• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

Luke, if you were a Christian at the time, it couldn't have gotten inside you. When Holy Spirit's in you, there's no room for anything bad. Anyhoo, I'm glad you're free now, brother. :emot-wave:

Yeah, see that's what I always thought previous to that experience. But thing is, I have been baptised in the Spirit a few years ago now, but either way I know it was trying and pushing to get it - I could feel it! I could feel the battle going on inside that kept it out. I've had demons in me before (check my testimony; sig below) I know how it feels and it was the same.

The Holy Spirit wouldn't allow it to stay, the demon couldn't win over God's power, but that doesn't mean it didn't try to get it!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Luke

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Luke, if you were a Christian at the time, it couldn't have gotten inside you. When Holy Spirit's in you, there's no room for anything bad. Anyhoo, I'm glad you're free now, brother. :emot-wave:

Yeah, see that's what I always thought previous to that experience. But thing is, I have been baptised in the Spirit a few years ago now, but either way I know it was trying and pushing to get it - I could feel it! I could feel the battle going on inside that kept it out. I've had demons in me before (check my testimony; sig below) I know how it feels and it was the same.

The Holy Spirit wouldn't allow it to stay, the demon couldn't win over God's power, but that doesn't mean it didn't try to get it!

:thumbsup:

Very true, Luke! The Holy spirit, when He floods in, disturbs the evil spirit there. The demon puts up a futile fight, and in the meantime the person goes through quite a crisis, but the Lord wins! Amen! Been there, done that!

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

it is something that came to mind about someone else from church while I was praying and i'm not sure about it.

Well, like I said earlier, if Leonard says possessed/oppressed is the same thing, I believe him. :emot-hug: We have no Biblical instance of a Christian being possessed/oppressed/demoned. That's why I believe it can't happen. There's no room if we're indwelt by HS. If this person's a Christian, they aren't possessed/oppressed/demoned. Not everyone who goes to church is a Christian, though.

Acts chapter 4:32-acts 5:6

32 Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common. 33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. 34 Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, 35 and laid them at the apostles' feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need.

36 And Joses, who was also named Barnabas by the apostles (which is translated Son of Encouragement), a Levite of the country of Cyprus, 37 having land, sold it, and brought the money and laid it at the apostles' feet.

5 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. 2 And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles' feet. 3 But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

5 Then Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and breathed his last. So great fear came upon all those who heard these things. 6 And the young men arose and wrapped him up, carried him out, and buried him.

7 Now it was about three hours later when his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter answered her, "Tell me whether you sold the land for so much?"

She said, "Yes, for so much."

9 Then Peter said to her, "How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out." 10 Then immediately she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. And the young men came in and found her dead, and carrying her out, buried her by her husband. 11 So great fear came upon all the church and upon all who heard these things.

Hello

Now I agree that a Christian can't be demon possessed. How do you explain the above account given in the book of Acts? According to the Scriptures they were all believers.

it is something that came to mind about someone else from church while I was praying and i'm not sure about it.

Well, like I said earlier, if Leonard says possessed/oppressed is the same thing, I believe him. :emot-hug: We have no Biblical instance of a Christian being possessed/oppressed/demoned. That's why I believe it can't happen. There's no room if we're indwelt by HS. If this person's a Christian, they aren't possessed/oppressed/demoned. Not everyone who goes to church is a Christian, though.

32 Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common. 33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. 34 Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, 35 and laid them at the apostles' feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need.

36 And Joses, who was also named Barnabas by the apostles (which is translated Son of Encouragement), a Levite of the country of Cyprus, 37 having land, sold it, and brought the money and laid it at the apostles' feet.

5 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. 2 And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles' feet. 3 But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

5 Then Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and breathed his last. So great fear came upon all those who heard these things. 6 And the young men arose and wrapped him up, carried him out, and buried him.

7 Now it was about three hours later when his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter answered her, "Tell me whether you sold the land for so much?"

9 Then Peter said to her, "How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out." 10 Then immediately she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. And the young men came in and found her dead, and carrying her out, buried her by her husband. 11 So great fear came upon all the church and upon all who heard these things.

Hello

Now I agree that a Christian can't be demon possessed. How do you explain the above account given in the book of Acts? According to the Scriptures they were all believers.

The devil can put up a damn good fight and if we aren't prepared or able to fight or even recognise what is happening, then it can sometimes be all too easy to let something evil influence us/

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

I haven't done any in-depth study on this topic, but I'll take a stab at it from what I have seen in Scripture.

I'd say what was happening with Ananias and Sapphira is what can happen to any believer. The enemy can suggest something to us. The advantage, or protection, believers have is the Holy Spirit within us to alert us to where these ideas are coming from, and the power to reject them. I believe it's entirely up to us whether we willingly go along with the plans the enemies put in our minds, or turn from that and follow Jesus.

