sylvan3

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

There are some Christians that believe that prayer alone is enough to combat medical problems. Granted, this group forms a small minority.

However, all Christians have faith in God. My questions are:

1) Would there be anything wrong for a Christian to rely solely on prayer to combat medical problems?

2) Can praying + seeking scientifically-researched medical treatment for a Christian be construed as a lack of faith in prayer alone?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

I believe that we should seek the Lord first always. I have seen healing immediately. But I do seek medical attention as needed.

One night I was listening to the bible on cd- not being used to it- my subconscience couldn't go to sleep. So I decided to shut it off. I was in a twilight sleep- finally going to sleep, when I heard His still small voice tell me that I needed to go to the doctor in January. I said ok, I was wondering if I had something major going on. I heard, no matter the report, I am with you. Prior to going to the doctor, the Lord prompted me to go on a fast and stay away from sugar- it wasn't a total fast from food- I allowed Him to tell me what to eat. Well, when I went to the doctor- The doctor was certain that I had diabetes. I had extensive blood testing.

On the way back from the doctor, I stopped at Walmart-to pick up a few items- I saw one of those health type magazines- it was concerning lowering blood sugar and dealing with diabetes- Amazingly, everything that the Lord had me eating was lowering my blood sugar.

(I've had situations, when I'm in need-God sends others who have simular needs) Well- I got back to work and in came someone to do business with- I was being all business- when out of the blue the Lady started telling me that she needed someone to pray with her. But at the very same time an unbeliever was in my office- I started praying- I was praying for her out loud and in my heart I told the Lord that I needed healing also- The woman immediately experienced her healing and I felt like a warm blanket coming over my back. Boy was that atmosphere in my office awesome!! It wasn't long that the unbeliever (who was a witch) came to the Lord. I went back to the doctors and my blood sugar was fine- but he let me know that I needed to keep it in check-with family history, etc. God is so good.

I've seen awesome healing within my family. Also with friends, My catholic friend had a tumor in her liver- We prayed together for 3 days, she went back and it was completely

gone.

I believe that the Lord can use the hand of the physician also. My father required a quadruple bipass. We found out from the doctor what was the most important phase

of surgery and what was his main concern. We noted everything he said and we prayed accordingly. He pointed out after he is finished with the bypass machine-that starting the

heart (obviously very important) waking up after surgery, breathing on his own and recovery.

During his bypass surgery-it didn't need the machine at all-the doctor didn't stop his heart at all. Surgery went as planned. As they were sewing him up-he woke up. He let them know right away that he wanted breathing tube out. So immediately it was taken out and he was breathing on his own. He went to recovery-stayed shorter time than most and was set up in his room-he went home earlier than most. With Him, the Lord gave me warning dreams and I had been in prayer for a few days prior.

3 weeks later my mom required brain surgery (I had no warning dream-usually indicates that everything is ok-The lord keeps me posted on my parents). The awesome thing is she diagnosed herself-being a nurse for 25 years. the doctor at first didn't believer her until tests come back. She went to surgery (major surgery) less than 24 hours later she was at home-recovering. We all prayed allthough we had much peace prior to surgery.

I hope this helped.

Blessings

candi

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

"If I had the power that the New Testament narrative says that Jesus had, I would not cure one person of blindness, I would make blindness impossible; I would not cure one person of leprosy, I would abolish leprosy."

Joseph Lewis (1889-1968)

The quote from your sig line.

Jesus abolished a far greater sickness, that of our sins. He saved us for eternity, not just one illness. Through Him we have forgiveness of sins. That is worth far more than getting rid of leprosy.

Sorry didnt answer 2 questions.

1. If the Lord told them so-can happen-because he said so.

2. No- the Lord wouldn't have us to be stupid- He can direct the doctors-prayer still works.

Our family's situation still glorified the Lord and doctors were impressed with speedy recoveries.

If you hear from God what does it matter by which avenue the healing comes; instant or over a period of time. One must remain in faith until the end.

Faith is established in scripture alone and people can remain steadfast in their belief; regardless of the situation.

blessings

candi

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

I was always able to get divine healing for EVERYTHING until recently. Don't know what happened, but I just kept seeking the Lord, and not going to Doctors, until I admitted I was very near death, and as I was making my final preparations, my wife MADE me go to the Doctor. Well 10 years later I'm still alive, but take a handful of pills every day. I believe the Lord WILL heal me of this too, but I am somewhat flummoxed as to why I didn't get healed already!?!

I suppose I have a perfect right to hazard my own life on my faith, but just because I pray for somebody, doesn't mean THEY shouldn't go to the Doctor. For instance, many years ago a friend and I saw a bad car wreck happen (drunk into a telephone pole). We ran over to the car, and man was bleeding profusely from the head and the car was demolished (though he had managed to keep the whiskey bottle in his hands!). I pointed and commanded the blood flow to be stanched, and immediately he stopped bleeding. Then I went to a phone booth and called; First an ambulance, and next the police.

My friend said, it was 'not faith' to call the ambulance; afterall, I had prayed for the guy, and the blood already stopped! But I answered him exactly as above: "I have a right to hazard MY OWN life on MY faith; but NOT somebody else's life........."

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Candi -

Thank-you for sharing those beautiful testimonies. ;)

God is so good!!!!! ;)

blessings

candi

• Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

There are some Christians that believe that prayer alone is enough to combat medical problems. Granted, this group forms a small minority.

However, all Christians have faith in God. My questions are:

1) Would there be anything wrong for a Christian to rely solely on prayer to combat medical problems?

2) Can praying + seeking scientifically-researched medical treatment for a Christian be construed as a lack of faith in prayer alone?

my opinion...

1.)...Not if God has spoken to me He will heal ...If I hear the Lord speak to me He is going to heal I do not go to the Doctor..and He heals..

2.)..I do not believe so...If I do not hear the Lord speak He will heal then I go to the Doctor until He does speak and I don't need a doctor anymore ..

My faith is in God to heal me or to lead me to someone who can help me..

whichever He uses is fine with me but my faith remains in God alone... ;)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Prayer is always essential. God chooses to use many means to heal including the medical community. It is one channel he has made available to all.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

If a person truly had pure faith, faith without any doubt, they would not need the assistance of medicine.

Hey hr -

Do you recall the passage where Paul tells Timothy to drink a little wine for his stomach?

The Lord does not always heal us in our time table. There are times He uses injuries and illnesses like other trials and hardships to work character into our lives.

Seeking medical help is not necessarily a lack of faith. If the Lord choses not to heal you, like He chose not to remove Paul's thorn in the flesh (which some people believe was a physical ailment), then why not seek medical help? If your illness is keeping you from work, for instance, is it wise to neglect caring for your body?