Natt

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

As Christian parents, we reinforce who Christ is in our children's lives. Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, and Harry Potter are not given any emphasis in thier lives. They have collected cards and lost them (collections were stolen) and have read the books. They also read the Bible, we discus the Bible and what it says. We focus on God and how God cannot be stolen from us. They also read Peanuts, Calvin N Hobbs, Dennis the Menace, even though these are comics, and then the schools required readings. Our children will encounter many many things that are not Godly. They need the tools on how to disceren what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. Whether or not you allow you children to read HP books or collect cards, you need to bring up your children in what glorifies God and what does not. One day, our children will stand before God and have to be accountable too.

Television, radio, computers, public schools. These are avenues for worldy influence that are part of life for many Christian families. If we are not active parents in helping our children distinguish what is healthy, what is Godly vs what is evil. We as parents also need to be carefull what we put first in our lives too. Our children are watching us.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone.

It's so nice to be able to have a discussion like this one without a "flame war" breaking out! :24: I've been to churches where it was preached if you read certain books, listened to this or that band, etc. you were going to hell. I like being able to take part in a civilized discussion.

Thanks again. :24:

I wanted to add that I have seen the first 2 HP movies on HBO -- it was a weekend, I was on the road, stuck at a motel, and had no computer, and therefore was going out of my mind with boredom. This was about 5 years ago or so. I enjoyed both movies, and thought there were parts that were extremely funny. I knew it was fiction, so no foul.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

These books are lame. I wouldn't want my son to read it.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

That's a matter of opinion, but not really on topic...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

What do you let your son read? Just curious, not meaning to be argumentative...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/04/1971

Here's a good article.

http://www.heightschristian.org/Resources/...HarryPotter.pdf

In it it describes how children are wanting to enroll into schools which teach witchcraft, etc. If you do a search on the effects of Harry Potter and the increased interest of witchcraft, you'll come up with tons of different articles and reports. Schools are usuing it as cirriculum, which is ridiculous.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  469
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  09/21/1967

Pokemon is pretty harmless fun, well depending on what you call fun, how old your kids are and if you want them exposed to the few

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Here's a good article.

http://www.heightschristian.org/Resources/...HarryPotter.pdf

In it it describes how children are wanting to enroll into schools which teach witchcraft, etc. If you do a search on the effects of Harry Potter and the increased interest of witchcraft, you'll come up with tons of different articles and reports. Schools are usuing it as cirriculum, which is ridiculous.

That's the fault of the schools, not of the book. Now if you would say schools are using Harry Potter to teach kids reading and comprehension, then I don't see a problem with that. Rowling is a master story teller and very good writer and the Potter series taken for what they are serve to introduce younger kids to a more "grown up" form of fiction, without the glossy pages and pictures, yet with child-like concepts (spells and magic) to teach lessons on love, humility, good over evil and so on. Look, generations have survived Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice and the wicked witch with the poisoned apple. I should think Christians would have more important things to do that chase phantoms they themselves create...things like reaching the lost. This is not an attack on you, LynD. I'm in publishing in a minor way, and I encounter the "ban the book" crowd all the time, and they have become sad caricatures of themselves.

As the article mentioned, what do you do "classics" like "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe?" That is full of magic. And the average child is not going to get the Christian connection.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

How about Junie B Jones? My daughter (7) likes those, and Junie B is a one little naughty girl.

The main thing I watch for in schools more than in books is an acceptance of New Age babble, while excluding of course any legitimacy to Christianity. I have not read the Potter books so we will make a decision on those when they come up. We have read as a family the Lewis series and the kids love those, plus they are pretty intense. As far as putting the Christian connections together probably not, however it does plant the seeds of goodness, evil, sacrifice and salvation.

From what I can tell of the Potter books they don't seem horrible. I don't like the obsession with witchcraft if that does exist (isn

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

The only problem I have with Harry potter is that the hero calls on the forces of darkness to do his bidding. Oz has a good witch and a bad witch. In reality all witchcraft is bad. If these books and movies would portray these entities the way they really are it would be more edifying. :whistling: