• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/03/1951

What in your Biblical understanding is the best way to teach or preach to a congregation, God's Word? And why do you think so?

Edited by Ovedya

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Caps-lock, off.

Each member speaking forth God is the best means of building up the Body of Christ, according to 1 Cor. 14.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  829
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/26/1943

Caps-lock, off.

Each member speaking forth God is the best means of building up the Body of Christ, according to 1 Cor. 14.

Exactly. EACH member should come to an assembly of any sort prepared to share God in some way. Some have a message, a dream, a vision, a revelation, a teaching, a song of worship. a prayer. God means to equip ALL His saints to do the works of Christ and to mature us ALL into the fullness of the man Christ Jesus. The body would mature more easily if we all learned the humility of respecting Christ in each individual and learned to make room for each persons gift to function. The gifts are not to elevate the person with the gift but to raise up each other into a closer walk with the Lord. If a person has no gifts to function in the body how can we say they are part of the body. And if we don't allow a person to participate in the ministries of the body, how can we say we are ministering to the body.

What in your Biblical understanding is the best way to teach or preach to a congregation, God's Word? And why do you think so?

As God leads. Too much of "that's the way we always do it" and the ability to hear God's directions is lost. God is creative. He taught with five loaves that fed the multitude. We may not be able to use that one. :noidea: But God is able to inspire teachers and preachers to teach with many different methods.

Caps-lock, off.

I agree that God(the Holy Spirit) inabels us to edify one another with our different spiritual gifts, so we can grow together.

Are you saying their should be no pulpit, teaching preaching today?If not then should it be topical or expository?

Caps-lock, off.

I agree that God(the Holy Spirit) inabels us to edify one another with our different spiritual gifts, so we can grow together.

Are you saying their should be no pulpit, teaching preaching today?If not then should it be topical or expository?

Aahh so you only want that distinction? I would say both, either or, as God leads. I prefer expository and think it is the best method of getting the real meanings of Scriptures into peoples minds. IMO it is important that Christians learn to read Scripture in the forms it was written, epistles, history, etc. instead of a mystic book where any piece you happenstancely pick can keep it's meaning when you remove it. However, from time to time a topical study is good for teaching basic points of truths: baptism, evangelism, ministry, praise/worship, healing prayers, how to study Scriptures, etc. etc. etc.

It is unfortunate today that most Christians think the only or primary point of "church" is to hear the pastors message. We've lost the community concept. Yes, the shepard, evangelist, missionary, teacher who is the primary or one of the primary leaders in the church should have something meaningful to share, but that is not the only purpose of church.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Hello Eddie,

I think that expository teaching and preaching is the best way. I am not against topical teaching as certain topics certainly need to be taught and preached upon as layed forth in the word.

I am reminded of the scriptures in

Luke 24:13-35--(vs 27) "And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, "he expounded" unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself." (vs 31) "And their eyes were opened and they knew him, and he vanished out of their sight." (vs 32) "And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way and "while he opened to us the scriptures?"

I think every believer has certain gifts and talents given to them by God but you asked about teaching and preaching God's word. I believe that a minister or a teacher should study to show themselves approved. I have learned over the years that a teacher or minister who has no substance in his sermons or lesson is not approved of God as the scriptures says they will give you anything but the gospel when you listen. For example I heard a preacher who came up with a sermon and he called it 7 points to something well I listen when someone is preaching or teaching and take notes and I had my pen all ready to write down them 7 points and he only gave 3 and they didn't even go with his message that I was yet to figure out what it was that to me is a minister that is not approved of God as said in Timothy.

It tells us in

1 Peter 4:11--"If any man speak, "let him speak as the oracles of God; If any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen."

There you have we are to teach and preach according to the oracles or laws of God plainly meaning according to the gospel as written down line upon line precept upon precept. And we are to do so according to the ability in which God has so gifted us with so God can be glorified within us as not all of us are at the same level or have the same gifting so we must minister according to the ability God has given us in this area.

OC

Hello Eddie,

I think that expository teaching and preaching is the best way. I am not against topical teaching as certain topics certainly need to be taught and preached upon as layed forth in the word.

I am reminded of the scriptures in

Luke 24:13-35--(vs 27) "And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, "he expounded" unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself." (vs 31) "And their eyes were opened and they knew him, and he vanished out of their sight." (vs 32) "And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way and "while he opened to us the scriptures?"

I think every believer has certain gifts and talents given to them by God but you asked about teaching and preaching God's word. I believe that a minister or a teacher should study to show themselves approved. I have learned over the years that a teacher or minister who has no substance in his sermons or lesson is not approved of God as the scriptures says they will give you anything but the gospel when you listen. For example I heard a preacher who came up with a sermon and he called it 7 points to something well I listen when someone is preaching or teaching and take notes and I had my pen all ready to write down them 7 points and he only gave 3 and they didn't even go with his message that I was yet to figure out what it was that to me is a minister that is not approved of God as said in Timothy.

It tells us in

1 Peter 4:11--"If any man speak, "let him speak as the oracles of God; If any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen."

There you have we are to teach and preach according to the oracles or laws of God plainly meaning according to the gospel as written down line upon line precept upon precept. And we are to do so according to the ability in which God has so gifted us with so God can be glorified within us as not all of us are at the same level or have the same gifting so we must minister according to the ability God has given us in this area.

OC

Thanks, its good to hear from other Christians that are like minded. :thumbsup:

I also have over the years have heard preachers preach such nonesense, and it blows me away to think how they can get away with such preaching.But then when I was a new Christian I can see how that can happen.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Both are needed.

Expository so that nothing is missed or overlooked.

Topical to address needs as they arise.

In all cases it must be THE GOSPEL, though much of the church is ignorant (IMO) about what the Gospel essentially is.

LT

• Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

Both topical and expository, both special speakers sessions and group sharing ministries.

I know that this will sound strange, but I also think that false teachers and false preachers are necessary, to show who is approved. The early church dealt with them, and we are also going to have to deal with them.