• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

I saw Dr. Tony Evans at a evangelism conference not long ago, he said,"There are two types of Christians...soul winners and backslidders." Is he right? Or is evangelism a gift for the extroverted and Biblically knowledgeble?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

:24: He is right that is the 2 kinda of christains

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

1. Every believer is commanded to share their faith

2. Not every believer has the gift of evangelism. I believe those with the gift are:

a. Supernaturally enpowered to train others

b. Have an ability to develop redemptive relationships with non-believers

c. Have a divine sense of urgency in this area

3. I would not want to single out the lack of evangelism as a sign of being "back-slidden" Scripture does not do this, why should I?

• Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

With those who choose to evangelise-there are christians that are lead of the Holy Spirit and those that are lead of themselves also.

I would rather wait on the directive of the Lord than do my own thing.

We all go through seasons where we are witnessing and other times where it is slower-but that doesn't dicourage me- as long as I'm currently doing what he has called me too, what does it matter.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

2. Not every believer has the gift of evangelism. I believe those with the gift are:

3. I would not want to single out the lack of evangelism as a sign of being "back-slidden" Scripture does not do this, why should I?

I agree every believer can share the gospel. I wouldn't go so far as to say a person is "back-slidden" if they don't.

There are plenty of "wolves" (back-slidden or otherwise) that share the gospel... Just watch television...they are all over the tube.

The gospel goes out in spite of some people.

Paul states:

Philippians 1:18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

The thing is everyone should care about the non-believing. A sure sign of caring is sharing the most important message on this earth. The message of salvation through the gospel.

It isn't about being gifted it is about caring.

Preaching the gospel pleases God.

1 Corinthians 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

What good are we if we keep silent?

Are we to wait for some "gifted" preacher to give the only of message of hope on this earth?

I hope not.

The gospel not the person is the "power of God".

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

If a Christian does not feel a sense of urgency for the lost then I suggest they spend some time spent in fasting, prayer and in the reading of scripture.

Paul cared and he preached the gospel. It was his whole life.

1 Corinthians 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

A Christian should at least be waiting to share the word.

Paul exhorts Timothy,

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

The gospel is the power of God. The gospel is the message a dying world needs desperately to hear.

In short... all Christians need to share the word and the message of salvation. How can we be lights and salt without the message?

In His service,

Robert

Edited by Rober H

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Eric...help me understand...If it is commanded and as you have stated in outline form...we are empowered, placed in relationships for that purpose, and are given a divine sense of urgency...why would disobedience to a command not be termed backsliding?

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

David, I have to agree with EricH on this. I find it very hard to witness one on one for instance. I know what I should say, in fact I know what I want to say, but when it comes to the time to speak, my mind locks up and I forget what I was starting out to convey.

On the keyboard it's different, I have time to choose my words and and have time to think and no one to interrupt my train of thought. I can also retrace and edit my mistakes.

Also I'm an oldie and don't get out much and becauase I dont go around evengalising, I would hate to be assumed a backslider. It has taken me twenty minutes to type this message, which should take twenty seconds to read.....if you get my drift.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

David, I have to agree with EricH on this. I find it very hard to witness one on one for instance. I know what I should say, in fact I know what I want to say, but when it comes to the time to speak, my mind locks up and I forget what I was starting out to convey.

On the keyboard it's different, I have time to choose my words and and have time to think and no one to interrupt my train of thought. I can also retrace and edit my mistakes.

Also I'm an oldie and don't get out much and becauase I dont go around evengalising, I would hate to be assumed a backslider. It has taken me twenty minutes to type this message, which should take twenty seconds to read.....if you get my drift.

God gave us His word. It isn't hard to share our faith. We don't have to be out on the street to evangelize. We could be fishing with a friend or listening and waiting for an opportunity to share the gospel with someone who is pouring thier hearts out to us.

Sharing our faith should be easy.

The eternal destiny of souls is at risk.

I have no doubt that God will move your heart and cause your mouth to move if you stay in His word and pray for help in sharing your faith.

Paul was a lousy speaker by his own admission and yet he turned the world upside down with the power of the gospel.

2 Corinthians 10:10 For his letters, say they, are weighty and powerful; but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech contemptible.

Yet Paul for all his infirmities and short comings knew that the gospel was the power of God.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Christ died for our sins and was buried and rose again from the dead.(1 Corinthians 15:1-4) start with that.

I am 57 years old myself and not the brightest light on the tree but I will share the salvation message with anyone who will listen.

All of us should.

It may not be backsliding but it certainly does not reflect the love of Christ or the love of our fellow man to hold back on the message that could save a person from a Christless eternity.

Us old guys have to exhort and encourage one another! :emot-lwt:

In His service,

Robert

Edited by Rober H