• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

Shalom Patricia,

Our children attend Totally Christian Karate. It is based on Bible verses, memorization and you advance by learning the Bible AND the Karate moves.

Check and see if you have a TCK in your area, or they can start one.

http://www.totallychristiankarate.com/

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Shalom Patricia,

Our children attend Totally Christian Karate. It is based on Bible verses, memorization and you advance by learning the Bible AND the Karate moves.

Check and see if you have a TCK in your area, or they can start one.

http://www.totallychristiankarate.com/

That is so cool! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

I am 1 belt short of a black belt in jujitsu,tae kwon do,tai chi and judo.

In NONE of these classes was religion EVER a part of the class.

It teaches disclipine, self control, respect, self defense and it's a great physical workout.

There isn't a thing wrong with allowing your child to take these courses.

Parents are allowed to stay during the classes. I started my son when he was 6 because he was bullied in school.

I stayed and watched and ended up joining the class. It was great for my son and I to do something together.

We took the classes for 10 years and NEVER was any type of religion a part of the classes.

If you are concerned, just watch the class with her and if you see anything objectional, find another dojo or sensei.

so the mind discipline is a okat thing? Its not like yoga or meditating? I always connected it with war. maybe that is where I get my reluctance from. I know tae kwa do comes originally from korea. Jujutsu from Japan for hands on battle. But wasn't it Dr. Kano who discusses using the opponents energy to defeat him? Just asking not trying pull doen the combat practices; Being a nurse I know we are a bunch of electric wiring .....

The yelling is a individual yell of power? The bows are only to the sensei and to any other god...These may seem like dumb questions bur I just want to know. She is 40 lbs and I would Like to keep her as trim as she is but she cannot loose weight. If and when I sighn her up what is the best for het to eat bothe protein and carbs...? I would think protein, carbs will make her sleepy and slow her down!?

shalom vickilyn and thank-you so much

i just sent the a email and my Zip code and asked for assist. I am a new york...upstate new yorker

love in christ patricia

Edited by patricia1

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

I am 1 belt short of a black belt in jujitsu,tae kwon do,tai chi and judo.

In NONE of these classes was religion EVER a part of the class.

It teaches disclipine, self control, respect, self defense and it's a great physical workout.

There isn't a thing wrong with allowing your child to take these courses.

Parents are allowed to stay during the classes. I started my son when he was 6 because he was bullied in school.

I stayed and watched and ended up joining the class. It was great for my son and I to do something together.

We took the classes for 10 years and NEVER was any type of religion a part of the classes.

If you are concerned, just watch the class with her and if you see anything objectional, find another dojo or sensei.

so the mind discipline is a okat thing? Its not like yoga or meditating? I always connected it with war. maybe that is where I get my reluctance from. I know tae kwa do comes originally from korea. Jujutsu from Japan for hands on battle. But wasn't it Dr. Kano who discusses using the opponents energy to defeat him? Just asking not trying pull doen the combat practices; Being a nurse I know we are a bunch of electric wiring .....

The yelling is a individual yell of power? The bows are only to the sensei and to any other god...These may seem like dumb questions bur I just want to know. She is 40 lbs and I would Like to keep her as trim as she is but she cannot loose weight. If and when I sighn her up what is the best for het to eat bothe protein and carbs...? I would think protein, carbs will make her sleepy and slow her down!?

There is no "mind disclipine". Deep breathing to slow the heart rate is all it is.

Not like yoga nor meditating. Something like this would be said;

"Picture your target in front of you. Take a deep breath and then blow out with all your strength while you throw a punch"

"See your hand hit the target"

That is just focus.

Jujitsu is just a combination of Tae know do and judo with the addition of weapons like nunchukus or a bo.

We never discussed or were told of using "energy".

We were taught to use their momentum against them. Big difference.

They "yell" is just a release of adrenalin. More scientific than mystic.

The "bow" is like our custom of shaking hands, it is a sign of respect. We never even really bowed, it was more of a nod of attention. It would be like saying a soldiers salute was bowing down before the captain god.

I'd go high protein.

Lots of fluids, I worked up big sweats.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

One more thing.

You bow to everyone that out ranks you.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Tae Kwan do is ok and they don't teach religion just exercise and self defense. no harm there

My son took this as well. He was taught only concentration, self discipline, self defense, and strength training. They, in no way, taught anything contrary to our Christian beliefs. Btw, he still has those disciplines 15 years later! :whistling:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

It helped my son transition to football without missing a beat which he loves. We can't walk around worrying about everything the world offers. The only thing God judges is our heart. For instance if you train dogs to kill each other or use fighting to hurt people that would be bad. This is America and if people start saying football is bad they are going way overboard.

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,771
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  222
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Go for it ...I am a black belt in judo...my son had his third black belt in judo and his back in karate ...my oldest daughter competed and won in the senior division of the commonwealth games in judo ( last year ) my oldest granddaughter is a national champion in judo ....NEVER have any of us been expected to learn or listen to anything to do with religeon ....the bow is just a form of respect just as I was taught to stand when a teacher entered the room when I was in school ....no "worship" just respect

However as a teacher of self defence for battered wives you really need to look at WHY she wants to learn any of the "self defence arts" THEY DO NOT WORK unless you are such a master at them that you could defeat someone who was attacking you anyway ...and they you would also have to understand "street/dirty" fighting They give you confidence and that can also be dangerous as I have seen all too often young children think they can take on the world with just a few lessons it is FAR better to go to proper self defence lessons if that is the aim as they also teach you how to get out of/avoid dangerous situations as much as anyone possibly can :)

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Content Count:  7,832
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

Go for it ...I am a black belt in origami...

Really, LadyP....you never fail to surprise me with your hidden depths.

I will certainly be more tactful in future when referring to your rock fairy cakes! :emot-highfive:

:emot-highfive::emot-highfive:

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Content Count:  7,832
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

Actually, to be serious, I really don't think that it is a good idea to teach kids fighting techniques.

In my younger days, I was very proficient in the art of Karate. I used to do demonstrations at new openings of dojos and the like.

I used to absolutely LOVE Karate. I lived it.

As I used to also buy a lot of the martial arts books and magazines, I also noticed that there are regularly sections devoted to the philosophies/eastern religions behind the art......especially as you get deeper into it.....as most martial arts strive to go beyond the physical in order to attain proficiency....and this means developing the spiritual side......'ki'...or 'chi'...depending on what school your art hails from.

Karate to me was everything at one time. Just the word used to fill me with wonder. Even similar words, such as 'curate' would set my blood rising. That's how dedicated and steeped in it I was. :emot-highfive:

I strove for perfection, and my performances were often described as 'polished'. Even at grading I would be awarded two belts at a time.

After my brother died, I lost interest. But a couple of years later I took it up again and threw myself into it with an even greater vigour.

To practice Karate seriously..(and not a lot of people know this)....

....If one is striving for perfection....each and every move in karate (including 'blocks'), is designed to accomplish one of four things:

A fracture,

Internal hemorrhage,

Unconsciousness, or

Death.

Eventually, it began to dawn on me, though, that, as a Christian, it was not such a good thing to channel my energies into....'learning how to punch people's lights out'......so I gave it up for good.

I have absolutely no interest in it now whatsoever.

To be fair, though...it is an excellent source of physical fitness. :emot-highfive: