Bractal

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

There ought not be a dualistic conception of music. There is normative value being applied to music when one distinguishes between 'secular' and 'sacred' [or whatever alternative you want to put here] and there ought not be one. Dualism is a hard conception to break out, but it is necessary to do so on the grounds that dualism is so incredibly destructive to how we view the world. It creates fears and divides that completely close off an openness to things that might in fact hold an incredible amount of value and quality just on the grounds that "it doesn't glorify God". I challenge that notion because the act of creation itself glorifies God, and the work should not be completely discredited just because of content.

I could make case after case of songs or films that have questionable content but address how the world is and in that respect, does a better job of glorifying God than say...the Left Behind series.

Grace and peace.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/28/1982

Well this has been an area that I have struggled long and hard with. As Christians what should we be listening to and what should we stear clear of. Im an absolute music NUT and love pretty much anything (except country music or classic opra).

The bands listed are not that much of an issue and I happen dig a whole lot of them. Im a HUGH rock fan so what do I do about bands like AC/DC and the like? I pay careful attention to the lyrics, always have. Even when I wasnt a Christian I still listened carefully to see if I could get what the writer wsa trying to get across. Some of these songs are pretty nasty and hard to hear.

Listen to the lyrics and see if they are anti Christian. Many bands in the 80's were already singing against Christ and god, it's not just the bands of today.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I grew up on the Beatles, Beach Boys, Buddy Holly is a favroite of mine too. The 50's and 60's are my favroite music. I love Johnny Cash and most of the real country singers. I don't like the country rock like Faith Hill. When I'm at work I listen to the 60's music those were the years I grew up. I don't like any heavy metal music Christian or otherwise.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

For me, my favorite singer is Hank Williams, Sr. I know some will caustigate me knowing the type of life that Hank led, but he wrote some of the most beautiful gospel and non-gospel tunes you've ever heard. Some of the songs can just reach down and grab you because you can relate to what he's saying. Let's face it, even Christians face trouble and disappointment; many times I've been able to relate to something that he wrote (Alone and Forsaken, Weary Blues From Waiting, etc.) and I don't think that's bad.

I like a bit of everything. I like Elvis big time, as well as his compadres at Sun Records-Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee, Charlie Rich, Roy Orbison (yes, he started at Sun!) and Carl Perkins. I like a lot of the 60's folk (Peter, Paul, and Mary) and the old rock as well.

On the gospel side, I like the old stuff. The Chuck Wagon Gang, Happy Goodmans, Hinsons, etc.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

Secular need not be "bad". Instrumental, or lyrics that don't clash biblically are cool.