buckthesystem

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

Three of the Gospels record this miracle, all three placing it directly after the feeding of the 5000. Here are the accounts:

Mat 14:22 And straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away.

Mat 14:23 And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.

Mat 14:24
But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary.

Mat 14:25 And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.

Mat 14:26 And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.

Mat 14:27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.

Mat 14:28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.

Mat 14:29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

Mat 14:30
But when he saw the wind boisterous,
he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.

Mat 14:31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

Mat 14:32
And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased.

Mat 14:33 Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

Mar 6:45 And straightway he constrained his disciples to get into the ship, and to go to the other side before unto Bethsaida, while he sent away the people.

Mar 6:46 And when he had sent them away, he departed into a mountain to pray.

Mar 6:47 And when even was come, the ship was in the midst of the sea, and he alone on the land.

Mar 6:48
And he saw them toiling in rowing; for the wind was contrary unto them:
and about the fourth watch of the night he cometh unto them, walking upon the sea, and would have passed by them.

Mar 6:49 But when they saw him walking upon the sea, they supposed it had been a spirit, and cried out:

Mar 6:50 For they all saw him, and were troubled. And immediately he talked with them, and saith unto them, Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid.

Mar 6:51 And he went up unto them into the ship;
and the wind ceased:
and they were sore amazed in themselves beyond measure, and wondered.

Joh 6:16 And when even was now come, his disciples went down unto the sea,

Joh 6:17 And entered into a ship, and went over the sea toward Capernaum. And it was now dark, and Jesus was not come to them.

Joh 6:18
And the sea arose by reason of a great wind that blew.

Joh 6:19 So when they had rowed about five and twenty or thirty furlongs, they see Jesus walking on the sea, and drawing nigh unto the ship: and they were afraid.

Joh 6:20 But he saith unto them, It is I; be not afraid.

Joh 6:21 Then they willingly received him into the ship: and immediately the ship was at the land whither they went.

Kitty had mentioned the storm, and I bolded the parts above that refer to the weather.

Now, for Jesus to have been 'merely' walking on ice on top of the water, frankly it would have to have been miraculous ice! After all, the ice would have to form and then remain stable during a 'boisterous' wind storm with tossing waves. Furthermore, the sheet of ice would have needed to extend from the shore where they all had started out some 25 or 30 furlongs into the sea - because that is how far John records that the disciples had rowed before Jesus came to them.

I think the scientist needs to read the passage he hopes to debunk a little more closely.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/29/1975

[All those people have to do is read more about that story. THe sea was not calm and it was raining, they were having a storm.

I tell ya, the times are getting harsh to take. If it was not for Jesus, I do not think I could take a minute of it. :th_praying:

Edited by Brandli5

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  429
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Well I can buy the professor's theory on the parting of the Red Sea, in fact, it's probably what actually happened.

However, Jesus walking on Ice thing begs too many questions, even if you accepted that there might be a possibility that this is what actually happened.

First of course is the gospel accounts of the conditions at the time, i.e. wind rain etc. 2nd, Jesus calls Peter forth, and as Peter begins to sink, yells for the Lord to save him. Was Jesus standing on ice next to where Peter was sinking in water, without Peter knowing ice was there? Highly unlikely.

Also, we're not talking about a pond or a lake here, but a sea. Even if Jesus walked across a section on ice, how would he have known where the boat the apostles were in, was?

Who would dare walk out across the sea on a section of ice, in the middle of a storm? Also, didn't this happen at night?

BTW, the Professor is an oceanographer, not a Biblical Scholar.

That all being said, I find it interesting the anger that this has generated in the Christian world, even in this forum. These same Christians are quick to condemn the Catholic Church's confrontation with Galileo, even though that confrontation had to do with theology, not science.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Actually, I think our "scientist" missed out when he said Jesus was walking. He should have said "surfing", making Jesus the first Californian. :17:

THen we could be Hanging 10 for Heaven!! :)

THerefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at thename of Jesus every knee should bow...and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father! Philippians 2:9-11

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  06/05/1981

I'm not sure whether to laugh or be irritated about this hypothesis. I mean, Jesus walked right up to the boat! What, did the apostles slide their boat over the ice? Were they ice fishing? Come on... :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

How does this "scientist" explain Jesus raising Lazarus after being dead and spending three days in a tomb? :)

They'll tell us that Lazarus was in a catatonic trance and wasn't really dead at all. Then Jesus came along with the smelling salts .............

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  227
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,004
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  01/31/1906

All of this trying to prove that the Bible is full of untruths/lies whatever, SO reminds me of the part in the Word where it describes the casting of pearls/jewels before swine....they just CANNOT see the beauty before them :57_57: GREAT thread, by the way :whistling:

• Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

:whistling: Fine example of the Lord confounding the wisdom of the wise :57_57:

also heard on the radio today that scientists found... LOL I can hardly get this one out...they found a fish fossel that looked like it had a shoulder boneLOLOLOL

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Hello everyone!

Guess what! *said with sarcasm* I just had the joy of watching the history channel last nigth as it went through 13 great battles in teh old testament.. going from the Red Sea... all the way to David and Goliath!!

*no more sarcasm* :whistling: *takes deep breath* What I saw last night, I am still surprise.. I cannot believe half of the stuff said last night(first time actually watching an entire show on the Fictional Channel).... However, my dad made this really interesting comment... He is lost, however, he said, "Well, you are missing one very important point. In order to say 'This is how it happened' then they are admitting that it actually happened... Are they not admitting to that Jesus was on this earth... in order for him to "walk on ice"?

However, I cannot agree very much with this because my heart is telling me of all the wonders of God and the fact that they are doing this takes away from the power of God in that it is becaues of Him that everything happened. First, Red Sea.... the scientist's theory is not biblical EVEN IF God didn't part it... they say that when the Red sea "parted" there were 8 to 10 inches of water... or so said the history channel.. in my bible it says they "will walk on dry ground"...

GOD IS NOT VIOLENT!!!!!! These people can not seem to get it right that it was judgement! We even have it in our governmental system today... you do wrong.. you get punished...

Jericho... THE WALLS "came tumbling down".. it is not a metaphor.. the bible says that the walls would fall down.... no metaphor..

... official.. I am "boycotting" the Fictional Channel :57_57: (much like I did with the dictionary because it irritated me :34: )

David was a teenager.. not 20... not of age... he was a small boy.. and it is only of God that Goliath was defeated... distance had little, if nothing to do with it....

Jesus did not walk on ice.. but on water.. as already proven here..there was a storm.. how did they get ice in the Middle East anyways(my athiest brother's question)...

These are lost folks who have convictions by the Holy Spirit on God's Word and they are trying to justify what they doing because they know it is wrong... they wouldnt' care if it didn't matter to them.... they wouldn't care.. it wouldn't bother them.. but it does.. they have conviction and they dont' like it... I pray they get saved some day.. and that the Lord would show people the truth so that they would get saved one day...

With love in Christ Jesus,

Crystal

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Well just to pour some petrol on the flames, so to speak, on our six o'clock news tonight it showed a clip of experts? trying to say that Judas betrayed Jesus because Jesus told him to.

They even showed these people examining some alleged ancient writings, in an effort to prove it,

The devil never sleeps.

eric.