• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

No,

I am saying that texts have one meaning. That meaning is the one the author of the text willed to convey using normal rules of grammar context etc. When looking atg prophetic texts we accept the literal meaning unless the author indicates we understand what he says symbolically. Once we understand the meaning, we are free to make applications to our current life. But these applications must be in line with the one meaning the author intended

Okay! :noidea: Thanks for clearing it up!

You are most welcome. I am sorry if I was less than clear

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

One of the best sources available is Donald Fee's How To Read the Bible For All It's Worth. You can find a copy at Amazon.com

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

One of the best sources available is Donald Fee's How To Read the Bible For All It's Worth. You can find a copy at Amazon.com

I just got this book!

:emot-crying:

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

This was an interesting read, and everythign you've mentioned is very important to realize when reading the bible, one main thing I've learned is to pray about it, pray for understanding, and wisdom, and keep yourself from pride in yoru own opinion. You did an awesome job on writing this, I was glad to read it,.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/26/1961

:rofl: Hello! I'm new on here. But as for interpretation - well, Jesus only ever used scripture in context - it was only the devil who used it out context (I ws thinking of the temptations).

I always wish there was more 'good eduction' of scripture (for want of a better phrase) which can help people understand better, and also to be encouraged in their faith - after all we serve a faithful God whose word is true!

:rofl:

Summer Sun, there is a great little book by RC Sproul entitled Knowing Scripture that really lays out the good basics of interpretation. I am sure its still available through most Christian stores.

sw

I agree

• 2 weeks later...
Guest realizea

2corinthians 4:6

For God is he who said: "let the light shine out of the darkness," and he has shone on our hearts to illuminate (them) with the glorious knowledge of God by the face of Jesus Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,213
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

Given the recent discussions regarding the future of Israel and the meaning of OT prophecies, I thought it would be helpful to list some basics of determining meaning. I obtained these from:

"The Navigator Bible Studies Handbook"

General Principles

1. As you study, work knowing that the Bible is authoritative

2. Let the Bible interpret itself (Scripture explains Scripture).

3. The Holy Spirit

Guest bringthebritish
Given the recent discussions regarding the future of Israel and the meaning of OT prophecies, I thought it would be helpful to list some basics of determining meaning. I obtained these from:

"The Navigator Bible Studies Handbook"

General Principles

1. As you study, work knowing that the Bible is authoritative

2. Let the Bible interpret itself (Scripture explains Scripture).

3. The Holy Spirit

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  321
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  12/03/1957

I agree with the priciples listed by EricH, but I feel that there is something that is quite important when trying to understand scripture that is routinely overlooked.

That is: our personal bias or preconceived ideas when approaching the Word of God. In my opinion, this is the greatest sticking point between Eisogesis (reading meaning into the text) and Exegesis (deriving meaning from the text).

I agree with a previous poster that we must pray and ask for wisdom and understanding, but IMO we must be willing to accept the answer, even when the answer challenges us!

In my own walk with our Lord, I have had to change some preconceived ideas that I held as true as I have studied the Word of God...and sometimes that was not easy :emot-heartbeat:

I personally want my "theology" to fit the Word of God, instead of trying to "fit" the Word of God into my theology!

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/22/1962

I've enjoyed reading the posts on this topic. One of my favorite principles of bible study is that you should not make narrative normative. In other words, just because they did things a certain way in the bible doesn't mean that's the way we have to do it.