• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

I am trying to loose 40 lbs by spring/summer. Lately I have found myself eating less fattening foods. I have even resorted to eating salads pretty regularly. Protein bars for breakfast, popcorn for snacks and salads for dinner are beginning to pay off. Lately I have begun to notice how many calories (especially fat calories) are in our beloved salad dressings. If you look at all the different brands they average about 70 calories per 2 Tbsp, which I find ridiculous. I like salad dressing and perhaps I may put too much on mine, but just think about how much dressing you put on yours. I would be willing to bet its more than two tablespoons full. When you finally add up the calories for the dressing alone you may as well have had that Big Mac.

So, I find myself trying to find alternatives to the store bought dressings that I might find less fattening without sacrificing flavor. One thought I had was a can of chili, at 220 calories its not as bad as one might think. I have seen some web sites that recommended peanut butter, but that just didn't sound very tasty for dinner food. I also notice just today that SALSA, at only 5 calories per 2 Tbsp, might be a very good salad toping, perhaps to mix with some refried beans, who knows.

Anyhow, I would like to know what you think of my ideas and would appreciate and suggestions for other potential low calorie toppings.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  428
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

You could try a little vinegar or citrus juice with your favorite herbs & spices. If you want to, add a small amount of olive oil to the mixture because cold pressed olive oil is good for you. Also, you could just season your salad with the herbs & spices. Try not to loose the weight too fast. Eating a balanced diet is beneficial for the long haul.

Mrs. SE

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

I am trying to loose 40 lbs by spring/summer.

Keep it up. I'd like to gain 20 lbs!

I like to keep life simple and spend less. So I haven't used any salad dressing for four years.

It's a state of mind. Realize people 1000 years ago and you don't need the dressing. :P

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Olive Oil and Balsamic vinegar. Tastes good with pretty much any herb you like in the mix, so experiment with spices. Olive oil contains the good kinds of fat (not the ones you want to be losing) so don't worry about that.

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I am trying to loose 40 lbs by spring/summer.

Keep it up. I'd like to gain 20 lbs!

I like to keep life simple and spend less. So I haven't used any salad dressing for four years.

It's a state of mind. Realize people 1000 years ago and you don't need the dressing. :P

I am with you, I am trying to gain weight...I also don't use any dressings at all. There are some great salad spices out there that you can sprinkle on your salad.

Ahh yes. I almost forgot about spices. I had considered that a day or so ago. Thanks for reminding me.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,278
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

If you want to lose weight, there really is only one way.

Diet and exercise.

My personal opinions are located below:

Stop eating any processed/fried foods.

Eat fish, clean red meat (by that I mean no pork, beef, etc. but rather eat chicken and venison/buffalo meat) veggies, fruits, and natural grain products.

No white bread (bleached flour), only 100% whole grain breads.

You must stop thinking of food as a pleasure item and eat only for nutrition, even if the taste isn't great.

The Bible teaches that we should eat fruit, veggies, and the seeds of what we eat. I mean when you eat an apricot, crack open the husk and eat the very, very, very bitter seed inside it. It contains vitamins that aren't in the fruit.

Stop eating sugars.

For breakfast, I suggest eating oatmeal every day with whole grain toast. If you sweeten it any, add honey and not sugar. It is more simply and will break down faster.

Gradually reduce the amount of honey you add until you can eat it with no sweetener at all. (Yes, you will be able to do it, but it will take a long time).

That is just me rambling here. Take it or leave it. :P

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  963
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/10/1963

A young man was taking a walk through the woods.

"What majestic trees! What powerful rivers! What beautiful animals!" he said to himself. As he was walking alongside the river he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him.

He turned and saw a 7 foot grizzly bear charge towards him.

He ran as fast as he could up the path. He looked over his shoulder and saw that the bear was closing in on him.

He looked over his shoulder again and the bear was even closer.

He tripped and fell on the ground. He rolled over to pick himself up but saw the bear right on top of him, reaching for him with his left paw and raising his right paw to strike him.

At that instant the young man cried out to the Lord.

Time stopped, the bear froze, the forest was silent. A bright light shone on the man and a voice boomed out of the sky, "You deny my existence for all of these years, teach others I don't exist, and even credit creation to a cosmic accident. Do you expect me to help you out of this predicament?

The young man looked directly into the light, "It would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask you to treat me as a christian now, but perhaps could you make the BEAR a christian?"

"Very well," said the voice.

The light went out. The sounds of the forest resumed. The bear dropped to his knees, brought both paws together, bowed his head and prayed:

"Lord, bless this food, which I am about to receive through Christ our Lord, Amen."

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  265
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/30/1987

If you want something to put on your salad,

1. try low-fat dressings. They have significantly less calories. (my favorite italian dressing has less than 35 per 2 tbsp)

2. make your own dressings. Get the "Good seasons" powder from the store and mix your dressing with lower calorie equivalents to the required ingredients.

3. Get Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix. The calorie count certainly must go down, if you use light or fat free mayonnaise, rather than the regular stuff. Skim milk helps, too....

Don't worry about the salad dressing! If all you are worrying about is salad dressing, just change your focus- if the rest of what you eat is healthy, as long as you exercise, the salad dressing won't matter much...

It also might help to add water to your salad dressing- more liquid will help it spread farther, but it probably won't compromise the taste much. 1tbsp might have 40 calories... but change that to 2 tablespoons, and each now has 20..... :-)

hope this could possibly help...

Danette

Thanks for the advice folks. While I was at the store last night I did notice dressing with much fewer calories than I was expecting. I did try a chili sauce for hot dogs on my salad last night. It was very good, except that I put it on the lettuce while it was hot. The lettuce was not as crisp as I would have liked. I have noticed that a low calorie diet, by itself, is not going to do the trick. I took the advice and bought a few salad spices and will try them soon. I also picked up a bottle of mild picante sauce which I will try tonight. At 5 calories per 2 Tbsp I think it will turn out to be a good low cal topping. I am having a little trouble talking myself into going to the Gym for cardio so I am going to pick up a stair climber contraption today so I can excercise in front of the TV at home and watch what I want, unlike at the gym. I am hopefull with a little discpline It will prove to be just the boost I need to take some pounds off.