• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

They don't because it has been branded as a Catholic "thing", and many churches preach that everything Catholic is evil, therfore they will fervently reject it no matter what.

At the church I grew up in, they didn't preach that Catholics or their practices were evil. When we learned about Cults, Catholics never even came up. We learned the proper way to worship that is all. I do know it is a Catholic "thing", but I was never taught it was wrong, just different.

That is good to hear, I know not all churches do this but some do. Just look at the responses and you can see an effort to make it out to be something bad. Not just different, but anti-biblical.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Biblicist
That is good to hear, I know not all churches do this but some do. Just look at the responses and you can see an effort to make it out to be something bad. Not just different, but anti-biblical.

None of the responses have made "crossing yourself" anti-Biblical, or bad.

Arthur and Floatingaxe are correct, it is not what we do that identify's us with Christ. It's what is in our hearts. If making the sign of the cross gives you a connection to Christ's death on the cross, and the Trinity, then so be it. But it's not necessary to Salvation and NOT doing that is not going to keep you from eternity with God, either. Can we agree on that?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  01/17/1975

TheLutherans claim it as a sign and remembrance of Baptism.

The sign of the cross is ecumenical, in that is used by the Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Lutherans, and Episcopalians, and is slowly increasing in use among mainline Protestants. It is also a remembrance of the death and resurrection of our Lord: the center of our faith.

Following are some references which I got from the ELCA worship :FAQ site

In current ecumenical usage, the sign of the cross is made or may be made at the following times or occasions:

At Baptism: Rubric 14 says "The minister marks the sign of the cross on the forehead of each of the baptized. Oil prepared for this purpose may be used. As the sign of the cross is made, the minister says: "______, child of God, you have been sealed by the Holy Spirit and marked with the cross of Christ forever" (LBW, page 124).

At the invocation in orders for confession and forgiveness in the Lutheran Book of Worship, With One Voice, Libro de Liturgia y Cantico, and This Far by Faith.

At the absolution in orders for confession and forgiveness. For example, in the Lutheran Book of Worship, Brief Order for Confession and Forgiveness, the sign of the cross is made as the minister says, "I therefore declare to you the entire forgiveness of all your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit."

At reading of the Gospel, as the words "A reading from the holy Gospel according to ____" are said, a small cross may be traced with the thumb, first on the forehead, then lips, and finally on the breast. Signing the cross at the gospel is used most often by Roman Catholics and in varying degrees by some Lutherans and Episcopalians.

At conclusion of the Nicene Creed, when the phrase "and the life of the world to come" is said. Making the sign of the cross here is a remembrance that resurrected life is promised to those baptized into Christ.

In Holy Communion, as the "Blessed is He" is sung in the Sanctus, and immediately before or after receiving the elements of bread and wine.

At the benediction when a trinitarian form of benediction (one that includes the words "Father, + Son, and Holy Spirit") is used, and during the final phrase of the Aaronic benediction.

As part of the Rite of Welcome, the first in a series of the rites used in the catechumenal process to welcome inquirers who may be discerning the call to baptism. During this rite, sponsors make sign of the cross on over their inquirers

None of the responses have made "crossing yourself" anti-Biblical, or bad.

Arthur and Floatingaxe are correct, it is not what we do that identify's us with Christ. It's what is in our hearts. If making the sign of the cross gives you a connection to Christ's death on the cross, and the Trinity, then so be it. But it's not necessary to Salvation and NOT doing that is not going to keep you from eternity with God, either. Can we agree on that?

"Hi, Metro indeed! The "sign of the cross" is, for those of us who live by Holy Scripture as opposed to the traditions of man, pure poppycock."

I guess it was comments like this that made me think otherwise. I took this to mean he believes that it is purly a tradition of man that is against the Holy Scriptures. Thus making it something bad.

But I could be wrong.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

Hi again, Metro! One can either worship God with hands held high or hands kept low. No one has the prerogative on worship, save it be "in spirit and in truth," as Jesus Himself declared. Now you have two roads in front of you: (1) the traditions of man; or (2) the declarations of Holy Scripture. The WOOD of the cross or the WORK of Jesus. The SIGN of a cross or the SAVIOR no longer on the cross. Choose wisely. One is of man; one of God.

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Good Question!

Hi again, Metro! One can either worship God with hands held high or hands kept low. No one has the prerogative on worship, save it be "in spirit and in truth," as Jesus Himself declared. Now you have two roads in front of you: (1) the traditions of man; or (2) the declarations of Holy Scripture. The WOOD of the cross or the WORK of Jesus. The SIGN of a cross or the SAVIOR no longer on the cross. Choose wisely. One is of man; one of God.

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

Lets stop making any assumption here. Author, are you saying that the sign of the cross is against the teaching of scripture and thus it is a bad thing?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

It is not even hinted at in scripture, and is an extra religious activity which has no value except to the feelings of security in the believer. We don't need any security but the full assurance of the promises of God in Christ Jesus.

Guest Biblicist

I think a good question to ask ourselves would be. . . Does it HURT your relationship with the Lord to cross yourself for prayer?

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

It is not even hinted at in scripture, and is an extra religious activity which has no value except to the feelings of security in the believer. We don't need any security but the full assurance of the promises of God in Christ Jesus.

Just because it's an "extra religious activity" doesn't automatically mean it's bad. Also, it does more than give those who practice it feelings of security...that MIGHT be a bi-product of it (but isn't even necessarily so), but first and foremost I think it's an expression of love and worship and respect. How does it have no value? How is any expression of our love for and devotion to God without value??