• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Exactly my point too Irish.

There has never been a biblical change in the original Sabbath and to say we do not need to keep the Commandments is the cause of our LAWLESS society today. No wonder our prisons are overflowing with criminals who think they can ignore the law. And sunday is not the resurrection-day as some assume. If we read scripture correctly it shows quite a different picture than traditional christianity portrays. Yes, Jesus will have his work cut out when he returns.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Soapbox - Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/11/1932

You will also NEVER find that the sabbath is commanded anywhere outside the Sinai Covenant. It is stretching things to link the sabbath command of the 10 commandments to the creation story. Adam and Eve sinned by disobeying God's command about the tree of Knowledge. Nowhere is it mentioned that the sabbath or any of the 10 commandments had ever been commanded of any patriach. It only becomes a command under the Sinai covenant which ENDED AT THE CROSS. Jesus is now our sabbath and Paul very clearly shows that any day (or ALL days) is fine. The change to sunday is shown in Acts too, as a series of references, showing the slow transistion as the church moved from being mostly Jewish to mostly Gentile.

I don't have time to look up all the references, but Hebrews 8:13 clearly states the Old covenant is obsolete and replaced by the New Covenant in Christ's Blood. We are no longer under the Sinai covenant, including the 10 Commandments. We are under Grace, not Law.

And I do realize this will probably set off a chain of counter postings trying to prove "Grace, but...", but it is by Grace ALONE that we are saved, justified and sanctified. It is Grace alone, not Grace AND something else.

Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified (6942) it:

Sanctify

qāḏaš: A verb meaning to be set apart, to be holy, to show oneself holy, to be treated as holy, to consecrate, to treat as holy, to dedicate, to be made holy, to declare holy or consecrated, to behave, to act holy, to dedicate oneself. The verb, in the simple stem, declares the act of setting apart, being holy (i.e., withdrawing someone or something from profane or ordinary use).

Is it reaaly "stretching things to link the sabbath command of the 10 commandments to the creation story" as you say?

How do you define the word "sanctify?"

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

...... Paul very clearly shows that any day (or ALL days) is fine. The change to sunday is shown in Acts too, as a series of references, showing the slow transistion as the church moved from being mostly Jewish to mostly Gentile.

.....but it is by Grace ALONE that we are saved, justified and sanctified. It is Grace alone, not Grace AND something else.

When you get the time can you show me were Paul says this clearly?

I agree that we are saved by Grace alone however this is not a question of salvation.

Grace does not excuse us from ignoring or changing what God has said, it only protects us from the consequences of such action. It should be a natural response to grace to honor the day God set aside for Himself.

Irish

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Not only did Jesus and his Disciples keep the Sabbath (Saturday) but there are numerous scriptures in the NT to remind us of the Commandments. Man is without excuse. It was all changed in AD325 when the then rising churches declared association with Jews anathema , after they had persecuted all followers of the true Church the Apostles had started. They trampled on the Sabbath and introduced Sunday without authority from God.

Traditional Christians are no different to the Pharisees and Sadducees who tampered with the Laws of God and were severely reprimanded by Jesus. This will again happen to Christians when he returns.

The Sabbath was given as Friday evening to Saturday evening, the 7th day of the week.

Yet going to church on Sunday can do your soul no harm.

As to what will happen to those who do/don't "do it" the right way, I can't imagine God giving tzedaka points out on the basis of knowing the "right" day of the week

...or condemning anyone He gave His own blood for simply because they chose the "wrong" day of the week (in ignorance)

So it seems like a moot point...and I'm nobody's judge anyway.

I'll let Him decide what to do about it.

Peace and love....maybe the hippies were right?

:emot-questioned:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  857
  • Birthday:  01/04/1981

Ok...

Technically the Sabbath never changed, or nobody ever "moved" the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. In earlier times Christians worshipped on Sunday because it is the day of the Ressurection, the day after the Sabbath. The reason why Christian's no longer worship on the Sabbath is because there is no commandment to do so. The practice of attending church (or synagogue) every Sabbath did not originate in the Bible, it originated in Babylonian captivity. The Jews in captivity invented the synagogue as a place to preserve their heritage and their religion in a foreign land...and that's when they began attending church weekly.

I guess sometime around the first century or so, Christians (both Jews and Gentiles) continued to attend synagogue on the Sabbath (Saturday) and attended Christian worship services on Sundays. Since the Roman week was ten days long at the time, Sunday didn

Gen 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Right from the beginning - and never changed!

Exactly my point! So when and why and by what authority (the scriptures are the only authority we have) was it changed to the first day of the week? :emot-questioned:

Yours in Christ

Irish

If you dig deeper, you will find more to confirm the RCC changed the sabbath from saturday to sunday, but here is one article I found on it:

http://www.godssabbathtruth.com/sabbath-catholic.html

"For example, nowhere in the Bible do we find that Christ or the Apostles ordered that the Sabbath be changed from Saturday to Sunday. We have the commandment of God given to Moses to keep holy the Sabbath day, that is the 7th day of the week, Saturday. Today most Christians keep Sunday because it has been revealed to us by the [Roman Catholic] church outside the Bible." Catholic Virginian, October 3, 1947, p. 9, article "To Tell You the Truth."

Who Made Sunday Holy?

"Written by the finger of God on two tables of stone, this Divine code (ten commandments) was received from the Almighty by Moses amid the thunders of Mount Sinai...Christ resumed these Commandments in the double precept of charity--love of God and of the neighbour; He proclaimed them as binding under the New Law in Matthew 19 and in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5)...The (Catholic) Church, on the other hand, after changing the day of rest from the Jewish Sabbath, or seventh day of the week, to the first, made the Third Commandment refer to Sunday as the day to be kept holy as the Lord's Day...He (God) claims one day out of the seven as a memorial to Himself, and this must be kept holy..." The Catholic Encyclopaedia, vol. 4, "The Ten Commandments", 1908 edition by Robert Appleton Company; and 1999 Online edition by Kevin Knight, Imprimatur, John M. Farley, Archbishop of New York

My Web Blog

Actually, the "Roman Catholic Church" didn't exist by that name until the schism between the Eastern Orthodox and Western Churches in about 1000 ad. Until then it was simply the "Church in Rome" and wasn't the head of anything. It was but one of many local churches. The Sunday "sabbath" can be traced back to the times of the Apostles (it does show up as a beginning trend in Acts). Read "THE EARLY CHURCH FATHERS: ANTE-NICENE FATHERS. "They are collected (and officially documented & accepted) works from the 1st through 3rd centuries of CHURCH FATHERS AND BISHOPS and many of the early ones knew one or more of the Apostles (in fact, as I remember, one of them is even mentioned in Scripture). Even in the 1st century the church had adopted sunday as it's day of worship and had moved from the Jewish Sabbath. True, those books are not Holy Scripture, but they are a true record of the Church in the early days (and a few of them were even considered for inclusion in the Bible at the early councils) Sunday was established before 100 ad, not by Constantine in 325 or the RCC in some later apostasy. Read some true history and quit listening to legalists with agenda's

I will add more in a 2nd post

...... Paul very clearly shows that any day (or ALL days) is fine. The change to sunday is shown in Acts too, as a series of references, showing the slow transistion as the church moved from being mostly Jewish to mostly Gentile.

.....but it is by Grace ALONE that we are saved, justified and sanctified. It is Grace alone, not Grace AND something else.

When you get the time can you show me were Paul says this clearly?

I agree that we are saved by Grace alone however this is not a question of salvation.

Grace does not excuse us from ignoring or changing what God has said, it only protects us from the consequences of such action. It should be a natural response to grace to honor the day God set aside for Himself.

Irish

Sure, read Romans 14:5,6 for one place. If the next posting I have to place doesn't help answer your questions I will do more research this weekend when I have more time.

I'm afraid this will be a rather long posting, but you all did ask. It doesn't cover all the questions or comments or objections, since I don't have time and Worthy probably wouldn't like the space consumption. Read Romans, Hebrews, Galatians, Ephesians, and about any of Paul's books and you'll find he's always fighting the idea that the Sinai Law/Covenant has any application to Christians

I apologize to Worthy and all for the length of this, but it's the only way to start

I will start by using 4 translations, the NASB, ESV, NRSV and for those KJV crowd people, the KJV, it matters not, since all say the same thing anyway.

Ephesians 2:13 - 16 (NASB) 13But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity.

Ephesians 2:13 - 16 (ESV) 13But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility 15by abolishing the law of commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, 16and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility.

Ephesians 2:13 - 16 (KJV) 13But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. 14For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; 15Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; 16And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

Ephesians 2:13 - 16 (NRSV) 13But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14For he is our peace; in his flesh he has made both groups into one and has broken down the dividing wall, that is, the hostility between us. 15 He has abolished the law with its commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new humanity in place of the two, thus making peace, 16and might reconcile both groups to God in one body

• Group:  Soapbox - Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  962
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/11/1932

I have made a few posts in this thread supporting the opinion that the Sabbath, the seventh day, Saturday, is still to be considered a sanctified day unto God.

Cephas, in this lengthy post has quoted many scriptures and commentaries supporting his view that Sunday is the correct day of worship for a Christian. The principle argument being that we are no longer under the law, that the New Covenant has replaced the Old Covenant.

True, we are no longer under the law! We are free to worship on any day we choose. The first day of the week is when the women found the empty tomb and knew Christ had risen. It is fitting for a Christian to hold the first day special in tribute to our Savior. It can be suggested the first day is the eighth day; the new beginning in the eternal reign of Christ after the millennium.

We should not put a stumbling block in front of believers requiring them to worship on a certain day. Cephas correctly quotes Romans 14: 5-6, that the Christian may worship on any day he chooses and to observe or not observe any special holy days. In Acts James and the disciples make a judgment