• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/20/1947

Proverbs 31:10-31 (KJV)

10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.

11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.

12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.

13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.

14 She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.

15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.

16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.

17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.

18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.

19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.

20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.

21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.

22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.

23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.

24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.

25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.

29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.

30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.

31Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  679
  • Days Won:  1

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread - it has been both interesting and instructive.

I have not yet read a response that moves me from my initial position that if wives deny the headship of their husbands then we are in danger of losing the symbolism of Jesus', the bridegroom's, headship of the church (His bride). It seems to me, as a Christian woman, that I would not want to respond to a Christian husband in any way differently from how the church responds to Jesus - i.e. always acknowledging His headship and authority - as well as His love. Jesus' demonstration of His servanthood when He washed the disciples' feet is enough to convince me that Jesus' headship is neither unloving, enslaving or dictatorial. It is, in fact, so beautiful that I cannot understand how any woman could NOT want to have as her head a husband who treated her the way Christ does His church. And is this not what Paul enjoined husbands to do when he said; "Husbands love your wives as Christ loves the Church."

In Jesus,

Ruth

Edited by methinkshe

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Wow, that was beautifully written!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread - it has been both interesting and instructive.

I have not yet read a response that moves me from my initial position that if wives deny the headship of their husbands then we are in danger of losing the symbolism of Jesus', the bridegroom's, headship of the church (His bride). It seems to me, as a Christian woman, that I would not want to respond to a Christian husband in any way differently from how the church responds to Jesus - i.e. always acknowledging His headship and authority - as well as His love. Jesus' demonstration of His servanthood when He washed the disciples' feet is enough to convince me that Jesus' headship is neither unloving, enslaving or dictatorial. It is, in fact, so beautiful that I cannot understand how any woman could NOT want to have as her head a husband who treated her the way Christ does His church. And is this not what Paul enjoined husbands to do when he said; "Husbands love your wives as Christ loves the Church."

In Jesus,

Ruth

Shalom Ruth,

I agree, that is beautifully written! And so true. Thank you!

Guest LadyC

in a godly marriage, the man is the head of the household.

but the WOMAN is the neck that turns the head.

without a neck, a head has no support, nor does it have anything to support. the neck is absolutely essential for the head to function properly....

and without a head, the neck has nothing to support and is pretty much useless. so the head is just as essential to the neck.

now, the head is where the mouth is located.... the husband and wife are equal in marriage. in the event of an impasse, the man has the final say... but it best be in line with God's will.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  829
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/26/1943

in a godly marriage, the man is the head of the household.

but the WOMAN is the neck that turns the head.

without a neck, a head has no support, nor does it have anything to support. the neck is absolutely essential for the head to function properly....

and without a head, the neck has nothing to support and is pretty much useless. so the head is just as essential to the neck.

now, the head is where the mouth is located.... the husband and wife are equal in marriage. in the event of an impasse, the man has the final say... but it best be in line with God's will.

And what is your Scripture reference for this? :thumbsup:

It is indeed nice to make our own analogys. But I would much rather deal with the metaphor that Paul gave. Husband is "head of" (metaphorically, not actually) his wife in sacrificial love, tending to her needs, nurturing, supporting and protecting. Wife is "body of" (metaphorically, not actually) her husband in supportive submission fitting into his needs, honoring and respecting. This is a picture of interdependence. A body without a head is dead. A head without a body is dead. The life of the marriage is preserved by both first, "submitting one to another in the fear of God" and then sacrificially loving, honoring, supporting, and preserving one another in their unique ways.

Guest LadyC

scriptural references?

the story of esther is my favorite. but there are probably another dozen biblical stories which illustrate the wife as the neck of the family throughout scripture. martin, your post says the same thing mine did, only using more socially acceptable terms.

the husband is still the final authority of the home. nothing in my post indicated that a woman should not be in godly submission to her husband. but scripture also demands that a husband submit to a wife. it is only our human perceptions that draw some line making wifely submission different than husbandly submission. the godly definition of submission is to serve one another with love... voluntarily cooperating and supporting one another... it's a heart attitude, not a willful tug-of-war.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

But I would much rather deal with the metaphor that Paul gave. Husband is "head of" (metaphorically, not actually) his wife in sacrificial love, tending to her needs, nurturing, supporting and protecting. Wife is "body of" (metaphorically, not actually) her husband in supportive submission fitting into his needs, honoring and respecting. This is a picture of interdependence. A body without a head is dead. A head without a body is dead. The life of the marriage is preserved by both first, "submitting one to another in the fear of God" and then sacrificially loving, honoring, supporting, and preserving one another in their unique ways.

Shalom Martin.

Actually, I prefer to take the Bible as it is, not read things INTO it.

The head means the authority. That is what the Bible says the man is over the wife.

That is the order of submission the Scriptures plainly lay out:

Jesus

Husband

Wife

Children

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  679
  • Days Won:  1

scriptural references?

the story of esther is my favorite. but there are probably another dozen biblical stories which illustrate the wife as the neck of the family throughout scripture. martin, your post says the same thing mine did, only using more socially acceptable terms.

the husband is still the final authority of the home. nothing in my post indicated that a woman should not be in godly submission to her husband. but scripture also demands that a husband submit to a wife. it is only our human perceptions that draw some line making wifely submission different than husbandly submission. the godly definition of submission is to serve one another with love... voluntarily cooperating and supporting one another... it's a heart attitude, not a willful tug-of-war.

I believe that for wives, the perfect order of authority under God is even better than you paint. It is that a wife should be elevated to this amazing position where she is so loved by her husband that he will wash her feet at one end of the spectrum and lay down his life for her at the other, and everything else in between as well. All that a wife has to do is reciprocate that love and submit to her husband's loving authority. And with that kind of love, it's not so very difficult!! Where men initiate and women reciprocate there is a holy order of authority that perfectly mirrors the status of Jesus' relationship with the church. "For we love Him because He first loved us...." Initiation (husbands should be first to repent, forgive, rekindle dying love, etc etc) puts a lot of responsibility on the husband, but that's why he must also have authority. All that wives have to do is to reciprocate. What freedom!

In Jesus

Ruth

Edited by methinkshe