IGNORED

Respecting leaders, pastors, etc.

Guest Blood-Washed

Guest amefica

Not sure what "advice" you're asking for here, Blood-Washed. It sounds like you've already drawn the line for yourself, and I think you have a healthy attitude :) .

I believe that some people think pastors are closer to God than "regular people" are, so in getting close to them, they are, in a sense trying to get closer to God. That's why they fawn over them. And to a certain degree, that makes sense. A pastor's job is to study Scripture, and if he is the shephard he is supposed to be, his relationship with God will be very close. And in our minds, that can make them seem more "holy" than we are, so we stand in a sort of awe of them. A false perception, but there nonetheless.

People ask for Charles Stanley's autograph, but nobody lines up for my pastor's signature, and the Holy Spirit speaks as much through him as He does Stanley. But my pastor doesn't write books, and he's not on TV. He doesn't have the celebrety status, so in society's mind, his signature isn't as valuable as Stanley's. I don't quite understand it either.

I don't think there is any Scripture to refute what you have said. People are people. One has no higher value than the other regardless of their occupation--be it pastor, author, singer, or plummer.

I do hope you find the answer you're searching for.

:wub:

Thanx for all the replies, it really helped a lot. I thought that I was alone on this subject, and really questioned my own integrity and even came to a point where I thought there was some sort of spirit of rebellion or something around me...Sheesh! :o

I specifically reply to Is43:4's reply, as it described more or less what I was trying to say. The same thing more or less happened in our church - happens all the time! - where the congregation goes into this frenzy of almost "worshiping" the senior pastor and it makes me really sick! He is not to be spoken to, UNLESS HE SPEAKS to you first! Nobody's allowed to see him or visit him (or likewise) unless HE CALLS YOU in to see you! Only the "leadership" of the church has any authority (INCLUDING spiritually!) and the rest of the congregation seems to be "just there" to fill the pews (or that's how I feel anyway). I was told that the pastor is an anointed man of God and chosen and I must respect him for that!

So, now that you know little more about my concern, maybe you will understand my original question more. As far as I know we as christians are ALL anointed and chosen by God?? Not just pastors and evangelists, etc. :(

There is actually so much more to my story, but I cannot go into it more than I already have, otherwise people may get hurt and I get in trouble.

And for those who will reply that I must find another church.... I am going to, so please will you pray for me for clear direction from God in this respect.

Shalom

:P:):)

Hey bloodwashed. there is a big difference between respecting and acknowledging the calling on pastors lives and worshiping them. And yes we are all annointed and share the same Spirit.

Having read your new information, for real, i feel you have issues in your church right now and thats where this question came out from. If you are looking for a new church, just make sure you leave in a peaceful way. the word says ' as far as it possible for you try to leave at peace with all men'. God has even promised to give us peace with our enemies. It would even be better if you asked the Lord to help you sort out your issues before you move. This is because if you don't you might move with the same baggages to the next church. Believe me i have seen it happen!

Amefica.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Blood-Washed
Hey bloodwashed. there is a big difference between respecting and acknowledging the calling on pastors lives and worshiping them. And yes we are all annointed and share the same Spirit.

Having read your new information, for real, i feel you have issues in your church right now and thats where this question came out from. If you are looking for a new church, just make sure you leave in a peaceful way. the word says ' as far as it possible for you try to leave at peace with all men'. God has even promised to give us peace with our enemies. It would even be better if you asked the Lord to help you sort out your issues before you move. This is because if you don't you might move with the same baggages to the next church. Believe me i have seen it happen!

Amefica.

I will do so Amefica and thank you. This entire thing has been left at the foot of the cross and God has been working in me for quite some time now. It just makes me very sad to see how the focus of the church is soooo much on "man, gifts, blessings, and demanding" instead of God, the Giver, the Blessor and seeking His will.

My heart is not bitter but compassionate about this entire situation.

Shalom

:)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Do we have to have respect for our leaders/pastors for "who" they are?

I respect people and know that leaders have a tremendous responsibility on them, but where do we draw the line between "respecting" leaders and "placing them on pedestals" like they're better than other people just because they carry a certain title.

If I sound rebellious, please, I am not meaning to. Sometimes people tend to go in a frenzy when they see their pastor, or talk to them, or when they meet an "important" christian leader, and it's almost sickening to see how they nearly fall to their knees for this person. And this saddens me, because I would much rather make a fuss over a drunk off the street who found Jesus, than a pastor with a fancy car, smart house and brand name clothing....

Please give me some advice here, and if you have scripture to prove me wrong, then I will humbly accept it.

Blessings

:emot-hug:

Respect does not mean getting all excited when you see your pastor or some other Christian leader. Excitement doesn't have anything to do with it, IMO

I have had some pastors where I respected their position more than them personally, and two where I respected them more than I've ever respected anyone else in my life due to who they were personally AND what their positions were. They were tremendous men of God and you could see it in their eyes and you just knew that when they felt they had something to say to you it was important.

