• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

It's not a conspiracy theory nor a minority opinion when THERE IS A LARGE INTERNATIONAL CONSENSUS ON THE ISSUE.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but not a scientific one. ever heard the old cliche that if you people here something often enough, it becomes true? at least in perception. "common wisdom" isn't always very wise. we're experiencing nothing "new" here. as pointed out, historical and scientfic evidence makes it very clear that what is occurring is part of a cycle.

correction: there IS a consensus among the meteorologists and climatologists and geologists of the world. the data is there to a point where it's really hard to deny.

look, my uncle is a republican ex-navy meteorologist who is by no stretch of the imagination an environmentalist. even he told me he'd revised his opinion on climate change based on examination of sea temperature data. like i said, IPCC. check it out.

(also, i've spent the better part of a year looking at this issue from multiple perspectives, so i like to think i'm relatively well versed in the core facts and various arguments. it's really hard to make a case that natural fluctuation can be held accountable for recent, more drastic climate change.)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,268
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

correction: there IS a consensus among the meteorologists and climatologists and geologists of the world. the data is there to a point where it's really hard to deny.

look, my uncle is a republican ex-navy meteorologist who is by no stretch of the imagination an environmentalist. even he told me he'd revised his opinion on climate change based on examination of sea temperature data. like i said, IPCC. check it out.

(also, i've spent the better part of a year looking at this issue from multiple perspectives, so i like to think i'm relatively well versed in the core facts and various arguments. it's really hard to make a case that natural fluctuation can be held accountable for recent, more drastic climate change.)

Why is mars heating up along with us????

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

http://www.oism.org/pproject/pproject.htm

But, you guys still win. OK, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary, the sky really is falling. I believe it now.

georges, since you've done some study into the subject, are you familiar with the holocene maximum? can you explain that phenomenon?

yup! the holocene maximum, as you probably know, was the "hottest part" of human history (somewhere between 9000-5000 years ago i think?). however, that warm period could have been predicted through modeling (were such technology around back then, haha) - it was mostly a result of orbital forcing (changes in the earth's rotational axis) and the shifts of climate happening post-ice age. in other words, it can be easily explained through examination of natural forces. not so today: we've deviated from the model and into a warming trend that really can't be explained any other way than through consideration of anthropogenic emissions. that's the issue.

ps: funny that i'm having this conversation now as i write my environmental studies paper on environmental governance in modern china!

It's not a conspiracy theory nor a minority opinion when THERE IS A LARGE INTERNATIONAL CONSENSUS ON THE ISSUE.

There is also a LARGE INTERNATIONAL CONSENSUS on Jesus.

shall we all follow them over the cliff?

:laugh:

that's my point. we KNOW that orbital forcing is cyclical. we KNOW that climate is cyclical. you can MODEL its cyclic nature based on examining all these natural factors.

but we're deviating from the natural, cyclic model of how climate change should look these days. why? anthropogenic outputs. when you create a new model including influence from releases from anthropogenic sources, it fits what's happening now.

nobody really means that the sky is falling, or that the world is going to end. the issue is that we could do a lot of damage to ourselves and the planet as a whole if we don't start being conscientious about what we are releasing into it.

the basis for the model might be a complicated synthesis, but explaining what it means is pretty straightforward. mindfulness. consideration. it's as simple as that.