IGNORED

Can we be punished for the Sins of our Parents?

MeCajunboy

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

I know I'm a little late to this discussion, but I just wanted to add my thoughts.....

So far, the general consensus seems to be that God does not punish sons for the sins of the father. I just have one question. What about David's first child to Bathsheba? After David had killed Uriah (well, sent him off to die), seduced Bathsheba, God brought punishment down on David by saying that his son would suffer and die.

Nathan replied, "The LORD has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. But because by doing this you have made the enemies of the LORD show utter contempt, the son born to you will die."

After Nathan had gone home, the LORD struck the child that Uriah's wife had borne to David, and he became ill. David pleaded with God for the child. He fasted and went into his house and spent the nights lying on the ground. The elders of his household stood beside him to get him up from the ground, but he refused, and he would not eat any food with them.

On the seventh day the child died. - 2 Samuel 12:13-18

Thoughts?

Great question PA,

And I'm guessing that this story can be found in the OLD Testament. The general concensus is that my topic I proposed has since been discontinued by God since the conception and death of HIS son Jesus. I think my main concern for proposing this as was the same question as some of our fellow Christians here was that some of us felt as they "we" personally have taken on the "SINS" of our fore-fathers/fathers which led us to God to relinquish these sins. Personally speaking, I can validate one great sin/cross that I had to put to an end in my early life. One that you and I have had serious conversations on. That's why I'm so familiar with you thoughts on it.

Blessings and Prayers

Cajunboy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  203
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Links to articles that relate to this topic:

http://hbcdelivers.s439.sureserver.com/curses-from-the-past

(Curses From The Past)

http://hbcdelivers.s439.sureserver.com/a-m...-of-the-fathers

(A Man Discovers Sins Of The Fathers)

Links to articles that relate to this topic:

http://hbcdelivers.s439.sureserver.com/curses-from-the-past

(Curses From The Past)

http://hbcdelivers.s439.sureserver.com/a-m...-of-the-fathers

(A Man Discovers Sins Of The Fathers)

Thanks eve, At first I was inclined to go with one of my rebutters, who argued that we were speaking of only in OT times, but you have showed us through the eyes of a pastor and his efforts to locate NT scriptures that substantuate what I felt I was burdened with at an early age "acquired from my fore-fathers.

many thanks and blessings

cajunboy

Hi again CJB, Sorry I never got back to you, i became engrossed in other threads. Still to answer, and this is only my own viewpoint,

I probably should have asked opinions on, "Can I inherit the sins of my father? The term "punish" comes with the territory since I believe I "HAD" inherited sins from my fore-fathers; as they can be substantiated and I believe it to be a punishment through hereditary, and had to be stopped by me ......finally!

Because man is born with a sin nature, we are bound to be born with the same nature as our forbears, but not as you say as a punishment. Because of the work of the cross, God has given us a choice to either accept the offer salvation and forgiveness or deny it. And no I don't believe it was stopped by you, yourself, but by the conviction of the H/S, quickening the fact to you that you are in need of a savour..... who doesn't break the cycle of your inherited sin nature.... but it allows you and you alone to repent of your sin and be reconcilled back to the father and to be a recipient of His glorious promise of eterntal life with Him. Your offspring will be born with the same sin nature as you had, and in time will be faced with same choice as you.

Punishment is only administered to those deny Jesus as saviour unto death.

I understand and agree with your rethoughts eric, but can you see where I felt that it was a "punishment" brought on by my fore-fathers? I'm asking you then, what else could it be but a punishment if it were carried through genetically? Sure God would not pass this down the genetic line! Possibly it could come from satan and his evil. In either case, the burden of the sin felt like a Punishment I inherited from ancestors before me. But I do appreciate you taking the time to evaluate the weight of the situation, as it was not a light one!

Blessings

Cajunboy

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Hi Cajun, In answer to this question, and this is only my own opinion,

I'm asking you then, what else could it be but a punishment if it were carried through genetically? Sure God would not pass this down the genetic line!

I wouldn't call it a punisment, but a conseqence of adam messing up and allowing sin to dominate man's life. Punishment for sins, stopped at the cross for those who took advantage of the forgiveness through the work of the cross. The drunkeness of my grandfather, which was passed on to me can hardly be called punishment from God, because, through His Son was I was given the opportunity,avoid His punishment.

