zecha51

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Is the King James Version of the Bible easy for you to read in the year 2007?

Will it continue to be used? Is it fading out of the English language or is it basically already gone? The local Church I go to still uses KJV cited hymns (sp) but not Bibles. Most use the NIV.

Thoughts?

KatyAnn thanks for the reply.

I know some believers in rural Arkansas and they ONLY use the KJV. (not part of 'KJV' only movement or anything)

They say it has more "grit." :24:

Here in Florida it seems to be more rare for people to use the KJV. I usually see NASB and NIV at churches.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Of course, I grew up on it, but in order to witness to people today who speak modern English, and to be optimally relatable, I use a few other versions. I believe the unchurched and unsaved will receive more understanding when the language is not archaic and would require more contemplation to get the basic message.

It's about the KISS principle....

Keep it simple, stupid! :24:

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

In 1978 when I was just saved I was told to try the NASB, which I did. It seemed like a closed book to me and the pastor of the church I attended suggested to try the KJV which I did. Have been using it ever since. I don't find it difficult, but I do find it thought provoking and inducing me to search the scriptures more for the meaning of the verse.

Question: If all the newest versions are the best why do they keep having to update them? Could it be that the bible is the biggest money maker of all time. To try to make more money they have to come up with a new version all the time.

All the new versions are based on the Hort-Westcot texts which is why there are words, verses, and passages omitted in them that you will find in the KJV.

The wording may seen easier to understand but if you have the Holy Spirit you have everything you need to understand the bible.

LT

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

In 1978 when I was just saved I was told to try the NASB, which I did. It seemed like a closed book to me and the pastor of the church I attended suggested to try the KJV which I did. Have been using it ever since. I don't find it difficult, but I do find it thought provoking and inducing me to search the scriptures more for the meaning of the verse.

Question: If all the newest versions are the best why do they keep having to update them? Could it be that the bible is the biggest money maker of all time. To try to make more money they have to come up with a new version all the time.

All the new versions are based on the Hort-Westcot texts which is why there are words, verses, and passages omitted in them that you will find in the KJV.

The wording may seen easier to understand but if you have the Holy Spirit you have everything you need to understand the bible.

LT

Yes I have the Holy Spirit, but I am asking the dear person who doesn't know a thing about God to read verses! The Holy Spirit can open eyes to truth, but I want to be relatable and easier for that person...so nice for them to read the Bible in their vernacular when what they may have expected was some dusty, archaic words....How pleasant for these people!

It's great to use these versions for evangelism! I never use the KJV any more for myself, except when comparing versions when reading up on a topic.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,884
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

I GREW UP WITH KJV AND HAVE READ IT MY ENTIRE LIFE. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT AT ALL.

WHEN I GOT SAVED IN 1974, THE LIVING BIBLE WAS POPULAR. I GOT ONE, GAVE IT AWAY SHORTLY THEREAFTER.

I HAVE TRIED OTHER VERSIONS NOW AND THEN, AND THEY ARE CONFUSING.

I MAY USE SOMETHING LIKE A NKJV FOR BIBLE STUDY, BUT CONTINUE WITH KJV.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

I use it. I started reading the bible in 2002 at the age of 11 with an NIV bible. I finished that in about 2005. This year I got a KJV translation and I very much like it. I don't think I will ever go back to the NIV (except for quoting verses of course, I try to keep it simple for other people). The KJV's language really isn't that confusing, and it's downright easy when compared to shakespeare and other old english.

I think many Bible versions can be used to witness to others. (Although I have a personal grudge against 'the message' - it is just so sloppy)

Here is a verse that could confuse an unbeliever who is being witnessed to from the KJV.

"And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit."

I Corinthians 15:45

The word quickening is very easy to understand once you get it once. Maybe it would not be tough for most. Not trying to stir the pot. I

In general it seems the KJV has some possibly difficult words, but like mentioned is easy compared to say Shakespeare's King Lear or Chaucers The Canterbury Tales from personal reading. thanks for the insight, the KJV is indeed beautiful also as far as flowing language.

Edited by zecha51

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.17
  • Days Won:  58

So far no one on this thread has expressed any difficulty in understanding the KJV and some of us read and understood it as children.

Maybe because those who have difficulty are afraid to speak up.

I was not raised on the kjv. Its hard for me to read. Given that there are other versions, I read them, and look to the interlinear bibles etc. I want to understand the bible, not just understand every other word in it.

Guest Biblicist

I grew up with it, so I remember most of my verses in KJV language. :o

However, most of the time I was rather confused. Because I did not grow up speaking King James English, most of the ideas seemed disjointed. Some of the words and ideas were rather obscure. "Bowels of mercies"? What's that? As a child I only knew that bowels are not something to be talked about at the dinner table. :noidea:

Since I got my NLT I have learned so much more from God's word. I understand so much more about His grace and mercy. I can see the connections throughout the Bible.

Even though we have learned so much more about Greek, and Hebrew and since the discovery of the Rosetta Stone we have learned that many of the terms in KJV were translated incorrectly, God used that version to bring myself to Him. And he also lead my father through it's pages bringing Dad into a closer walk with Him.

I believe that God's word will serve His purpose no matter what the translation.

Isaiah 55:11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:

It will not return to me empty,

but will accomplish what I desire

and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.