TreyM

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus said that Christians are supposed to be the light of the world. Paul says that Christians are supposed to be conformed to be like Jesus.

So how important do you think it is that if we claim to be Christians that we act like it ... at work, at school, at the grocery store, while we're driving, etc.

How damaging do you feel it is to say, "I'm a Christian," and then act nothing like it? How damaging do you feel it is to have a person say, "I'm a Christian and then use the Lord's name in vain."

What's your opinion?

Trey

http://rediscovering-church.blogspot.com/

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Hypocrisy is very damaging to the furtherance of the gospel. That is one of the many reasons why there is so much unbelief today. People look at the lives of Christians (who admit to being Christian), and see hypocrisy and base their rejection of the truth on that! Pretty damaging!

However, many people say they are Christian, when they are ignorant of what a Christian is, thinking that they were baptized in some church as a child, or they are Christian because their family is, or because they live in a so-called Christian land! All claims based on lies.

When we accept Jesus as Saviour and LORD, then we have the responsibility to grow in Him and live before the world as Jesus wants us to...as He would live.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

If there is one thing that I truly hate it's HYPOCRISY. And this is a major problem for A LOT of christians. I'm not going to say that I'm a saint and that I've never done anything that people would think to be un-christian, but there are christians that think they can do whatever they wish and then just go and ask for forgiveness.

My ex is a perfect example of this. He preaches the word and then cheats on his girlfriends...

Whatever.

And yes, in a bad mood. My apologies.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

It's okay, Sierra...I'm with you there... ;)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/05/1969

If there is one thing that I truly hate it's HYPOCRISY. And this is a major problem for A LOT of christians. I'm not going to say that I'm a saint and that I've never done anything that people would think to be un-christian, but there are christians that think they can do whatever they wish and then just go and ask for forgiveness.

My ex is a perfect example of this. He preaches the word and then cheats on his girlfriends...

Whatever.

And yes, in a bad mood. My apologies.

Yeah, no one is perfect and we all make mistakes and make the wrong choices on occassion, but there are a lot of people that do just what you said sierra. They preach the word and tell everyone what they should be doing, then turn around and intentionally do something they KNOW to be wrong. THEN they think they ask for forgiveness and it's all ok. That really burns me too.

And it's ok to be in a bad mood. You can always vent here and we'll listen. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I've added some thoughts to my blog on the issue of letting your light shine. I think it is essential that we live what we profess. I know I'm far from perfect. I know you don't have to look very closely to see the faults in my life. But practicing what you preach is imperative!

Trey

http://rediscovering-church.blogspot.com/

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  12/06/1951

Trey, I'm glad you posted this....it is something I have thought about often.......I think there are many that take the name 'Christian' too lightly. And I don't mean they are to be bound by "legalism" (as there is freedom in Christ), nor they are to be squelched by "religion".....but what the word "Christian" means to me is 'Christ-like', and I for one am far from it...so I don't say...." I'm a Christian".... I say "I'm trying to be a Christian"...because I feel that if I am not being "Christ-like" and claim to be Christian I AM taking the name of the Lord in vain...(or taking it up in a worthless manner).

If we would just think about what is holy.......(Hallowed be thy name.....holy, elevated above all else).....just my own thoughts.

I really like the bumper sticker I saw that says: "Christians aren't perfect just forgiven"........Some of us forget we haven't arrived yet :thumbsup:

Hypocrisy is very damaging to the furtherance of the gospel. That is one of the many reasons why there is so much unbelief today. People look at the lives of Christians (who admit to being Christian), and see hypocrisy and base their rejection of the truth on that! Pretty damaging!

However, many people say they are Christian, when they are ignorant of what a Christian is, thinking that they were baptized in some church as a child, or they are Christian because their family is, or because they live in a so-called Christian land! All claims based on lies.

When we accept Jesus as Saviour and LORD, then we have the responsibility to grow in Him and live before the world as Jesus wants us to...as He would live.

Could not agree more with floating. Becoming mre Christ-like in every aspect of our lives, including speech and action, is after Salvation our goal. Our witness is affected by every action and inaction as seen by the non-believer!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

I think some who call themselves Christians take on the title because they like what God has to offer. But turn their hearts from what Christ commanded of us as believers because its hard work. They want to walk both sides but Christ will be the judge of their actions.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  523
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

When I say "I am a Christian"

By: Carol Wimmer

When I say..." I am a Christian"

I'm not shouting "I am saved"

I'm whispering "I get lost"

"That is why I chose this way"

When I say..."I am a Christian"

I don't speak of this with pride

I'm confessing that I stumble

and need someone to be my guide

I'm not trying to be strong

I'm professing that I'm weak

and pray for strength to carry on

I'm not bragging of success

I'm admitting I have failed

and cannot ever pay the debt

I'm not claiming to be perfect,

my flaws are all too visible

but God believes I'm worth it

I still feel the sting of pain

I have my share of heartaches

which is why I seek His name

I do not wish to judge

I have no authority

I only know I'm loved.

Click Here for Website

One of the many sites that share this classic poem also added this and I thought it summed it all up:

"From time to time we all need to be reminded that there's no room in life for pride or self-will. We need to follow the voice of the Lord. I believe many who visit this Site truly are following God's voice for they have compassion -- compassion for all of God's creatures. Not only do they have compassion, but they are willing to do something about their beliefs. This does not mean that we won't stumble, fall or get lost from time to time. This does not mean that we are perfect or strong or that we haven't failed or felt pain. It doesn't mean that our futures are going to be filled with all of the joyful "earthly" things that we desire. It means that we will have an inner peace that cannot be matched or duplicated. It means that the void in our hearts has been filled -- a filling that we can get nowhere else but from the Lord.

So carry on my Christian friends. Go out and spread the message in your hearts. The message of love, compassion and peace for all of God's creation -- not just for man. I hope you enjoy this poem. It really touched my heart.

In His Love,

Debra"

:whistling: