Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

I always thought that boiling a kid in it's mother's milk was kinda like a genetic abomination

Does that still happen?????

It sounds so cruel!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/12/1944

There is a lot to be said about the roots of Kosher food.

One thing stands out in this thread. To do with translation.

Hebrew is the original language for the OT so I would take the Hebrew as the "right translation" if there are differences....

Exo 23:19 ....You shall not boil a young goat in its mother's milk.

The Hebrew for this "milk" is "cha-lev" which can mean milk but it can mean fat too.

If the meaning is "fat", the whole verse takes on a different meaning which has nothing to do with "meat and milk" seperation.

Either way, I accept the meaning of this verse to be: We are allowed to eat of the animal world but we should be concederate about it. we should let the young goat grow and be independant of it's mother before we use it for food. We shouldn't take the young goat while it is still living off it's mother's milk.

As for keeping Kosher food. Orthodox Jews keep it religiously of course, but so do many traditional Jews and even secular Jews who keep a Kosher kitchen for "old times" sake or tradition in the past. Having said that, it is true that there is a lot of non-kosher food going around. As a child I remember the highlight of eating out when we found a place that sells "white meat". It was forbidden and so it was something to look for...........

Politcal parties are strong enough to force the Kosher issue and there are certificates given out to shops and restaurants that follow the rules.

There is still an unexplained fear of the orthodox rules, where many businesses bend over backwards in order to be aproved by the "Kosher overseers".

The Rabbinical sectors still have quite a lot of power over various aspects of our lives.

Thank you for your explanation, I also found the next website which explained detail about the kosher law, how many households would still live by these laws everyday?

As a born again person in Jesus Christ do you still live by those laws?

It seem to be healthy to live by those guide lines..........anyway I have to refresh my memery and will start reading this topic again from the beginning!

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsourc...sm/kashrut.html

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  07/12/1944

Thank you for your explanation, I also found the next website which explained detail about the kosher law, how many households would still live by these laws everyday?

As a born again person in Jesus Christ do you still live by those laws?

It seem to be healthy to live by those guide lines..........anyway I have to refresh my memery and will start reading this topic again from the beginning!

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsourc...sm/kashrut.html

All orthodox Jews keep Kashrut one way or the other (ther are many versions of Kashrut). Traditional Jews keep Kashrut too for the most part. Secular Jews...some keep Kashrut for sentimental reasons. All in all I guess at least half the Jewish population keeps some kind of Kashrut.

Personaly I always saw it as somewhat rediculess and never bothered with it. I still don't.

Yet, being antagonistic to Kashrut is partly infuenced by the orthodox political parties telling everyone else how to live !

I must say, on the behalf of those who stick to Kashrut, and to be true to historical facts:

It was mentioned that Abraham fed his guests with meat and milk (or butter).

We must not forget that this was before the law (Torah) was given to the Israeli nation.

In fact there wasn't an Israeli nation yet, at the time.

God bless :emot-highfive:

I do understands that the standards for kosher foods are very high, actually I bought veggies this afternoon here in Canada and it mentioned it was kosher food, I never seen that before on any package sold in the store.

While I was trying to get more information on kosher foods and there are many I stumbled on this article: (has nothing to do with kosher foods)

The Torah commands Jews not to eat or possess chametz during the week of Passover. Chametz is any of the five grains -- wheat, spelt, barley, oats, and rye -- which has come into contact with water for more than 18 minutes.

Alternate Spellings: hametz

Examples: Before Passover, Jews clean their houses to get rid of all the chametz.

Do you not eat anything made with any grain?

And do you clean your whole house everywhere before the passover week? And do you have to clean every object in the house ? That could take a long time!!!

thanks ,Angels :P

Guest shiloh357
And do you clean your whole house everywhere before the passover week? And do you have to clean every object in the house ? That could take a long time!!!

that is where the tradition of "Spring cleaning" comes from.

Angels, in many Jewish homes EVERYTHING is cleaned. I know a family that started cleaning over three weeks before Passover. They first went through all the rooms they didnt' use as much and then after they were scoured and cleaned, the room was off limits until after Pesach.

I mean, they cleaned every corner, and shampooed their carpets. They actually lost weight during Passover preparation with all the furniture they would have move around and clean under (they had large two story house.)

