• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

Whose standards are used for "proper training?"

Don't you know? Man made laws are used, of course.

There is virutally no Biblical basis for about 90% of the "christian dress" discussion.

If there was a verse telling women in the Bible that their hem of their dress had to be 1 inch below the knew and so on, then people like Emily Anne would have an argument, but there clearly is not.

Did I say that the hem of the dress has to be 1 inch below the knee???? In other threads I have talked about dressing like prostitutes and referred to mini skirts. Common sense should tell you what I meant which was true mini skirts like the prostitutes wear to generate business. never did I give out what exact lenghth it should be, those are your own words, not mine!

1 Timothy 2:9 I also want woman to dress modestly..... would you say to dress like a prostitute is to dress modestly?

Proverbs 7:10 Then out came a woman to meet him, dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.

And a reminder, noone has ever said we should stone people who dress immodestly, but we also should not be afraid to IN LOVE approach the person after much prayer and see if the person maybe needs help finding new clothes and perhaps direct them to some scripture on the matter and show them what a joy it is to dress in a way that glorifies our Father in heaven. Yes, allow the Holy Spirit to work on them on the inside first, and eventually it should reflect on the outside as well as they shed the immodest wear. Note, I am not giving guidelines on what is/isn't immodest, I am speaking in general terms.

Edited by Emily Anne

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

:)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

I agree and have always agreed 100% that what you have just described is one of the amazing ways God can use some of our ugly experiences and turn it into something beautiful for his glory. My own life is the most amazing example of that. There is alot abot my past that you are not aware of that I think would make you do this ---> :) I am wondering if you think I grew up in a perfect home and was sheltered from anything bad my whole life. I left home at 13 and spent some time on the streets and lost years of my life to drug addiction.

nobody was talking to you personally emily anne. And i don't really see why this information is valid?

And a reminder, noone has ever said we should stone people who dress immodestly, but we also should not be afraid to IN LOVE approach the person after much prayer and see if the person maybe needs help finding new clothes and perhaps direct them to some scripture on the matter and show them what a joy it is to dress in a way that glorifies our Father in heaven. Yes, allow the Holy Spirit to work on them on the inside first, and eventually it should reflect on the outside as well as they shed the immodest wear. Note, I am not giving guidelines on what is/isn't immodest, I am speaking in general terms.

Edited by Emily Anne

I agree and have always agreed 100% that what you have just described is one of the amazing ways God can use some of our ugly experiences and turn it into something beautiful for his glory. My own life is the most amazing example of that. There is alot abot my past that you are not aware of that I think would make you do this ---> :13: I am wondering if you think I grew up in a perfect home and was sheltered from anything bad my whole life. I left home at 13 and spent some time on the streets and lost years of my life to drug addiction.

nobody was talking to you personally emily anne. And i don't really see why this information is valid?

I was sharing that I knew what you meant when you said " Just the very fact that she was a prostitute would make other prostitutes listen to her with more respect and attention than any of us would be able to receive. A prostitute knows the life of a prostitute, and thus would be able to explain how her life changed due to the fact that she has received Christ." through my own life as an example. Therefore the information is valid to what you were saying. And I will never be afraid to show how God has used my bad experiences for the better and for his glory wether or not if others see it as "valid" A little testimony is ALWAYS a good thing! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I agree. How many times I have seen people in public places going into "fits of affection" Hey don't get me wrong, I'm a very affectionate person myself but there is a time and a place for everything. I have been married for almost 24 years and my husband I don't kiss for show affection in public. I have seem some where I want to hose them down or tell them to get a room. As for hugs I'm a hugger but I watch who I hug. One of the things I"m looking forward to is once in heaven seeing all of you and giving each one of you a big hug...counting the days. Great post! :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

There is virutally no Biblical basis for about 90% of the "christian dress" discussion.

If there was a verse telling women in the Bible that their hem of their dress had to be 1 inch below the knew and so on, then people like Emily Anne would have an argument, but there clearly is not.

and another quote:

"So the recommendation is for us to get to know them so you can correct them? Correct them according to whose standards?

Where's the trust in God to do what God can do? If someone asks your opinion or if God directs you to speak to someone about something, it'll be received well. Otherwise, it's just a religious box.

We are focusing on people's outside when God looks at our hearts"

grumble.... grumble... grumble... *kicks in a bucket while walking*... sigh.... shuts door behind her while shaking head*

I am keeping names annonymous for this post because I really don't want to attack anybody...

but rather.. I want to attack the concept... as soon I find the proper words to say ... go IB program teaching respect and tolerance toward lies *sigh*

I am very disappointed... I can't even find the proper words to say at this point because these posts along with a large combination of others have me so ... well? disappointed... saddened and almost to the point of anger...

How can anyone say such a thing???? How dare anyone say such a thing... :thumbsup:

"Whose standards are used for "proper training?"

"Don't you know? Man made laws are used, of course. If there was a verse telling women in the Bible that their hem of their dress had to be 1 inch below the knew and so on, then people like Emily Anne would have an argument, but there clearly is not"

I shouldn't... but I take that as an insult... There are way too many things wrong with the answer to that statement, and I can't help but take them to heart. Not only is that an insult to me becuase there surely are things in the bible against it, but people who shout out "legalism" and "judgemental" are merely hiding behind it because they don't want to accept the truth... accept taht the bible has standards and that God takes *great* consideration into how we dress.. just look at all the things God said about teh dress of the priests in the old testament... That is an insult to me...

Second, and most importantly to me, that was an insult to Emily Anne.. I notice she didn't say anything but I am going to. I have come to get to know Em on the boards and in chat, and she is absolutely wonderful...

"then people like Emily Anne would have an argument, but there clearly is not"...

That statement is truly uncalled for. Whysoblind, I have never had anything against you... ever... but how can you say such a thing?

What happened to those verses about loving one another??? What happened to that statements by everyone on here that we should be loving.. what happened to those? This was meant to be a clean discussion... without insult... why? Why was a need- no.. I don't want to know. That was truly uncalled for though.

And you know? Why is this more personal besides that it is in the bible and that it was an insult to Em, these are things I have fought the Lord long and hard on and dress has had such a major part in my life... changing from dressing like a slut to dressing in a way that would honor my God. I loved the original post for this thread that the women and men in the church shoudl be teaching the younger how to grow in the Lord.. it's in Timothy and Titus that they should... I love it because if no one had taught me, I wouldn't have known.

I give up and I"ll say this...

There.. for sure... IS a strict definiton for dress in the bible.. but how many times we try and avoid it, trying to live in the world. I am not gonig to judge someone who dresses like a slut, like I used to.. but you know? When someone is a Christian, that is supposed to change. And NO.. you don't get to know someone in order to tell them to change... there are people in our youth group who need to change their dress... I don't get to know them to tell them that... but they'll know by the messages that are preached and by the holy spirit... the thing is, you dont' get to know someone to tell them what to do.. you get to know someone, and act as the Lord lays on your heart.

I am so sick of peopel saying "love love love" as Em said... and nothing about doctrine. THERE ARE THINGS IN DOCTRINE ABOUT DRESS!!! Dress as you think is right, but goodness... don't try and tear someone else down because they are trying to teach others what the bible says about it.. by saying it isn't in the Bible..

Dress matters.... Girls and guys, most of hte time, will dress a certain way to get the attention of the opposite gender.. to look nice, fit in... and there are many aspects of it.. God has a standard and that is modest. We are NOT to dress like the world. If you want to wear a short skirt where when you sit or bend over a guy can see your hiney... or even if you are standing up and barely move, than go on ahead. But I am not going to do that becuae I want to please my Lord. Are you going to tear me down because I refuse to dress like the world?

I am sick of this word "legalism" when used by Christians because it is stupid and it is petty. Notice I didn't call anybody that, but merely what peopel are doing.. it is truly petty becuase it is ridiculou to call yourself a Christian, but then tear someone else down when they have a standard about something that is based on biblical doctrine.

Folks, get over it. There is a biblical standard and I will not sit here anyone tear me down, or Em, or anybody else becuase you don't agree. Why not go to the bible and look for answers, instaed of being "legalistic"? Listening to the men and women in your churches, or possibly others who will say the bible doesnt' have a standard. It seems it like tolerance. Most of those who cry "tolerance" are actually intolerant themselves. Those are cry "legalism!" are often legalistic themselves.. or so I have seen on these boards.. and so on these posts.

Why can't we get back to the topic at hand... There are other posts for discussing the true doctrine for how Christians are supposed to dress.. this is about the elder, more knowledgable/experienced teaching the younger not-so-experienced/knowledgable about what the bible says a man is to treat a woman and a woman to a man. I am truly disgusted with has gone on. :13:

Crystal

• Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

I agree. How many times I have seen people in public places going into "fits of affection" Hey don't get me wrong, I'm a very affectionate person myself but there is a time and a place for everything. I have been married for almost 24 years and my husband I don't kiss for show affection in public. I have seem some where I want to hose them down or tell them to get a room. As for hugs I'm a hugger but I watch who I hug. One of the things I"m looking forward to is once in heaven seeing all of you and giving each one of you a big hug...counting the days. Great post! :thumbsup:

Amen! :13: