• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/17/1975

Always wanted to ask this , but dint know where to ask.

What is the relation between theology and philosophy?

What has Plato and Aristotle got to do with Christian doctrines?

How did they influence Christianity? Positively or negatively?

While Im aware that both Plato and Aristotle belonged to the pre-patriarchical period, but their thoughts and influence did have an influence on the early church...what was it?

Some answers please...May God Bless you all :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  09/20/1947

Interesting subject although far too complex to go into in detail here. A Theologian by name Paul Tillich discusses this very same topic in one of his books called A History of Christian Thought (I think), which I suggest you read. I am not a great fan of Tillich but he covers your question succinctly and, in my opinion, quite nicely. :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I don't know about then, but it appears to me that much of the human philosophy is worming it's way into the pulpit, and wreaking much havoc within today's church. So, I would assume that mankind has not changed, and thus the blending of human philosophy with the Truth of God's Word, has always been negative.

Colossians 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

(I know that's probably not what you were looking for, but felt lead to share it anyway. :noidea: )

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,447
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

Interesting subject although far too complex to go into in detail here. A Theologian by name Paul Tillich discusses this very same topic in one of his books called A History of Christian Thought (I think), which I suggest you read. I am not a great fan of Tillich but he covers your question succinctly and, in my opinion, quite nicely. :noidea:

Like most things on here it is way too complex to briefly discuss. It is a shame however that too many Christians shy away from anything intellectual such as philosophy. Of course when Christians are not involved with any particular area including music and the arts which is largely the case today, unbelievers gladly fill the void. That is why when we think of philosophy and the arts today we think of unbelief and the ungodly. We have turned these areas over to the atheists. It has not always been that way. This new age monastic movement where Christians hide in their church, listen only to "Christian" music, only see their "Christian" dentist or banker and refuse to engage the world is not a good thing. Many evangelicals would be aghast if someone asked them to go to a tavern, have a beer or two and discuss the Bible. Apart from that editorial, RC Sproul has done an interesting series on the relationship between philosophy and Christianity.

sw

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

It is in the area of epistimology that Theology proper, and philosophy begin to inform one another (or perhaps to bump uncomfortably into one another!); for Theology represents NOT a way of knowing, but rather a body of knowledge within a Book--the Bible--which may be mastered.

However, the earliest Christian thinkers soon began asking themselves how we know. Since Hellenistic culture held sway throughout the entire Mediterranean Basin, it was only natural that these thinkers should look to their Greek catagories for understanding.

"Only natural" I say, but still harmful in many ways. For the Bible is NOT a Western book, but Oriental. And when we begin viewing the Eastern book through Western filters, we can arrive at some rather bizarre conclusions, never intended by the original authors. When thinkers like Augustine, Aquinas, and others 'baptized' Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle, damaging havoc was wrought upon the Western Church, from which we still have not recovered.

At the same time, we ought to note that NONE OF THIS TOOK GOD BY SURPRISE. He has His reasons for Greek thought as well.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  829
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/26/1943

Since the general meaning of philosophy is a systematic approach to understanding truths, theology can be viewed as the philosophy of Christian Truths. Different branches of philosophy are always "the philosophy of suchandsuch". As long as Christians don't bring secular brances of philosophy into our understanding of Scripture, there is nothing wrong with philosophizing about Scripture.

We need to be careful that we don't get into phobias about words without actually understanding their foundations.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Since the general meaning of philosophy is a systematic approach to understanding truths, theology can be viewed as the philosophy of Christian Truths. Different branches of philosophy are always "the philosophy of suchandsuch". As long as Christians don't bring secular brances of philosophy into our understanding of Scripture, there is nothing wrong with philosophizing about Scripture.

We need to be careful that we don't get into phobias about words without actually understanding their foundations.

Thats correct. We frequently talk about a philosophy of ministry. The word philospophy is not a "bad" word

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  829
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/26/1943

Hey Erich, your dogs are comically adorable and charming. :emot-giggle:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

What is the relation between theology and philosophy?

By definition, theology is the "study of God" and philosophy is "loving knowledge/wisdom/learning".

What has Plato and Aristotle got to do with Christian doctrines?

The only Biblical authors to have been exposed to Greek philosophers were Paul and most likely Luke. Whether or not they were influence by these Greek philosophers or only utilized applicable principles from their teachings as a means to communicate with their Greek audience is open to debate.

How did they influence Christianity? Positively or negatively?

See above.

While Im aware that both Plato and Aristotle belonged to the pre-patriarchical period, but their thoughts and influence did have an influence on the early church...what was it?

The early church did have conflict with a Greek philosophy called Gnostacism. In fact, the books of Colossians and 1 John presented truths that were direct counters to the Gnostacistic philosophy (i.e. emphasis of Jesus having come in the flesh).