• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  145
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/23/1973

I read a great book called the Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson. In it he writes about how gang members prayed to receive the Baptism of/from the HOLY SPIRIT. And that they were writhing on the floor and it felt like a very pleasant electrical shock running through their systems when they received this baptism. I have been praying :emot-hug: for this Baptism every day for about the last 2 months. And nothing has happened. Am I doing something wrong? Or what? Do I have to go to a Pentacostal Church for the laying on of hands? I am planning to go to a Pentacostal Sevice on Sunday with a friend.

Any guidance would be great. I know that being a Christian is more than a feeling. Ever since I got saved I have been praying for that FEELING. Whatever it may be. Just to know and remove all doubt. I do not doubt my salvation on an intelectual level. But I expected their to be, either at the moment of Salvation or Water Baptism, a feeling. A crying jag, fist pumping joy, or something like that. My Pastor's son asked me how I felt...wet! I felt wet. Nothing else. No special peace beyond understanding. Just wet. I know that this is a journey and a process. And we are not supposed to rely on feelings. But yeesh. For the most significant decision of ones life. An emotional reaction to confirm things would be nice. I got a ton of pain from the past that I have prayed for JEsus to remove. And it is still here. Albeit to a lesser extent.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

Awww, Mik, :emot-hug: you aren't doing anything wrong! :emot-hug:

Not everyone who gets baptized in Holy Spirit has the same experience as these young men in the book had. I got baptized in Holy Spirit and felt nothing. My pastor told me that didn't matter, that the Bible says if we ask our Father for bread, He won't give us a stone, and how much more freely will He give this baptism to those who ask. Pastor told me just believe the Bible. I'd recieved what I asked for, even though I didn't FEEL anything. I made a conscious choice to believe that. I didn't feel like I believed it, because I had no evidence, but rather it was a choice. The feelings and speaking in tongues and such came later, but I did recieve when I asked.

You don't have to go to a particular church or have people lay hands on you. I did, but my pastor's wife recieved this baptism at home, alone.

It takes a while of walking out one's faith before our emotions react sometimes. I'd encourage you to read the Bible everyday, spend time with God everyday, and get involved in a church God leads you to. I'll be praying for you. :emot-hug:

Awww, Mik, :emot-hug: you aren't doing anything wrong! :emot-hug:

Not everyone who gets baptized in Holy Spirit has the same experience as these young men in the book had. I got baptized in Holy Spirit and felt nothing. My pastor told me that didn't matter, that the Bible says if we ask our Father for bread, He won't give us a stone, and how much more freely will He give this baptism to those who ask. Pastor told me just believe the Bible. I'd recieved what I asked for, even though I didn't FEEL anything. I made a conscious choice to believe that. I didn't feel like I believed it, because I had no evidence, but rather it was a choice. The feelings and speaking in tongues and such came later, but I did recieve when I asked.

You don't have to go to a particular church or have people lay hands on you. I did, but my pastor's wife recieved this baptism at home, alone.

It takes a while of walking out one's faith before our emotions react sometimes. I'd encourage you to read the Bible everyday, spend time with God everyday, and get involved in a church God leads you to. I'll be praying for you. :emot-hug:

Thanks billielovesdarrin that means alot. And you are so right! :emot-hug: :emot-hug:

I was also asking for tounges. I figure if my Jewish Aunt could talk about, and cook, tounge. Why than can I not speak in Tounges I ask? :emot-hug: (That line is a hit at the Messianic group I go to).

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,447
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

I read a great book called the Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson. In it he writes about how gang members prayed to receive the Baptism of/from the HOLY SPIRIT. And that they were writhing on the floor and it felt like a very pleasant electrical shock running through their systems when they received this baptism. I have been praying :emot-hug: for this Baptism every day for about the last 2 months. And nothing has happened. Am I doing something wrong? Or what? Do I have to go to a Pentacostal Church for the laying on of hands? I am planning to go to a Pentacostal Sevice on Sunday with a friend.

Any guidance would be great. I know that being a Christian is more than a feeling. Ever since I got saved I have been praying for that FEELING. Whatever it may be. Just to know and remove all doubt. I do not doubt my salvation on an intelectual level. But I expected their to be, either at the moment of Salvation or Water Baptism, a feeling. A crying jag, fist pumping joy, or something like that. My Pastor's son asked me how I felt...wet! I felt wet. Nothing else. No special peace beyond understanding. Just wet. I know that this is a journey and a process. And we are not supposed to rely on feelings. But yeesh. For the most significant decision of ones life. An emotional reaction to confirm things would be nice. I got a ton of pain from the past that I have prayed for JEsus to remove. And it is still here. Albeit to a lesser extent.

Dear soul, if you trust in Christ for your salvation you already HAVE received the baptism of the Spirit. If you trust in Christ it can get no better for you. By faith you are counted by God as perfect and righteous and justified in His eyes. There is no other salvation nor any other requirement that can make it any better than that. Do not trust in some experience or some human feeling that you think might make your salvation more secure. You are saved through faith not feelings. Confirmation of the promises of God is not some inner feeling. Don't let men rob of you of the joy and certainty of your salvation by demanding that you feel a certain way!

sw

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

Milkado,

It is a gift to receive. So receive it, don't doubt for a moment-you'll get it. I prayed maybe 3 seperate times over a good period of time. And I remember being in a service and 2 men in front of me were singing in their prayer language and it was glorious. All I remember saying was-Lord, I want that. In the night service during worship, I heard within me, my spirit woman speaking 100 miles per hour in another language. I remember, pulling a phrase out, like a baby and I started repeating what I heard. Then all of a sudden the connection was made. What I prayed for 1 year to resolve in my marriage was answered that month. I started seeing major things happening. I think when I was praying in the natural-the devil was using my words to mess with me during the day. Prior I was being tormented by the devil. I remember after intercession one night, I had a dream that 2 demons were coming toward the house and I rolled out the window and began to pray in the spirit. The demons were holding their ears screaming-what is she saying-it hurts so bad. I woke up and prayed. My mom was being attacked, they were meant to give her a full blown stroke. She only had a mild one with no problems. I didn't understand intercession and to pray until I was released from prayer.

Don't worry, don't doubt, it will come-just believe and receive.

I'm excited to hear what happens.

candi

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  08/08/1964

I too did not "feel" anything either. Maybe God wants to teach some of us not to rely on feelings but just to trust Him. :blink:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/05/1975

Howdy Mikado5001

Last year I watched the film version of the book you read.

I remember when I first gave my life to Christ... nothing happened. I was so shocked that I did it again (said the prayer again). I don't know what I was expecting but 'nothing' wasn't on the agenda... so from that day I had trouble with my faith... but as already mentioned we must learn to have faith despite our emotions screaming at us... we walk by faith and not by sight!

God bless

Howdy Mikado5001

Last year I watched the film version of the book you read.

I remember when I first gave my life to Christ... nothing happened. I was so shocked that I did it again (said the prayer again). I don't know what I was expecting but 'nothing' wasn't on the agenda... so from that day I had trouble with my faith... but as already mentioned we must learn to have faith despite our emotions screaming at us... we walk by faith and not by sight!

God bless

AMEN! And read the book. The movie of Cross and the Switchblade ends at about page 50.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

you might even read the book

Beyond the Cross and the Switchblade.....

baptism of the Holy Spirit, well, as was said, not everyone receives it the same way.... and some may never experience the Gifts of the Spirit, for the Holy Spirit, gives these gifts as He sees fit.... (1st corinth, 12-14).....

the utterance of tongues, is something of a different nature, it is a sign of the baptism of the Holy Spirit...

I too, sought the baptism for a long long long loooooooong time..... dont know how loooooong, not just weeks or months though......

i was focusing on me, for me to receive it, for me to be used, for me ....me....me.... me.....

the Lord got my focus off of me, and it was during this time that the Spirit of the Lord came upon me, enveloped me, covered me, filled me.... there are not enough english words (at least i am not aware of them) that fully explain what He did to me..... it was like i was no longer around anyone else, it was total peace.... my body was in pain before and during this time, total euforia.... my body had no more pain, i could hear things on going around me, but it was like they ere miles away, like across a vast lake, and not even remotely distracting, and it was just me and the Lord talking, not words really but different, like i i knew he was there and that all my troubles were in his hands. when i was brought back to the present time, it was as if i had been gone for hours.....

I had stopped focusing on me, and had started ministering to others, forgeting what I needed and started tending the needs of the others around me.....

yea, i would have to say that there might have been what some might call an electrical surge, but not like electricity that we know....(belive me, i know, have been hung up several times and bitten numorous times)

anyways, keep seeking the Lord.....

prayer and fasting does not hurt.....

mike

Guest Proverbs18

I went to a couple workshops on how to help people receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. My suggestion is to prasie. The Bible declares that our God is One Who will inhabit the praise of His people. When leading a group of young ones on how to yield to the Holy Ghost, a minister's wife commanded, "The only words you can say in English are 'Jesus' and 'Halleluia'." "Jesus" because there is no word more powerful (Acts 4:12, Philippians 2:9-11), and "Halleluia" because it is the highest form of praise. Receiving the Holy Ghost can be very hard. This is because receiveing the gift of the Holy Ghost can only happen when we become completely submissive to Him. We must yield everything: our pride, our pain, our way, and our trust. Coming to God, we must believe that He is all He says He is, and that His Word is absolutely true. Reading the book of Acts, and observing the way people acted and the conditions of their hearts will really help. God promises the outpouring of the Holy Ghost on all (John 14:16-18, John 25-26, John 16:13, Titus 2:11). No worries, Mate. "Repent, and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jeus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." (Acts 2:38). :):thumbsup:

loev and prayers,

Proverbs18