• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/24/1975

I'd tread carefully. If exorcising demons from a Christian standpoint really worked, we wouldn't have mental illness today. :thumbsup:

But has exorcism (or the casting out of demons in Jesus Christ's name) been given a real chance? Unfortunately, secular professionals shun or frown upon religious works of this nature, perhaps because if it does work it will prove the existence of demons, satan and God in one shot, and put them out of work. In fact it would open up a can of worms. If it didn't work, then it would just prove that mental illness is indeed just physical.

And if exorcism really worked, this doesn't mean we wouldn't have mental illness today - satan and his demons haven't been tossed away yet.

Edited by Wonderboy

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Pizzaguy,

Sorry but I can't respond on this at the moment - gotsta go!

The most I can say then, is to search this in the bible and see what it says about the origins of sickness/illness in general - now that I think about it it could also be related to sin.

See ya

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

This Article pertains to this discussion, and should be read by anybody wanting to debate this issue

This article is also in discussion under spiritual warfare news

It deserves a look.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

This Article pertains to this discussion, and should be read by anybody wanting to debate this issue

This article is also in discussion under spiritual warfare news

It deserves a look.

His lawyers would later argue the boy had been a victim of "involuntary intoxication," since Pittman's doctors had him taking the antidepressants Paxil and Zoloft just prior to the murders.

BINGO!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  613
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  04/02/1959

I'm in total agreement with You Fth8, I am lead to share some awesome words by Francis Frangipane......

Created in the image of God, man was given limited, yet distinct, inherent powers.. He was granted the power to imagine, as well as the faculty to define and then establish reality. And operating within bounderies preset by God, man does this, for better or worse, accounding to the free selection of his will. As we understand this, we se that the esssence of spiritual warfare is in who shall define reality...... The Word of God or the illusions of this present age..............

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Through the years I have cast out demons and dealt with those oppressed and tormented by evil spirits. What I eventually came to realize is that most people have their lives wide open to torment. Until those doors of choice are closed then casting out demons can actually be a foolish thing since they will, according to Jesus himself, come back seven times worse if the person is not filled with Christ and living for Christ. Although I am glad to be a part of seeing demonic forces defeated I will no longer have anything to do with deliverance unless I know for a fact that the person involved is making true effort to live for Christ.

As for the mentally ill it is wisdom to have the leadership of the Spirit of God with no doubt whatsoever. Also the person must have continual fellowship with the Lord and discernment of spirits, anointing and understanding. It is the Holy Spirit who does the work. Therefore a humble attitude of waiting on God is needful.

So much is involved in the spiritual realm. Wisdom counts for a great deal. Zeal without anointing and wisdom and fellowship with God can lead to painful experiences that are not easily laid aside since people are involved. Souls are precious. It is wise to realize that each soul is worth the world to God. Therefore we need indeed to tread carefully.

However, once assurance and leadership and anointing is given there is a great deal that can be conquered through the deliverance from evil spirits.

F8th - hi

Thanks for that article, it supports the way I see mental illness. Part of the problem today is that when one mentions demonic possession the thought most people imagine (as the article states) is the movie "The Exorcist". Most people don't realize that demonic possession doesn't necessarily mean that people become like wild beasts, perhaps this is where further deception (on behalf of the demon) comes into play. People or doctors may think, "Ah well, he's crazy... but not that crazy, definitely not possessed by a demon, how absurd!"

I say, "What if?".

Surely even some skeptics must agree that we aren't only physical but also spiritual beings. The mind itself is not physical therefore... a spiritual consciousness? And if so, is open to abuse, control and manipulation from other 'sources' - without protection, the Holy Spirit.

Pity God is left out of most sciences including medical and psychological science. I believe that if He wasn't left out then people would read His Word more and there'd be more understanding as to what is really going on here, even in the physical.

People who rule out God surely rule out satan - how perfect and convenient for satan, a world set-up for temptation, deception and lies. What's worse is that they won't even know it, it'll be "chemical imbalances" or similar.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

I have thought and prayed about whether I should jump into this thread or not. No, I do not have a mental illness, but have friends who do, I've also worked for years in the disability field - I'd like to ask some questions so that I can maybe better understand where ya'll are coming from:

First, to have demonic bondage, does the person have to have opened themself up for it - to allow the demon in? I guess what I'm asking, really is - to assume a person's mental illness is really demonic bondage, are you saying that the person had something they could have done (prayer, etc.) to prevent the demon - and that at some point, choice was involved.

Second, do you also feel that other illnesses can be demonic - such as cancer, MS, etc.?

Some have stated that the mind is not a physical organ. But, to me, the brain is. How can an illness be demonic possession when it can also be assisted/corrected by regulating or adjusting the enzymes or body chemicals that flow through the brain?

And last, what about children? I've seen serious mental illness in children as young as 2 or 3. And often in kids ages 6 - 8. And how would autism spectrum disorders fall in this theory? Autism, being not defined as a mental illness, but definately has a behavioral component?

• Topic Count:  140
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,846
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  01/05/1987

I don't think there is demonic involvement in every single form of mental illness. Some afflictions are just natural...

I have thought and prayed about whether I should jump into this thread or not. No, I do not have a mental illness, but have friends who do, I've also worked for years in the disability field - I'd like to ask some questions so that I can maybe better understand where ya'll are coming from:

First, to have demonic bondage, does the person have to have opened themself up for it - to allow the demon in? I guess what I'm asking, really is - to assume a person's mental illness is really demonic bondage, are you saying that the person had something they could have done (prayer, etc.) to prevent the demon - and that at some point, choice was involved.

Second, do you also feel that other illnesses can be demonic - such as cancer, MS, etc.?

Some have stated that the mind is not a physical organ. But, to me, the brain is. How can an illness be demonic possession when it can also be assisted/corrected by regulating or adjusting the enzymes or body chemicals that flow through the brain?

And last, what about children? I've seen serious mental illness in children as young as 2 or 3. And often in kids ages 6 - 8. And how would autism spectrum disorders fall in this theory? Autism, being not defined as a mental illness, but definately has a behavioral component?

Thanks Redefine Me, you've come up with some good points here that need to be addressed.

I would have to agree with you that at some point the demon would have had to have been 'allowed' in, possibly without the individual even being aware at that time they were inviting a demon in, eg: A regular non-believer goes to a psychic for a tarot card reading unaware of the dangers, or someone listening to death metal may open themselves up to all sorts. I would imagine that anyone who has had seemingly innocent brushes with the occult may open themselves up to demons for example kids playing glassy-glassy or with the ouija board. I also believe that symptoms of the bondage may only show a few years later.

I also have a theory that could be totally wrong but nevertheless (and might help solve the young children cases), here I go: The bible mentions something that I call generational sin:

"Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear [the guilty]; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth [generation]." (Exd. 34:7)

What if demonic possession followed in the same manner? Just a theory. One would have to search the Scriptures here.

I don't believe cancer or such diseases are demonic possession. These are probably more related to sin.

Good point on the brain chemicals comment.

Unfortunately I have to go now. I would love to help finish this discussion tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Bye for now