IGNORED

Creation

Believers Battlecry

6 Days  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How long did it take God to create the World?

• 6 literal 24 hour days
    • 6,000 years
    • 6 million years
    • I believe in evolution/big bang theories
    • I don't know who created the world

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Days Won:  0

Took billions of years.

Amen. :emot-handshake:

I believe that there's a very real possibility for the Genesis account to be a restoration of the earth from a prior judgment.

Do you mean He may have made another lot of everything.and trashed (judgement) the whole shooting box and started again with adam.

Well He has told us in no uncertain terms what He is going to do with this lot, and I believe Him.

Careful Ovedya, we're in the minority here. :emot-highfive:

Eric, if you run into the time, try to read "Christian Theodicy in light of Genesis and Modern Science" by William Dembski. It's a difficult read, but I respect your intelligence, so I'm not too worried. :emot-highfive: It really explains the position most "Crevolutionists" (term I made up) believe in.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

What is amazing is that you have a book that clearly defines what we consider one whole day " morning, evening" and we totally reject that it could remotely be possibly, maybe be 24 hours like what we know now, but we will take a "man-made theory" of one million years, WOW that takes faith. I guess I will stick to the Book that has been around the longest. When you throw out the Genesis account of Creation you undermine the rest of the Bible. Like it or not!

Honestly, I've never understood why some believers use the interpretation of "day" in the creation account as a litmus test for fellow believers. It's like, if you don't believe in 6, 24 hour days then you must not believe any of the bible. This is absurd, and frankly graceless. There are numerous well-educated, believing scholars on both sides of this debate. So obviously, there is enough ambiguity to allow for some grace. Just because someone holds a different interpretation of "day" does not mean they disregard or "undermine" the totality of Scripture. Instead of using this as a reference for judgment, we should appreciate that we at least agree that all things were created by God, and God alone.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  1

What is amazing is that you have a book that clearly defines what we consider one whole day " morning, evening" and we totally reject that it could remotely be possibly, maybe be 24 hours like what we know now, but we will take a "man-made theory" of one million years, WOW that takes faith. I guess I will stick to the Book that has been around the longest. When you throw out the Genesis account of Creation you undermine the rest of the Bible. Like it or not!

Here is the problem, either the creation accounts in Genesis are metaphorical, or its literal and the earth is but 6000 years old and thus God's creation, meaning the entire universe and all life in it, is a lie.

I might add that literal creationsim is a tiny minority view in Christianity.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I believe in a literal Genesis account of Creation...it took God six 24 hour days. Just want to see what other Christians believe.

The Genesis account is not 6, 24 hour days. This thing has been hashed out so many times that it is almost getting old. Six literal day creation has scriptural problems it simply can not reconcile.

Can you explain Genesis 1:5? :emot-hug:

Yes, that is simple. The evening and the morning were symbolic of ending and beginning.

24 hour days, the sun and the moon, were created on day 4. Please explain how 1:5 is reference to a 24 hour day, considering the 24 hour day was created on day 4. :wub::wub:

Please read the following and check out Answers in Genesis for more study.

According to Genesis 1, the sun was not created until day four. How could there be day and night (ordinary days) without the sun for the first three days?

Answer

a) Again, it is important for us to let the language of God

Edited by Believers Battlecry

Here is the problem, either the creation accounts in Genesis are metaphorical, or its literal and the earth is but 6000 years old and thus God's creation, meaning the entire universe and all life in it, is a lie.

Actually, there's even another option. You can still hold the 6 days as "literal" but hold that "day" (yom) represents an era (or epic of time). Just as "day" in English can mean several things, for instance:

1. 24 hour period: "We went to the store that day".

2. Period of light during the 24 hours: "Tomorrow we will talk during the day".

3. An indeterminate period of time: "Back in the day, we used to walk to school".

The word "yom" can be used to express these three different concepts, just as the word "day" does in English. Therefore, a person (such as myself) can still hold to the biblical creation account, still hold that it is literally true (and a literal 6 days), and yet embrace the concept that those 'days' represented billions of years instead of a 24 hour period. :emot-hug:

Actually, there's even another option. You can still hold the 6 days as "literal" but hold that "day" (yom) represents an era (or epic of time). Just as "day" in English can mean several things, for instance:

1. 24 hour period: "We went to the store that day".

2. Period of light during the 24 hours: "Tomorrow we will talk during the day".

3. An indeterminate period of time: "Back in the day, we used to walk to school".

The word "yom" can be used to express these three different concepts, just as the word "day" does in English. Therefore, a person (such as myself) can still hold to the biblical creation account, still hold that it is literally true (and a literal 6 days), and yet embrace the concept that those 'days' represented billions of years instead of a 24 hour period. :emot-hug:

To understand the meaning of

Edited by Believers Battlecry

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

Answers in Genesis really isn't a reliable site.

Likewise, I can point you to thousands of people who speak Hebrew who will tell you that Genesis 1 shouldn't be taken ultra literally.

Must be nice to just copy and paste, and not have to actually engage in discussion and think for yourself. :emot-hug:

Likewise, I can point you to thousands of people who speak Hebrew who will tell you that Genesis 1 shouldn't be taken ultra literally.

"Answers in Genesis really isn't a reliable site." Please back this up with some evidence. Thank you.

"Answers in Genesis really isn't a reliable site." Please back this up with some evidence. Thank you.