They also have, as many Jewish homes do, a set of dishes only for Passover and can only be used during the week of unleavend bread. They have three sets of cooking utensils: One set for dairy, one set for meat and one set for Passover. Did I mention they have a HUGE kitchen? Their house was built to accomodate all of this (except the rigors of Pesach cleaning :whistling: )

They clean every corner and nook. They open their books and shake them out in case they had been eating bread while reading and crumbs were still trapped in them. It was an amazing thing. I mean that house was CLEAN come Passover!!! I, a very anal, picky neat freak, and these people make me look like a slob.

It is a huge job. Passover is the most expsensive Jewish holiday, and it is the most laborious to prepare for if you do it right.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

A little off topic here, but I would like to ask that everyone take a look at the link I posted at the bottom of my siggy. I am not quite so totally anti meat as those responsible for this website, but I am very anti factory farming and what goes on in there. Scroll all the way at the bottom of the page I posted to see living conditions at factory farms. I wonder if Jesus were here today how would he respond to the factory farms? Would he have anything to do with their products? Kinda makes you wonder about mad cow disease etc.

I highly reccomend you seek out small family farms in your area for meat, egg and dairy products. By the way, do not be fooled by 'free range' or 'organic'. The standards of organic have been lowered and neither of these two terms necessarily exempt the livestock from extreme animal cruelty.

Some websites to help you locate family farms in your area:

http://www.eatwild.com/products/multistate.html

http://www.lionsgrip.com/farms.html#10

also, seek out amish communities, they often have eggs for sale. :whistling:

Angels, in many Jewish homes EVERYTHING is cleaned. I know a family that started cleaning over three weeks before Passover. They first went through all the rooms they didnt' use as much and then after they were scoured and cleaned, the room was off limits until after Pesach.

I mean, they cleaned every corner, and shampooed their carpets. They actually lost weight during Passover preparation with all the furniture they would have move around and clean under (they had large two story house.)

They also have, as many Jewish homes do, a set of dishes only for Passover and can only be used during the week of unleavend bread. They have three sets of cooking utensils: One set for dairy, one set for meat and one set for Passover. Did I mention they have a HUGE kitchen? Their house was built to accomodate all of this (except the rigors of Pesach cleaning )

They clean every corner and nook. They open their books and shake them out in case they had been eating bread while reading and crumbs were still trapped in them. It was an amazing thing. I mean that house was CLEAN come Passover!!! I, a very anal, picky neat freak, and these people make me look like a slob.

It is a huge job. Passover is the most expsensive Jewish holiday, and it is the most laborious to prepare for if you do it right.

I wondered if thats where our spring cleaning came from , I remember my Mom cleaning EVERYTHING in the spring ,she would wash everything in every cuboard, the matrasses would go outside .....and you name it !

I usuall do a room now and then whenever I'm in the mood to clean it, I think I do spring cleaning all year at different time:)

And to open all the books to shake them out I don't think I would collect to many books having to go through this rituel every year! :whistling:

I think you are very disciplined and I cannot imagine a mess in your kitchen, do you kosher foods ?

What makes the Passover expensive?

Do you have a nice Passover recipe to share? What do you eat during the Passover? ( I hope this is not too personal to ask?)

I remember making a potato dish, I forgot the name ...its made from grated potato's and its very fattening but good!

Guest shiloh357
I think you are very disciplined and I cannot imagine a mess in your kitchen, do you kosher foods ?
I am not observant in that fashion. I am known to enjoy pork from time to time.

What makes the Passover expensive?
Well, mostly because of the food you buy. There are items to purchase for the seder such as bitter herbs, exra wine/juice for the four cups, the matza plus you have to make the sweet apples mixture called charoset. Also, a little more than 1/2 through the seder there is a festive meal we call Shulhan Orech. We enjoy a really good dinner. Sometimes it is catered depending on the crowd size, other times it is pot luck. Plus, you spend more on cleaning supplies that time of year as well. At least that is true with my experience.

Do you have a nice Passover recipe to share? What do you eat during the Passover? ( I hope this is not too personal to ask?)
Jews who are more observant eat nothing with leaven for seven days beginning with the day after the seder. Some go even further and eat NOTHING that puffs up in water like rice or peas. I can't think of a Passover recipe at this time.

I remember making a potato dish, I forgot the name ...its made from grated potato's and its very fattening but good
I think you mean kugel.