Guest Happy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

:veryangry :verysickened yes . . . i think that about sums it up. i just viewed some of the pics from the movie and the one that really really turned stones,boulders in my tummy is the one when He is down on the ground on his face. :screamingwithunbelief. how could we do that?!?!?! He went through all of that and so much more and yet we do so many dumb things every single day. this is very sad. and to think that picture i saw probably doesn't even come close to what He actually went through. thats why i am abstaining from shows like the simpsons and such. i know its all jokes and stuff but come on . . .someone suffering like that for someone who is not even worthy of it is not something to put in a lame show and make it a joke! i don't know people . . . this movie is probably gonna be a huge eye opener for a lot of Christians out there who don't take this seriously. He did suffer and He did get deformed beyond human likeness. those few words are easy to read past and easy to forget but they contain such huge volumes of such amazing love. i am too sickened to keep writing. lets all just remember how much He loves us and when we are about to get angry or tell a white lie or pass an opprtunity to serve . .think about the one who Loves you . .what He went through for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idolsmasher

FIRST-PERSON: Mel Gibson's 'Passion'

By: Kelly Boggs

Visit www.bpnews.net for the latest news from Baptist Press!

McMINNVILLE, Ore. (BP)--Undertake the ambitious task of shooting a film that concentrates on the last few hours in the life of

a history-altering religious figure, as accurately as possible, and you might anticipate kudos from Hollywood's elite. Do so entirely

in the dominant languages of the period without subtitles and you might expect to hear critics using the term "groundbreaking" and

"genius" in the same breath.

Attempt the aforementioned effort and overflowing adulation is yours, unless your subject is Jesus Christ. Just ask Mel Gibson.

The popular film star, best known for his dual role as actor/director in the movie "Braveheart" (for which he won an Oscar and

Golden Globe for best director), is seeking to portray the last 12 hours in the life of Jesus Christ as accurately as possible. Gibson's

script is based entirely on gospel accounts of Christ's ordeal that culminate in his crucifixion. In an effort to be historically

accurate, he had all the dialogue translated into Aramaic and/or Latin. At this point he has no plan for subtitles. In an interview

with ABC News, Gibson said, "For me, that's more real, and hopefully I'll be able to transcend language barriers with filmic

storytelling." The chosen title for the forthcoming film is "The Passion."

If nothing else, Gibson's new film is an innovative attempt to tell an epic story in a fresh way. The attempt at accuracy alone is

novel considering the way Christ has been depicted by Hollywood in recent years. If Gibson's subject were any figure other than

Jesus Christ, he would probably be the talk of the filmmaking world. However, since he has chosen a subject that has become

increasing controversial in our politically correct world -- and is seeking to portray Christ in a positive light -- his effort has

garnered mostly silence and some interesting scrutiny.

Appearing on Fox News Channel's "The O'Reilly Factor," Gibson revealed that a reporter from a "reputable" but unnamed

publication had been dispatched to "dig up dirt" on him. Asked if he believed there is a link between the investigation and his new

film, he replied, "I think there is.... Whenever you take up a subject like this [Jesus Christ], it does bring out a lot of enemies."

Gibson added that his private life, his banking records, charities he supports, friends, business associates and family members --

including his 85-year-old father -- have all been scrutinized in this investigation.

Depict Christ as self-doubting, fallible and fallen as did Martin Scorsese in his 1988 film "The Last Temptation of Christ," and you

are the toast of Tinsel Town.

Portray Jesus as homosexual as does Terrance McNally in his play "Corpus Christi," or in a jar of urine as did Andres Serrano in

his 1989 work titled "Pi-- Christ," and critics will laud your bold imagination.

Give three college students a story about a fake witch, a hand-held camera, and let them run around in the woods cursing and

shooting herky-jerky film footage -- ala "The Blair Witch Project" -- and you have introduced an innovation that will change the

medium.

Depict Christ's last 12 hours that culminate in his crucifixion and do so in ancient languages for the sake of authenticity and, at

best, you will be ignored by media movers and shakers and at worst someone will try to discredit you.

It is interesting that someone would try to find something in Gibson's past in an effort to somehow depict his effort in portraying

Christ's last hours as hypocritical. And if someone managed to dredge up some decades-old dirt, would it detract from the movie?

The film is about Jesus Christ not Mel Gibson. "This is a movie about love, faith and forgiveness. He [Jesus] died for all mankind.