Rom 6:23.For the wages of sin is death (punishment) but the free gift of God, Is eternal life in Christ Jesus.

Guest Rapturebound

One can not be responsible for anothers short comings. But there is such a thing as a generational curse that can pass through a family, generation to generation. It can be anything, sickness, disease, poverty, early death, etc. If you have something that seems to be passed down through the generations of your family its a good chance that it is a generational curse. The good news is knowing who you are in Christ, you have the power to break that curse over your family and end its course. Fear is usually a culperate with generational curses, that and the whole family seems to indorse it. "All my brothers died of cancer" "Cancer runs in the family" and so on. Jesus redeemed us from the curse and delivered us all who were all their lifetime subject to bondage because of the fear of death. All fear is based on death. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear NO evil. You need to go before God and repent of any fear and break what ever curse seems to follow your family. Change your vocabulary, the way you talk. Positive confessions. God said I set before you life and death, blessing and cursing, therefore choose life. He also tells us that life and death are in the power of the tongue. Life and death are in the things you say.

(Galatians 3:13) Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, being made a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed is everyone having been hanged on a tree");

(Hebrews 2:14,15) Since then the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He also Himself likewise partook of the same; that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death (that is, the Devil), (15) and deliver those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Cajunboy. You are not listening,

Topic/ Can we be punished for the sins of our parents? Guess I should have added (punished by repeating their sin or sins similar to them; as in sexual sins) I didn't have enough room in the "topic space provided" but I did add in my comments upon first writing my question/comments. Did you get a chance to read it eric?

I have read most of your posts as has everyone else.Watch my fingers. After you have been saved, God does not punish you for any of your sins or your ancestor's sins. if you are genuine in your committment to Him, and you sin you will only punish yourself for your transgression by your conscience, if you don't repent as soon as possible.....like straight away. if you deliberatley step outside God's circle of love and protection, you are in enemy territory and you deserve what you get, but it wont be from God. If you are stupid enough to grapple with the devil and get injured, it's your own fault for being disobedient..............and I've got emotional scars to prove it.

These are words of wisdom, Eric I completely agree with you that after we become saved we are a NEW CREATION and the curse is broken.

But if we sin after that and don't repent we will carry the concequences for it and that could be a early grave because we made a mockery out of Jesus by our bad exemple to live for Him.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Absolutely and family curses are the real problems often times behind things like mental illness and drug abuse.

But the good news is they can be broken by a lot of prayer and godly living.

Topic/ Can we be punished for the sins of our parents? Guess I should have added (punished by repeating their sin or sins similar to them; as in sexual sins) I didn't have enough room in the "topic space provided" but I did add in my comments upon first writing my question/comments. Did you get a chance to read it eric?

I have read most of your posts as has everyone else.Watch my fingers. After you have been saved, God does not punish you for any of your sins or your ancestor's sins. if you are genuine in your committment to Him, and you sin you will only punish yourself for your transgression by your conscience, if you don't repent as soon as possible.....like straight away. if you deliberatley step outside God's circle of love and protection, you are in enemy territory and you deserve what you get, but it wont be from God. If you are stupid enough to grapple with the devil and get injured, it's your own fault for being disobedient..............and I've got emotional scars to prove it.

These are words of wisdom, Eric I completely agree with you that after we become saved we are a NEW CREATION and the curse is broken.

But if we sin after that and don't repent we will carry the concequences for it and that could be a early grave because we made a mockery out of Jesus by our bad exemple to live for Him.

Exactly, so are you also saying that "before" you become a NEW CREAION , the curse is not broken? And until you come to repentance with God, you CAN obtain the "sins of our fathers?

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Exactly, so are you also saying that "before" you become a NEW CREAION , the curse is not broken? And until you come to repentance with God, you CAN obtain the "sins of our fathers?

You're on to it brother,If you could trace your ancestry back far enough you would be bound to find some very nasty skeletons in the cupboard, but we must'nt forget some of the good qualities we inherit from our forbears, and how many talented and gifted people never stop, and give thanks, to our Father for His blessing. Quick to blame their faults on to God and/or their birth line for their inadequacies, but slow to praise God for their talents.

have a good day my friend