There is a difference between idolisation of a person and respect. Alot of what you are describing is a miniature celeb reaction and not true respect. The role of a pastor is a teacher and a leader, and those are people for which you would have respect, provided of course they executed their office according to scriptural guidelines. I'd love to meet RC Sproul or some of the other important christian leaders I know of. I'd buy them a coke or coffee or whatever, but I guess I'm just jaded cause I don't think I'd be on the phone later going "You'll never beeeee-leeeive who I saw at McDonald's today." Shrugs.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  07/25/1982

I have to say, I really enjoyed reading this thread...And I agree with alot of what is said. For instance, My pastor means the world to me. He and his wife are also my spiritual parents. I get ALOT of correction from them at times...but I don't place them on a stool. I have seen them both at their worse times as well as seen them admit when they have been wrong. They mean the world to me and I have a lot of respect for them. But more than anything, I see God's love in them. I see His whole nature shining through them. And they are the most humble people i have ever met.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

1 Timothy 5:17

Let the elders who rule well be counted worthy of double honor , especially those who labor in the word and doctrine.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  114
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  08/06/1961

Hi to All,

May I say that to a certain extent I hear and see what everyone is saying and do not disagree with what has been said, but please remember above all things a True Man/Woman of God that is not an hireling is Worthy of Double Honor (not worship, only God deserves that) that includes stuff like Respect and Consideration, Care and Obedience.

Obedience is something we all like to receive but sometimes hate to give.

They that do the work of a Minister that is that cares for our soul, a Watchman rightly dividing the Word of God are worthy

to be prefered to be regarded in high esteem.

A True Minister is due this and They will not desire it either.

Let me say before I go on any further I am not implying anyone is doing this but so often you hear of it happening.

We should not gossip nor backbite against them no matter how much we disagree with them.

If we have problems and we all do at times, no Pastor is perfect save One, We should, we must lift them up, pray for them instead of putting them down and dragging them through the mud.

If a Pastor is really doing the work, then they are praying and seeking God for you, for your family, your children that they would not be lost and that God moves on your behalf.

Their members welfare and the Church are their concern!

If they are Real and True Men and Women of God then any esteem any preference, outside of worship and exaltation and glorifying and Real True Pastor desires none of this is very appropiate.

I don't have a problem with it, my Pastor deserves it and yes he wants nothing of it but for the respect of the Call that is placed on his life.

Again I am not saying anyone is doing that who has replied, Please do not take this as I am do so!

Dug

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Remember your leaders who have spoken God's word to you. As you carefully observe the outcome of their lives, imitate their faith. Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account, so that they can do this with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.

Hebrews 13:7,17 HCSB

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
Philippians 2:3

Guest lovinghim4ever

Yes, we should respect the position of our leaders,

but the higher we put our leaders on a pedestal

the further and harder they have to fall.

It's not fair to them or to ourselves.

That's not to say they are evil or anything like that.

That is to say they are human, and will make mistakes.

The higher we place them on a pedestal the harder they will fall,

and the harder our disappointment will be when they do fall.

Yes, the position of our leaders should always be respected, but as has already been said,

"There is a difference between idolization of a person and respect."

Yet, even if a leader falls, respect should still be given to that position.

But, for me, continued respect for that person would depend on how they handle their fall.

If they handle it with responsibility, instruction and truth; okay.

I can respect that, forgive and move on. :noidea:

If they handle it with arrogance, deceit and pride; not so sure.

I can forgive but some respect would be lost. :o

:noidea::73_73::24:

• 2 years later...

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

I understand what you are saying. Yes there is a difference between respect and placing on a pedestal. Unfortunately this is a problem in many churches and businesses. I tend to see it as respect is showing someone courtesy and using good manners, while placing someone on a pedestal, is an open show of admiration, real or not, but often done so to look important to the person they place on the pedestal, or to gain status or favoritism.

this is true.....

the Pastor is no different then any other man, that is if he is following what God has for him..... some are there and God did not call them to do that, God may have called them to be a business owner so that they could support another man to spread the Word of God, yet if they try to do the preaching, they have stepped out of their gift and the one that God did call to preach is having to find other means of support....

if I am to be a prayer warrior, and I am ordained, that does not mean I am to go preaching, yet, that does not mean i am not to spread the Word of God, but not as a pastor....

I may have a gift of song, but may not be who God wanted for the choir director, that may be some one else that really does not have a voice, but can lead.....

we have to know what God has given us, and yet, not place the person on a pedistal, and not be envious of another that is placed in that position....

our leaders are due a double blessing from us......

a workman is worthy of their hire......

I have to honestly say, any message I have given, I have never been paid for, that is not the issue.... when we have done outreaches for the children, we have received a grand total of .25 ( 25 cents, 1 quarter) from a 4 year old girl that came up to Teresa and said I have something for you, she handed her the quarter then asked, will this help?

that outreach was totally out of pocket and over two hours from the house..... we were blessed beyond measure for that.....

Yes, we are to honor our leaders, God has set them before us, as He did Moses before Israel....

I have become dear friends with my pastors, personal support to them, even to give them a break, such as ensuring the class rooms or sanctuary is clean before or after services, policing the church grounds, checking the bathroons to ensure some one did not leave a surprise, checking the lights in vacant rooms after service. going with the Pastor on hospital visits ( a lot of pastors no longer do hospital visits, there are a couple LARGE churches in this area, that the pastor never does a home or hospital visit NONE....... being they do not some one else has to......

no, we are not to chase after a man, we are to honor their position, honor them as God has directed us.... John Bevere has a 4 hour lesson on this, called UNDER COVER....

excellent study....

mike