• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  470
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Pokemon,Yu-gi-oh , Harry Potter books, Wizard of Oz

I don't understand what is wrong with them. They are only fictional. Can anyone enlighten me?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pokemon,Yu-gi-oh , Harry Potter books, Wizard of Oz

I don't understand what is wrong with them. They are only fictional. Can anyone enlighten me?

I'm not sure about Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh, but the Harry Potter series has a lot of witchcraft and that sort of thing in it. This is one of those personal choices we have to make as believers, knowing one day we will give an account to Christ Himself for how we lived our lives. Before I knew the Lord I enjoyed reading Harry Potter and enjoyed it. I knew it was fiction and all that. Now the Lord has changed me to the point that I'd rather do something else than that. I need to use my time for better things -- like spending time in Gods Word, getting involved with other believers, etc.

Hope this helps.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

As a general rule, I don't have a problem with these sorts of things. I read and enjoy Harry Potter in the same way I enjoy Star Wars. And, to be frank, anyone who has a problem with the former but not the latter is either a hypocrite or ignorant. Both refer to a power that doesn't, within the FANTASY realm they present, come from Christ. Just as in The Hobbit/LOTR, Greek mythology, etc.

It is fantasy, and as such is ripe for the reader to get what he/she will out of it.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

Thank you, rtwo....

And please, let me add this: for one, the writer of Harry Potter IS a Christian....and she deliberately wrote it and used "spells" in it that aren't real. I should know this, as I was a practicing witch before I came back to the Lord. Not many people know that. All the "spells" in the HP books are nothing more than Latin words, that's it. There is not a single thing in the HP books that can be used as actual witchcraft.

That being said, however....it is something to the individual person's taste, kinda like living under Kosher law. If you don't believe it's wrong, then it's fine for you. If it's dead wrong, then it's wrong for you. Don't you DARE try and tell someone else they are doing wrong (unless it's to persuade them to the Gospel). We are commanded---I repeat, COMMANDED---to love. Love people into the Kingdom, but don't be judging anyone.

My 10 cents....inflation, ya know....

Anita

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  470
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Thank u for your replies.

I was asking because my children like Yu-gi-oh and Harry Potter but I find myself saying if I'm visiting a Christian or vice versa to keep them hidden

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

There's nothing wrong with the books at all. But anything can become an idol. This is especially true of this age, where the world is essentially targeting our children for idolatry.

They just call it "brand recognition." :whistling:

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Books are what they are; works of fiction. That some people (Christians) preach vigorously against them says more about them than about the books. In a lot of the books you mentioned, the "witchcraft" and "spells" are plot devices used to move the story, they are not being used to teach a way of life to be sought after.

I would say, though, if somebody is unnaturally drawn to Potter or Mickey Mouse or indeed any work of fiction to the point of obsession, they need help on more than just a spiritual level.

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,940
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  233
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

I enjoy reading the Harry Potter books and having seen so many young boys start to read because of them when they normally wouldnt touch a book that they didnt HAVE to then they have done a lot of good :whistling:

As for keeping things hidden ...well I would have more of a probem with that than with the books themselves as you are teaching a child that they can do things that they shouldnt do as long as they are not "caught" :24::noidea:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/04/1971

Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh are cartoons and fantasy. HP is witchcraft, and witchcraft is real. Since those books have come out there has been a huge increase in wicca and the like. I think its one of those slippery slopes we need to be wary of.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh are cartoons and fantasy. HP is witchcraft, and witchcraft is real. Since those books have come out there has been a huge increase in wicca and the like. I think its one of those slippery slopes we need to be wary of.

No... there's been more awareness of witchcraft and wicca, not necessarily a flooding of numbers. I'd be interested to know, though if you've met or have heard of people that have turned to wicca because of Harry Potter.