Natt

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  470
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I was watching the musical 'Oliver'. There is a scene where Nancy is singing about Bill Sykes where she says they live together because they can't afford to get married. All the commitment is expressed though.

Does a biblical marriage have to have a legal certificate? OR can a couple make a commitment to each other in front of God and friends? I cannot remember reading that there was a certificate in the OT.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

TY

That did not work. But thank you for the idea. Is there some way to contact a MOD?

The certificate falls under following the laws that governemnt has put in place in our lives which we are to follow and respect as long as it doesn't ask us to turn agains God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  829
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/26/1943

I was watching the musical 'Oliver'. There is a scene where Nancy is singing about Bill Sykes where she says they live together because they can't afford to get married. All the commitment is expressed though.

Does a biblical marriage have to have a legal certificate? OR can a couple make a commitment to each other in front of God and friends? I cannot remember reading that there was a certificate in the OT.

Every culture has it's laws on how to publically recognize a marriage. As Christians we need to respect the cultures we live in so that we do not offend either man or God.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Shalom,

But didn't her "husband" Bill Sykes end up murdering her? That doesn't sound like a good example of a Biblical marriage! :noidea:

The Bible tells us to obey and submit to those "governing authorities" over us for G-d put them in place.

This includes the laws of each state.

If someone TRULY had a commitment to be married, why wouldn't they GET married?

Living together is not the same as a legally recognized marriage, even in some states where "common-law marriage" is recognized. We are to do things G-d's way, not our way.

Romans 13

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. 3For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, 4for he is God

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Every culture has it's laws on how to publically recognize a marriage. As Christians we need to respect the cultures we live in so that we do not offend either man or God.

:noidea::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Well I see the point and yes we need to follow the laws of the land.

However, the real point and need for a marriage license is that it legally binds you together. Part of marriage is being one, and part of being one is a joining and combining of assets.

Lets face it, it is one thing to stand up and say I love this person in front of some friends, quite another to say I also legally give this person half of all my assets and half of all my future income and if I try to try to break this contract in the future I will have to go through a legal divorce and legally divide up those things. The legal binding also has many many benefits, things like inheritance, health care, social security survivorship, future children and their rights etc,

The fact is a marriage license and civil ceremony are not at all expensive and take only a short amount of time in my town it would take less than 20 minutes. So if someone is unwilling to do that with all of these benefits, one must wonder why? Of course we all know the real answer.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  829
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/26/1943

Well I see the point and yes we need to follow the laws of the land.

However, the real point and need for a marriage license is that it legally binds you together. Part of marriage is being one, and part of being one is a joining and combining of assets.

Lets face it, it is one thing to stand up and say I love this person in front of some friends, quite another to say I also legally give this person half of all my assets and half of all my future income and if I try to try to break this contract in the future I will have to go through a legal divorce and legally divide up those things. The legal binding also has many many benefits, things like inheritance, health care, social security survivorship, future children and their rights etc,

The fact is a marriage license and civil ceremony are not at all expensive and take only a short amount of time in my town it would take less than 20 minutes. So if someone is unwilling to do that with all of these benefits, one must wonder why? Of course we all know the real answer.

Well said. :rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  02/17/1961

No it doesn't require a government certificate. There is no scripture that anyone can show where two people got married in front of a preacher with a license that says they can be married.

In fact the only thing close to a ceremony was in ruth where she lay at his feet that night and the next day boaz went and handled the property of her dead husband. Legally her husbands brother was supposed to marry her but he couldn't fulfil that obligation so boaz had to go before the elders in order to transfer her property.

No ceremony, certificate, license, or preacher was present, they made a comittment that night with each other.

The only other thing i can think of is where God said two shall become one when he was referring to Adam and Eve. that is in reference to laying together as well as a comittement for their life.

all a Government certificate is for is to make it easier for division of property and assets.

Basically if you sleep with each other your married as that is consummation of a comittment with each other.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

No it doesn't require a government certificate. There is no scripture that anyone can show where two people got married in front of a preacher with a license that says they can be married.

Shalom,

Here we go again!

Yes, we are to obey the laws of the land. Please scroll up and read the verses.

If we are rebellious and refuse to obey the laws of the land concerning marriage, we are out of G-d's will.

In fact the only thing close to a ceremony was in ruth where she lay at his feet that night and the next day boaz went and handled the property of her dead husband. Legally her husbands brother was supposed to marry her but he couldn't fulfil that obligation so boaz had to go before the elders in order to transfer her property.

They followed the rules of their time, as we must do today.

No ceremony, certificate, license, or preacher was present, they made a comittment that night with each other.

Conext, context, context! The laws then are not the laws of today. Apples and oranges.

The only other thing i can think of is where God said two shall become one when he was referring to Adam and Eve. that is in reference to laying together as well as a comittement for their life.

all a Government certificate is for is to make it easier for division of property and assets.

Nope, it means you are LEGALLY married and recognized as married for your children and also in the church and before G-d. Rebelling against G-d's design is never a good move.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  02/17/1961

Nope, it means you are LEGALLY married and recognized as married for your children and also in the church and before G-d. Rebelling against G-d's design is never a good move.

What has the church got to do with marraige??

Common law marraige is still valid! you don't need a church, preacher, or courthouse to be married. just you, your mate and God is all that is needed to make a marraige.