someone that has given everything for the gospel sake (Mark 10) For me personally, working a 8.00 hr Job, I would not have the faith to believe 100 fold could come in that way, though God could. I would need something reasonable to put my faith on, like the markets, or home business. Something God could bless the works of my hands with in giving.

We all seek the areas that we need help in, and for me, it was being broke.

Be blessed.

But if pastors don't FORCE people to give them money, how will they afford their mansions and sports cars? :noidea:

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Wow. As if churches don't require finances to pay the heat and hydro and expenses to operate, as well as giving to the needy and missions. Why so jaded unless you have been trapped in a church that worships the dollar??

The only compelling force to bring us to tithe to God is Holy Spirit.

Wow. As if churches don't require finances to pay the heat and hydro and expenses to operate, as well as giving to the needy and missions. Why so jaded unless you have been trapped in a church that worships the dollar??

Well I assume that comment was meant for me so I will respond.

One of the more recent churches I went to, made 10 MILLION in tithes and offerings last year, HALF of which went to salaries. I asked for a little help, and they refused. If God can make loaves and fishes multiply a hundred fold and heal people and raise the dead, he can certainly make some extra dollar bills appear in collection plates without my help.

One of the more recent churches I went to, made 10 MILLION in tithes and offerings last year, HALF of which went to salaries. I asked for a little help, and they refused. If God can make loaves and fishes multiply a hundred fold and heal people and raise the dead, he can certainly make some extra dollar bills appear in collection plates without my help.

Wow.

2 Corinthians 9:6-12

6 Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. 7 You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” 8 And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. 9 As the Scriptures say,

“They share freely and give generously to the poor.

Their good deeds will be remembered forever.”

10 For God is the one who provides seed for the farmer and then bread to eat. In the same way, he will provide and increase your resources and then produce a great harvest of generosity in you.

11 Yes, you will be enriched in every way so that you can always be generous. And when we take your gifts to those who need them, they will thank God. 12 So two good things will result from this ministry of giving—the needs of the believers in Jerusalem will be met, and they will joyfully express their thanks to God.

Wow.

6 Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. 7 You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” 8 And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. 9 As the Scriptures say,

10 For God is the one who provides seed for the farmer and then bread to eat. In the same way, he will provide and increase your resources and then produce a great harvest of generosity in you.

11 Yes, you will be enriched in every way so that you can always be generous. And when we take your gifts to those who need them, they will thank God. 12 So two good things will result from this ministry of giving—the needs of the believers in Jerusalem will be met, and they will joyfully express their thanks to God.

I actually agree with those verses. But did you notice something the preachers DON'T mention when reading those? It only says to give to poor and needy. It DOESN'T say give to pastors or churches.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

....Tithing is something that I do believe is important in not only maintaining a church, but the missions of various people out there.

Yes, there are churches or leaders out there who do deceive.

At the same time, there are churches out there that do care and support its family members who are in need.

A stumbling block I once had, and sometimes still work to overcome....is trying to remember that....

One bad experience or even multiple does not mean that all instances of a certain thing are going to be the same.

A number of us, myself included have had bad experiences in the church. Does this mean that all churches are horrible places?

By no means! Yes, WE ALL fall short of the glory of God. Which is why each of us should seek diligently after His word and strive

to live in accordance to His will and ways that He would have us live.

....Giving truly should, be something we do eagerly...and from the heart. Even if we have not much to do so with.

May God Bless You

Dani

Wow.

I actually agree with those verses. But did you notice something the preachers DON'T mention when reading those? It only says to give to poor and needy. It DOESN'T say give to pastors or churches.

That's because giving is not tithing.

Wow.

That's because giving is not tithing.

I'm afraid I don't understand your meaning. The NT never commands tithing to churches either, neither is it commanded at all. Only giving is commanded and it doesn't say you have to give to a church. So are you telling me that if I give to the poor and needy, BUT skip the middleman of the church, I am being disobedient? Give me 1 single scripture where I am commanded to give a tithe or offering to a church please.