I'm not talking salvation here. I'm talking sin. I believe the enemy offers sin to us via our thoughts constantly. It certainly isn't possession, but is it oppression, or demonization? Or does the temptation to sin always suggested by the enemy? Maybe it just comes from us sometimes? Now this thread's got me wondering.......

:rolleyes:

Or does the temptation to sin always suggested by the enemy? Maybe it just comes from us sometimes? Now this thread's got me wondering.......

Not every temptation comes from us, and not every temptation comes from the enemy.

But sometimes is is abused and used a lame cop-out to people admitting their own weaknesses and problems by crying "oh no! i have the 'spirit of [enter sin/temptation here] on me!"

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Cupajoy, what I'd like to know is whether the thought about this person came to mind while you were praying or was it just that everyone in some way or other was talking about the person in his or her absence in regards to the indwelling of evil spirits?

I just have some trouble with the entire concept because of how other Christians could potentially be a hindrance in one's delivery or just not helpful. What if the others like to use the oppression or possession bit against the victim rather than to help that person? I just see it as potentially dangerous because it could only exacerbate that person's situation if he or she were pushed away and not helped, since the person would feel shunned and that might just add to the attack against him or her, you know? kind of support it since that person's not getting any help from any Christians. Anyway, didn't Jesus say that though a demon may be kicked out it can be expected that it will come back more even more of its fellows to help it reclaim its place in that person's body or life? It would seem that the enemy is relentless and just because one has the indwelling of the Holy Spirit to protect him/her it doesn't seem very likely that that person's future is forever safe from demonic harrassment or pursuit, you know? And in consideration of the battle against one's thoughts, that makes it seem like even a Christian could be in a constant fight to keep control of his/her life in order to not allow that kind of influence back in. Being baptized in the Holy Spirit doesn't forever change us so that we're sinless and perfect, right? So, it doesn't seem like there's really all that much hope that opposition will completely go away just because one is a Christian.

Can a person's decisions and gradual turning away from God actually encourage the Holy Spirit to leave the believer's heart? It would seem then that if one weren't cautious enough, then the protection bit could be gone. Of course, more than likely that's too exaggerated of a thought/fear to be really possible.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Well, like I said earlier, if Leonard says possessed/oppressed is the same thing, I believe him. :emot-wanttohug: We have no Biblical instance of a Christian being possessed/oppressed/demoned. That's why I believe it can't happen. There's no room if we're indwelt by HS. If this person's a Christian, they aren't possessed/oppressed/demoned. Not everyone who goes to church is a Christian, though.

Right! :wub: My daughter has been a Christian since she was 7 years old, but she had to undergo deliverance for numerous demonic interferences. she is serving the Lord with all she's got now! Praise Jesus! We don't use that terminology, "oppressed" or "possessed" much anymore. A believer can be plagued just as well as a non-believer, because it all depends on the ground we give up. My daughter had been hurt badly by friends as a teen, and this set up a stronghold in her spirit that the devil used. Christians are just as susceptible to having strongholds as non-believers are!

Blessings! :thumbsup:

That is why we must have a careful walk with Jesus, weighing all things in the Holy Spirit and running all things through the Cross.

Right. We can't be owned by the demons, but we can be attacked quite vigourously.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Well, like I said earlier, if Leonard says possessed/oppressed is the same thing, I believe him. :thumbsup: We have no Biblical instance of a Christian being possessed/oppressed/demoned. That's why I believe it can't happen. There's no room if we're indwelt by HS. If this person's a Christian, they aren't possessed/oppressed/demoned. Not everyone who goes to church is a Christian, though.

Hello

It doesn't say that the demon possessed them, only that he 'filled their hearts to lie'...which is a phrase being turned meaning that he suggested the lie and they took it in and allowed it to grow in their hearts. I also am of the belief that sometimes God takes people out rather than allows them to sin past a certain point. And perhaps they were at that point.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

how do you go about finding out if someone is possessed or oppressed ? for the past few months I have been really growing in my walk with God and he has been showing me some things, mostly words come up. but he has shown me something and I'm not sure how to go about finding out. Then my mind is trying to find the logic, I know I don't need the logic I just need to be right with GOD and do his will.

Possessed is when the mind, will, and emotions are no longer under the control of the individual by controlled by the demons. This is usually when the demons do something through the individual that he/she has no control over any more. Example: The school shootings where the perp. commits suicide. It is the final degree of oppression.

Oppression can be minuscule to major but the mind, will, and emotions are still under the control of the individual to some degree.

This is my opinion from dealing with the demonically oppressed for the past 12 yrs. Based on the biblical principles in the scriptures and experience.

LT