IGNORED

Has Your life been better since becoming a Christian?

emeraldgirl

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Not particularly better, but do-able! In Christ all things are possible, and I am more than conqueror! Help and answers at my fingertips? Yeah, God!

Known Jesus for 44 crazy years! He is ever near and always faithful.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  179
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/08/1971

I'm guessing your next question will be, "What about other people who's religions make their lives better as well?" If so, just realize that Christianity does not measure its value by how our lives are "better," thus it's an irrelevant observation.

No, that's not my next question. But that would be a good point, and probably one I would eventually ask.

However it never was about our human condition. It also was never about us. Although it necessarily is.

It was about Jesus, about Gods Glory, and He is alltogether Lovely and Worthy to be praised.

He is all we ever wanted, needed, or desired. He is our Promise, our Hope, and The Glory..

My next question would go like this:

If you answered "Yes" - in the practical sense, your life is better, does your faith then have a dependency on that being true? If you would answer *that* as "No", or if you answered "No" in the first place - your life is not better in practical terms, then why would you say "God is faithful"?

I have never been able to relate to "though he slay me, still I will follow him" or things along that line. Despite all the idealized concepts of "unconditional love", we do tend to love those whom we trust. Why do we trust someone? Because our experience tells us that the person usually doesn't harm us and/or actively tries to make things better for us. If a person harms you, or doesn't protect you from harm they would be able to prevent, it is normal to withdrawl trust from that person. So, for me, this applies to God, too. If my experience told me that God protects me from harm and brings good things my way, of course it would be simple to say I praise Him. But if my experience tells me no such thing, how could I love God or be devoted to Him? Why...HOW can a person say that God is faithful in the rubbish of life?

Like, Dave...you said:

He is all we ever wanted, needed, or desired.

What does that even mean to you if it doesn't have relevance to practical matters?

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Apparently you missed this portion:

If so, just realize that Christianity does not measure its value by how our lives are "better," thus it's an irrelevant observation.

Thus, your second question is still irrelevant.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

EG,

What does that even mean to you if it doesn't have relevance to practical matters?

It means that my life, The one I thought I was in control of. Wasn't really worth living because;

Mt

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

My life is better. I'm not more wealthy, I'm not in a higher position at work, but my life is better. I have more confidence, because of Him. I have security. Not financial security (though I have that to a certain extent), but the security in knowing that, even if I hit financial disaster or whatever, I know God will see me through it all.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

I've been a Christian for around 4 years now, I was totaly against anything to do with God for around 6 years and Things have been harder in ways, I have struggled, and suffered more, but before I was saved I hid behind drugs, and what ever I could find to fill the void in my life, It's harder to only stand on God, but it's always for the better, what I have learned in my life is that, though with God it is harder, I would rather overcome a mountain than stumble on a little hill. I have overcome more with Jesus burning in my heart, and My life has been for the better. God leads me, when I stray I hurt myself.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  179
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  04/08/1971

Apparently you missed this portion:

If so, just realize that Christianity does not measure its value by how our lives are "better," thus it's an irrelevant observation.

Thus, your second question is still irrelevant

And, it seems you missed *this* portion:

Dave, perhaps I should add tangible to practical. What you said:

Mt 16:26

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

That is a very real practical matter.

Is not knowable, so it still doesn't weigh that heavily compared with the life I have to live on earth. How do you "love God" or feel that he is all you want or need if it doesn't bear out in tangible ways in your life?

For 43 yrs I walked in the vanity of death but when life came I was renewed, completely. The most part of my death was spent abusing my body and soul; I was closer to physical death than anyone can imagine. I can now run cross country, hike 20 miles and ride a bike for 50m. I have a job that pays far too much and the Elohim given ability to enjoy each and every gift it pleases the Lord to bestow upon me.

Better? You kidding or what?

Then, truster, I would ask you the "Yes my life is better" part of my question: What if all of that collapsed? Would you still say God is faithful? If so, why?

I've been a Christian for around 4 years now, I was totaly against anything to do with God for around 6 years and Things have been harder in ways, I have struggled, and suffered more, but before I was saved I hid behind drugs, and what ever I could find to fill the void in my life, It's harder to only stand on God, but it's always for the better, what I have learned in my life is that, though with God it is harder, I would rather overcome a mountain than stumble on a little hill. I have overcome more with Jesus burning in my heart, and My life has been for the better. God leads me, when I stray I hurt myself.

Josh, your answer is remarkably transparent...thanks for that. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  12/11/1960

1-Before walking with God I had many friends,I was the fun girl to be around,Now I have a handful of friends that I have had since highschool that truely know and love me.I wouldn't trade 'em for 10 times the friends I did have.

2-I had more money to blow. I want.. I want.. I want, responsibility was not in my vocabulary.

I now have a home, Household bills, car note and I stay broke. But God does and always will provide the things I need.I don't stress much when the purse gets light.

3-I was #1 in everything. I could not imagine having to worry about tending to kids! I now have 5 children that the Lord blessed me with, 2 of them I didn't even have to birth, and it gives me such joy that they know I will always have their back, they hold 1 st place with me.

4-I used to have a really smart mouth, ole razor tongue, that was me. It feels good to smile and say God bless when someone is trying to hurt or make me mad.

So yes my life is a lot different...better? Nah, Nope, No way!

I have Peace, I have love, and I have such great joy!!!

And for your next question, If I had a million dollars, no bills, no children and husband,and all the friends inthe world to hang out with. I would still love the Lord because as I look back I had nothing.. I was alone just wandering through this world with no hope, no comfort, no true joy and no REAL love. :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

And, it seems you missed *this* portion:

Because you're looking at it via pragmatism. "Does this faith benefit me in some pragmatic way." Faith is not pragmatic and will not always benefit us in these "practical" means. The purpose of Christianity isn't for man but instead for God's glory, thus placing the benefits on us makes literally no sense.