• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

The Daily Mail Click to see the astounding pictures

A twin leans over and kisses the cheek of her sister in a heart-warming picture that would not be out of place in any family home.

Yet these siblings are a not even born and the astonishing images have been captured on a new 'four-dimensional' ultrasound scan of the womb.

The scans are a highly developed form of traditional ultrasound where very high frequency sound waves are used to produce images of what is inside the body.

As with older forms of ultra-sound, sound waves a emitted from a transducer, or probe, which is placed on the mother's abdomen and then moved to 'look at' areas in the uterus. These sound waves bounce back off the foetus, helping to create a 'picture' of the child on a screen.

The new 4D scan us ses the same frequency of sound waves w as in a normal ultrasound. But the sound waves are directed from many more angles, producing a 'real-time' video of the foetus as it moves and allowing scientists to say the images are in four dimensions.

This advanced technology has allowed scientists to capture the development of foetuses like never before, including twins and triplets jostling for space in the womb while grasping each other's hands and even faces.

The images have also allowed scientists to create life-size silicone models and astonishing computer-generated images of the multiple foetuses, some of which are seen in the pictures shown here.

For the first time, it has also been possible to see detailed pictures of 'vanishing twin syndrome' - where a foetus dies and is re-absorbed into the womb, often in the early stages of pregnancy.

Doctors estimate this occurs in 11 per cent of pregnancies. Some scientists have suggested that 'vanishing twin syndrome' occurs because of a lack of nutrients, so the mother's body naturally 'loses' one or more foetus in order to boost the survival of the others.

Scientists have also been able to examine a variety of twin called a 'mirror' twin, which occasionally occurs when embryos split. This means that while one twin is left-handed, the other is right-handed. But in extreme cases it can lead to one twin having its heart on the left, while the sibling has their heart on the right.

London-based obstetrician Professor Stuart Campbell, who is the pioneer of 4D scans in Britain, performed the scans for a National Geographic documentary.

He says: 'It was fascinating to see the babies in more detail than ever before. I was amazed at the detail in the faces - smiles, blinking - and the interaction between multiple foetuses.'

The scans were used to particular effect when charting the progress of the naturally conceived, identical quadruplets of Julie Carles, 38, whose story was revealed exclusively in the Mail last year.

The scans showed the four fetal bodies developing in minute detail - it is even possible to see their eyelids opening - as well as their developmental patterns as they jostle for space in the womb.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,582
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  1

That is so cool, wish it was around when I was pregnant

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  662
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/01/1960

One thing to think about.. the spirit is fully entact upon conception.... already able to feel emotions from the outside enviroment. Doing inner healing on people using the Crafton method has found that some have picked up a spirit of rejection (unwanted pregnancy) from time of conception. Even a spirit of fear from things going on in the life of the mother. It is a known fact that a baby born with colic has a spirit of fear from/during delivery.(in deliverance ministry)

Amazing!! How i wish this was available before each of my girls were born. Mind boggling how we can make such advancements in one area of science and yet still be bogged down in the basics of the creation of life.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  121
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  05/31/1964

Amazing. Absolutly amazing.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

That was so cute!

When we were trying to determine in my first pregnancy if (my son) was a boy or girl, it was still a little early-they were checking me for "twins", His legs were wide open it seemed it was a boy, but at that point they couldn't tell- He just looked so relaxed and care free. Then when I came back a month later, He covered himself, they worked so hard to get him to move his hands, then they tried to get a "behind" shot-to see if we could get better clues, then the rascal but his hand in the way again, finally, we got the news that we were having a little boy. Yeah, I was so happy (would be happy with either).

Then when with my daughters sonigram- her eyes were wide open-looking in the same direction-that was awesome.

Guest Biblicist

My niece has a crowded womb.

After the loss of two babies in the past year, one to miscarriage, the other an ectopic pregnancy [that was a tough one!] she is now pregnant with twins! The Lord giveth and giveth! We are excited in a reserved, worried sort of way.

She just went today for another sonogram. I wonder if they will be able to tell if they are fraternal or identical twins yet. They have a daughter, she will be 3 just before the twins arrive. She can't wait for Mommy to have the twins so she can take care of them.

This technology would be wonderful to see those sweet babies.

My niece has a crowded womb.

After the loss of two babies in the past year, one to miscarriage, the other an ectopic pregnancy [that was a tough one!] she is now pregnant with twins! The Lord giveth and giveth! We are excited in a reserved, worried sort of way.

She just went today for another sonogram. I wonder if they will be able to tell if they are fraternal or identical twins yet. They have a daughter, she will be 3 just before the twins arrive. She can't wait for Mommy to have the twins so she can take care of them.

This technology would be wonderful to see those sweet babies.

Yeah! Isn't it wonderful!!!