He suffered for all of us. It's time to get back to that basic message," Gibson said of the film.

To date, there is no distributor for "The Passion." A deranged, deluded or homosexual Christ has no problem being accepted, even

embraced, by the media elite. However, a Jesus Christ beaten and bloody hanging on the cross with no editorial comment or social

commentary -- even if his words can't be understood -- is very challenging. Challenging enough for some to try to thwart its being

placed in theaters, even if it means a personal attack on the director. Another reason to rethink, "Hooray for Hollywood!"

--30--

Boggs is pastor of Valley Baptist Church in McMinnville, Ore.

Guest idolsmasher

NALYSIS: Mel Gibson's 'Passion' film: moving toward 'Gospel Lite'?

By: Mark Landsbaum

Visit www.bpnews.net for the latest news from Baptist Press!

DIAMOND BAR, Calif. (BP)--Politically correct and theologically sensitive critics may accomplish today what non-believers

were unable to achieve for 2,000 years -- make the Gospel less offensive.

Mel Gibson, "under fire from Jewish groups," according to Religion News Service, has agreed to "soften" his portrayal of Jews in

his upcoming film's depiction of the death of Jesus Christ.

"The Passion," which will be released next March, will add sympathetic Jewish characters to the storyline and have them shout

unbiblical words of opposition to Jesus' crucifixion, lest moviegoers get the impression that Jews actually wanted God's Son put to

death.

The movie apparently also will do without the Gospel account of a Jewish mob calling for Jesus' blood "to be on us and on our

children," according to RNS. "That's in the Gospel," the news service quotes the film's marketing director, Paul Lauer, who added,

"It's not in our film."

Given the inroads critics already have made and given liberal Hollywood's antipathy for anything Christian, Christians should pray

that the Good News doesn't end up merely the pretty good news by the time it hits theater screens.

Gibson's movie, which has been previewed in select private showings, already is widely acclaimed -- by Christians -- as the most

accurate and faithful film depiction of the last hours of Jesus' life.

As any Christian with a casual familiarity with the Gospels is aware, Jesus' death was predestined by God and directly resulted

from the plotting and insistence of Jews and Jewish leaders, including Judas Iscariot, the scribes, the Pharisees, the Sadducees,

King Herod, high priests Annas and Caiaphas, and ultimately was carried out on orders from the Roman governor Pontius Pilate,

who unsuccessfully tried to persuade the Jewish mob that there was no reason to kill Him.

One might imagine contemporary Jews could be a tad sensitive about their ancestors' roles in the plot and murder, even though

Jesus and His followers also were Jews.

Gibson, a devout and conservative Catholic, has explained that he set out to convey "the full horror of what Jesus suffered for our

redemption." But at this rate, by the time the film is released next year, the Passion may be diluted to "Gospel Lite."

Abraham Foxman, national director of the Jewish Anti-Defamation League, is quoted by Religion News Service as saying, "We

respect his [Gibson's] creative rights, but we also believe that creative rights come with responsibilities."

It would appear that respect extends only if Gibson doesn't offend Foxman's concept of Christian "responsibility." However,

Foxman and other Jewish critics show little respect for Gibson's right -- and responsibility -- to faithfully portray Holy Scripture.

In short, Gibson's Jewish critics presume to dictate how faithful Christians must portray Christ's Word.

The critics' hubris is astounding.

Imagine the outrage if Christians complained about Jews' depiction of the Pharaoh as a meany because it reflects poorly on

Egyptians. Imagine the huff it would create if Christians insisted that Muslims must portray Muhammad as an apostate

blasphemer because he denied Jesus' divinity. Where were these critics when Martin Scorsese filmed "The Last Temptation of

Christ," a vile and blasphemous portrayal of Jesus' last days?

It seems Christ-bashing is within the bounds of "responsibility," while accurately presenting the Gospel is not.

Gibson and Jim Caviezel, the actor who portrays Jesus, have expressed hope that an accurate depiction of the Savior's agony and

suffering will communicate to movie audiences as no film before just how momentous the price was that the Lord paid to save His

chosen.

Indeed, Christ took upon Himself all the pain and punishment for all the sins of mankind -- past, present and future -- so we can be

saved eternally. It was no small moment in the story of man. But if critics like the Anti-Defamation League have their way, how

much more diluted will this all-important message be? Why let little things like historical accuracy and biblical inerrancy get in the

way?

Not surprisingly, Gibson's appeasement apparently isn't appeasing enough.

Religion News Service reported that Rabbi A. James Rudin, senior interreligious affairs adviser for the American Jewish

Committee, was troubled after viewing a preview of the film. Rabbi Rudin insists that he knows how the Christian Gospels

"should" be depicted.

The film "should be more on what killed Jesus, not who killed Him," Rudin proclaimed.

In short, Foxman, Rudin and other Jewish critics would dictate a non-offensive Gospel to Christians. For anyone familiar with the

Gospels, the irony should not be lost. If Jesus had merely toned down His message 2,000 years ago, Judas, Caiaphas and the rest

of their ilk would have been much happier too.

The Passion's pre-release buzz holds promise for believing Christians that finally the story of our Lord will be portrayed faithfully

and meaningfully. Indeed, there already are reports of agnostics and Muslims working on the set who converted to Christianity

during the production.

"I hope the film has the power to evangelize," Gibson told Charisma News Service. "Everyone who worked on this movie was

changed."

Mel Gibson might take a cue from the Apostle Paul, "... if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received,

let him be accursed."

In some ways, not much has changed in 2,000 years. Paul told the saints at Corinth, "We preach Christ crucified ...," but that "...

to the Jews [it is] a stumbling block."

--30--

Mark Landsbaum is a freelance writer in Diamond Bar, Calif., and a former Los Angeles Times staff writer. He is a member of

the Evangelical Free Church in Fullerton. Copyright 2003, Mark Landsbaum. Used by permission.

Mel Gibson, "under fire from Jewish groups," according to Religion News Service, has agreed to "soften" his portrayal of Jews in his upcoming film's depiction of the death of Jesus Christ.

I really don't like hearing that Mel Gibson is doing this. I can not believe that he is not going to go with his original plans of portraying the real truth of Jesus death and how the Jews called for His death rather than releasing Him.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  156
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

Act 14:19 And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and, having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead.

Act 7:52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which showed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:

Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

Act 3:14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;

Act 3:15 And killed the Prince of life , whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.

Mat 27:22 Pilate saith unto them, What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ? They all say unto him, Let him be crucified.

Mat 27:25 Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.

This last Scripture "and on our children" is a sad indictment of the Jewish hatred for Christ because He claimed to be God. The Jews of that day were so full of animosity that they were prepared for the curse of killing Messiah to be passed down to the generations even to this day.

There has been much said on this thread about Christians persecuting Jews. We go back in history and find it so but we go further back and find Scripture to uphold the opposite.

Shiloh....

So, Jesus is not the problem. Christians in their ignorance and arogance have made it almost impossible for a Jew to get saved. Unfortunately, it is Christians themsevles who are the problem.

I disagree with that statement. Jesus is a problem for everyone, Jew or Gentile. I don't know if you are a Christian but if so I would point out that the continual finger pointing and guilt tripping on the Body of Christ is unhelpful to what you are trying to prevent, namely anti semitism within the church. Your statements do not encourage, they inflame.

Now we have discovered from Scripture that the Jews killed Christ. What do we do about it? Well, I would suggest that we look further into Scripture and perhaps we might come up with something.

Wow! Look what we've found,

Joh 12:39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Isaiah said again,

Joh 12:40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

Mat 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

It is too bad the Papists were as blind as the Jews. They purposely did not want to understand because the Jews as God's people were and are a threat to their ungodly establishment.

The holocaust will never be forgotten, but it can not be blamed on the church. It was governments of the day that did not lift a finger. Individual Christians who knew the truth did what they could. The Church would have been as affective then as they are now in stopping abortion.

The Jews of today are still blinded, they still have the blood of Christ on their hands. We, the church don't lay blame or persecute them, we love them because had they not suffered the blindness and accepted Christ there would not have been a way for the Gentiles to come in.

We know that Jesus humbly laid His own life down. The method used was Jewish hatred.

Joh 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

Let's open our eyes to the spiritual battle that is waging. Those who hate the Jews hate Christ because that is who He is, a Jew.

My brothers and sisters, God's purposes are being fulfilled, let's not get caught up in either laying blame or being manipulated into feeling guilty because of the Jews relationship to Christ.

One more point, we have become almost afraid to speak, as daughterofaking says, "What really puzzles me is the way some (though not all by any means) Jews seem hostile to Christianity. I hope that doesn't sound anti-Semitic as it isn't intended to be."

In the love of Christ, Ethlyn

BannerN7.gif