cupajoy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

Seems that someone mentioned the Chronological Bible in this thread somewhere..

Didn't want to hunt it down... :)

I bought it several years ago and tried reading it but just got aggravated at it..

??? I don't know..Just not what I was used to...

Anyhow I pulled it out and am going to give it another shot...

It is in the KJV so the translation was not the reason ..

Does anyone here like to read it?

It just seems like something that would be a blessing to read..

everything in "order"...

Didn't want to totally change the subject so again...I like the KJV and the ESV... :emot-heartbeat:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

What bible do you read and why do you read this particular bible?

I used to read the King James, but now I read the Vulgate. That way, I don't have to understand any of the Bible.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  265
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/30/1987

It sounded like the original poster wanted to find out why people read the versions they do... not necessarily start a whole debate in which everyone tells everyone else why we should all CHANGE what we read...

I read from several versions, and I have used the KJV, NIV, NKJV, ESV, and occasionally, for a reference, the Message bible, as well. My primary bibles are the NIV and ESV. ESV is very similar to NKJV, and strikes me as sounding like a blend between NIV and NKJV.

There are some ludicrous claims about why certain bible versions are better than others, and I would advise anyone here who is curious about them, to do your research, rather than believe any certain reasons given on this message board- if truth is shared here, it will be found elsewhere as well.

I don't want to get into a lot of mess about "KJV is better/worse/good/bad"... because that road has already been taken, and it won't probably change anyone's minds to say anything about it now.

However, I will say, that I like the NIV personally, because it was translated from the oldest manuscripts- the Alexandrian manuscripts-, and when I did my research on bible versions, it seemed that the NIV translators had worked very hard to make the NIV as accurate as possible. I just purchased an ESV bible, but I haven't used it a tremendous much yet, so I won't comment much on it.

I grew up going to a bible-camp where they used only KJV... and at home my family memorized things from the NKJV and occasionally NIV... this made it quite annoying to be at camp and have to re-memorize a verse in KJV, because I already knew it in NIV, but that wasn't good enough for the camp people, because NIV was substandard somehow.

About the "omitted verses"... My NIV does include those Mark verses... it just places a note next to them, stating that there are such and such manuscripts that do not include them, and that these other ones do, and that they are debated... I believe that there are no verses in any of the version disputes however, that if deleted would eradicate any doctrine in the Bible- just a repetition of it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  07/18/1956

I read The Expositor's Study Bible......KJV

easiest bible I have ever had.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

Didn't want to hunt it down... :24:

I bought it several years ago and tried reading it but just got aggravated at it..

everything in "order"...

Didn't want to totally change the subject so again...I like the KJV and the ESV... :wub:

that was me, both my wife and i use it for our daily reading together...... we do not use it for study, but for daily reading.... there are times it does get redundant, like when the laws were being written, you may read the same thing three or four times, one right after another.... but for the most part, it is neat to read the events in order.....

for study, we use kjv, niv, amp, nasb, strongs, vines, and any other things we might get hold of... the amplified, tends to try and expound on it to bring out the original meaning of the text.....

as far as the oldest english version, well, which one is more accurate? the KJV that we call the KJV1611? which is not 1611, for the 1611 had 80 books in it.... or a more updated version that people think is the 1611..... or is it the Genevva? or the Tyndale? or the Wycliff? or another???? these debates go on for a long ttime and do not accomplish much....

i do not read nor speak hebrew or greek, and i do not have access to the original doc's, so that would do me no good at this point.... cross refing them might be good, but with out a linguist to ensure the translation says what it is suppose to say, would be a bit much for me.

hebrew is much like me trying to read german and trying to translate it to perfect english, i am no good at it, but for the essance of it, i can do.....

anyways,

time for bed.

mike

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

i do not read nor speak hebrew or greek, and i do not have access to the original doc's

Nobody has original docs, but there is now little serious debate about the source texts used, as scientific study has cut out bias and ignorance to a very great extent. Imv, it is only in the last few decades that the Scripture has been identified and mostly understood, for the first time since the days of the early church. The Bible was written for now. And in its original languages, nothing less. So, readers, wake up and smell the truth, whether you like it or not.

If you have an interlinear version, one eye open and the ability to count, you can instantly see when a translation is likely to have omitted or added a word, and that is a material start to finding out what is actually God's Word. Anyone who cannot do at least that has absolutely nothing whatever to say that is truthful or that is not contemptible, as you are merely passing on second-hand opinions that may be no more than your own very unspiritual preference. Most of the posts here that claim to know what is 'best' can be disregarded for that reason. You have no excuse, any of you, especially as you have computers to make legitimate study very easy.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

What bible do you read and why do you read this particular bible?

I used to read the King James, but now I read the Vulgate. That way, I don't have to understand any of the Bible.

Mornin' , not sure about what you are saying here can you give some insight? is the Vulgate a Bible? and not having to understand any of the Bible? Thanks

Guest shiloh357

Didn't want to hunt it down... :)

everything in "order"...

Didn't want to totally change the subject so again...I like the KJV and the ESV... :wub:

Doesn't the Chronological Bible place the Fall of Satan between Gen1:1 and Gen. 1:2? I seem to remember seeing one of those Apparently they believe in the "Gap Theory," which many fine Bible teachers also believe.

There was another Study Bible Produced back in the 80s called the Narrated Bible<<<Link It is a Chronological Bible written in the NIV, and it is very easy to follow. It organizes the 613 commandments of the Torah into a single legal code, and it places the Psalms into the life of David ( Samuel and Kings) when he would have written them. It harmonizes the Gospels and places Paul epistles into the book of Acts according to their corresponding missionary journey in which Paul wrote them. It also places the other New Testament books into the order they were written instead of the traditional Roman order we have them in our regular Bibles.

The guy who arranged this Bible is F. Lagard Smith, who also wrote "Out on a Broken Limb" to refute the claims made in "Out on a Limb" by Shirley MacLaine. He was a former Prosecuting Attorney as well.

Guest The Chief

I use The Interlinear Bible, New American Standard Bible, New King Kames Versions as well as the King James Version. NASB was requested by my college as a class Bible; the other versions are used as adjuncts for clarity.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,580
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Birthday:  04/13/1960

I read The Good News bible and NIV.

The Good News was the first Bible I had, my brother got me it when I was 5 or 6. It always reminds me of Advent. The advent calender we had at the time had a reference to a verse or a few verses behind each door and I used to love getting my Bible out every night during advent to read them (my brother, sister and I took it in turns).

We use the NIV in church so I do use that too.

I read the Good News bible but mostly NIV. They translated it to NIV for some of us who have a difficult time comprehending the KJV. One day I can graduate. :huh:

:ph34r: