• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  923
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/03/1974

Okay,

I'm a bit flummexed (not sure if that's even a word), I'm currently on Genesis chapter 1 verse 2 in my Bible study, which reads:-

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the water.

I have been studying this verse for weeks, and have been wondering was there a specific reason for the earth being covered with water at this point? I'm not referring to the later purpose for it, such as the firmament being placed between and then the land rising up out of the waters. But rather, I am curious as to the reason for the earth being covered with water at this point.

Help with this would be very much appreciated.

• Group:  Diamond Member

Any other thoughts?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,028
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  236
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

well since we are made up of 70% water perhaps that was why God chose to start with the basics, remember to ask when you see Him I always wondered why an apple tree is depicted as the tree of life since apples are common to almost every country :P I would have gone for something less common

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I you are looking for meaning, you may want to read this study on Genesis 1.

A point I brought up later in the study, if you keep reading it, was this:

that "the deep" and "the waters" here are symbolic of the nations and the peoples - or something like that.

Thus you have:

"Darkness was over the nations, and the Spirit of God hovered over the people."

(I might have nations and peoples mixed up or whatever, but that's the gist.)

Thank you Nebula,

I wasn't aware that that study was there, whilst it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it does confirm other things which I was thinking.

God Bless

No, Hr.Jr

I do not conform to the recreation/reformation belief of Genesis, but please post your verses, I am interested in what people have to say on this whether I agree with their interpretation on not.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  583
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/14/1962

Hello Anne,

2Peter 3:5-7

5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished.

7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

Why 2 Peter 3:5-7 is NOT a reference to Noah's flood is revealed by a careful analysis of the precise English language wording of the passage.

First, as also stated on the opening page, there are only two (2) places in the entire Bible where the Earth is flooded by water. One is Noah's flood. The other is the Earth as found at Genesis 1:2 at the beginning of the "Creation" narrative. If it is not a reference to Noah's flood, then it MUST be a reference to Genesis 1:2 (only other alternative). We will now show you why 2 Peter 3:5-7 is not a reference to Noah's flood.

Point #1: Compare the phrase "the heavens and earth, which are now" to the phrase the "heavens were of old":

When Noah's flood happened did it change anything in the upper heavens (above Earth's atmosphere)? Were there changes made to the sun, moon, or stars? The answer is NO. The heavens that were already ordained and up in the sky during Adam's day are the very same heavens that were there for Noah and his sons after the flood. And those same heavens are still there today. FACT: The flood had no effect on the heavens. All flood effects were confined to the Earth's surface and atmosphere.

Again, note the contrasting comparison between the phrases the "heavens were of old" (before the waters) and the "heavens and earth which are now" (after the waters). If Noah's flood did not alter the heavens, why does the passage clearly speak of former heavens "of old" and different heavens afterwards. This can not be an accurate reference to Noah's flood, but it could be a reference to a reconstruction of all things; a reconstruction that happened during the seven days.

Point #2: Notice also in the passage that the earth is said to be "standing out" of the water and "in" the water. These terms denote that the planet earth was submerged and surrounded by waters ("overflowed") and at least a part of the Earth is spoken of as "standing OUT" of the water "and IN" the water. That is, part of the Earth is protruding from the water and not simply just covered by waters on the surface.

Try to draw this mental picture: Think of a dark and ruined solar system with water strewn throughout it like one big messy galactic spill at Genesis 1:2 and imagine the planet Earth drifting awash in this roaring and rolling formless mess. Where would those waters have come from? Well, it is an established scientific observation that dying stars create and give off lots of water (You will find the references to that fact elsewhere in this study). Certainly there must have been lots and lots of stars in the heavens that were "of old" and, if the cosmos had gone dark and the stars died, then there would be water everywhere throughout space. Consequently, in a regeneration scenario, all those stars would need to be re-made (which is exactly what was done on the 4th day).

Before that, however, all that water scattered across space (Genesis 1:2) needed to be cleaned up before God regenerated all things. That is why the waters needed to be divided (Genesis 1:6-7) as the second order of business:

"And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so."

(Genesis 1:7 KJV)

That is, the universe had to be cleaned up and reconfigured (establishment of the firmament and three (3) distinct heavens on the second day) before He "made" ('asah) the sun, moon, and stars of the present heavens and earth (on the forth day).

The bottom line of interpretation is that the seven days of Genesis were, indeed, seven literal 24 hour days, but they are not a description of the original creation of all things (Genesis 1:1) but a Divine special regeneration of the cosmos from what was here before the present world of Man.

Source:

Link:Rightly Dividing Geology

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

well since we are made up of 70% water perhaps that was why God chose to start with the basics, remember to ask when you see Him I always wondered why an apple tree is depicted as the tree of life since apples are common to almost every country :emot-lwt: I would have gone for something less common

The only Scripture that the tree of life is mentioned that I know of has 12 fruits n the tree and no apple is mentioned..

Where do you get that the tree of life is apples?

curious.. :emot-LOL:

Thank you very much Christian,

I have to respectfully disagree with your interpretation of the Genesis account and that of the meaning of 2 Peter 3, however you have given me a point of reference which I have a feeling is what I have been looking for. If anyone thinks of any other Bible references please let me know.

I know there will be a temptation to turn this into "The earth is young because" and an "The earth is old because" discussion, but please i'm asking all to try and not do that, I am sincerely seeking to try and understand the Word of God, not to prove a point.

God Bless

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  583
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/14/1962

No problems here Anne, :thumbsup:

God Bless

-C-