IGNORED

Question on morality

Guest scrubsformatt

Guest scrubsformatt

Well for awhile i was considering joining the military and everything was going well until some unforeseen problems arose. Anyway, one thing i began thinking about was killing. At first it wasnt something that i even cared about, for me at least, i had no problem with it. But as time went on i started to think about it. skipping ahead. What does God say about killing during war time. its something i think about a lot and im looking for someone with a better answer than I can come up with.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

;) from damo1

I have Christian friends in the Army and in the Navy as well and i can see were you are coming from yet look at king David God Worked threw this man and he led David to many Victories

I was in the same Situation in 2001 as i was looking at the Army my self then things Just Changed to wear i was able to get work and move on in doing what i felt were god was leading me to

You sort of made the right Choice yet you need to Also give this over and see what god Says to You as i am like You i have no Problem in killing i got accepted but i also knocked it on the head

When there Was trouble In my country in Yogoslavia the goverment was asking for all Australian Croations to come and help Several Close friends i new hear and one croation Christian went back home yet i had no money to go and my grand father did not want to lend me the money for the air ticket to fly over and help out as he said he did not want to loose me

My Brother who is in the Croation Army is a Snipper and he is only a Year Younger then me he is good at what he does and that is his role

You wil get a lot of Verses thrown at you hear Yet i did not want to do this to you as i understand wear You are at and i hope You Can Come to a Point wear you decide for your Self

I Wil pray for you and ask God to give you Some answer hear alone to this to what you are asking

for me if Anything were to happen i would have no Problem as i would defend this Country of mine no matter what and it would not be a problem to me at all yet this is just me and with the close friends i have in the Army and the Navy

Growing up in a War torn Country wear all my fathers brothers went threw the armyand even my father and his father you wear taught how to handle your self and when you wear alone walking threw the forest you new what land mines looked like you new also what traps looked like as the serbian army and serbs them selves set things up to hurt us and kill us

So its been around me its a part of me and its in my blood and as i look at Davids life and How he was raised to wear he ended up i thought well god worked threw this man and i saw no Wrong in what Was going on while david was alive and walking this earth and he was not judged by god for the men he killed as he new who his lord was and he openly worshiped GOD and david did not feel guilty at all

the only time king David was judged for his Sins Was When he slep witth bethsheba another mans wife and had her husband killed yet god forgave him and he moved on and learnt an important lesson

You Did not say that you are a Christian yet i am thinking you would have read the bible for your self or you are going to a church if you are have a talk with some one like your Pastor or one of the leaders you know Who is a Close friend and who will answer you honsetly and tell them what you are trying to work out in your own thoughts

I Am Only Speaking to you as i Would to my friends with Out beating around the bush or trying to lay a Burden on you i am sure You wil Come up with An Answer Though

from damo1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Well for awhile i was considering joining the military and everything was going well until some unforeseen problems arose. Anyway, one thing i began thinking about was killing. At first it wasnt something that i even cared about, for me at least, i had no problem with it. But as time went on i started to think about it. skipping ahead. What does God say about killing during war time. its something i think about a lot and im looking for someone with a better answer than I can come up with.

You have asked a very serious and important question. One that only you can answer really. I'm a little distressed that at one time you had no problem with killing, but glad to see you are re-considering.

You will find some examples and rules in the old testement.

Using myself as an example, I can tell you that combat is nothing as you may imagine. Even listening to others who have been in combat won't give you any idea what it will be like for you.

As to taking anothers life, avoid it if possible, it's someting you will carry with you the rest of your life.

I don't mean this to suggest that you must be passive. I don't believe, nor would I allow myself to be put to the sword without a fight. We are I believe, allowed to protect ourselves, our loved ones and our way of life. How and why we do it is very important.

The taking of a life is very serious business, think long and hard on this matter, talk to your pastor and ask God for His quidance.

Finally I will tell you, if you put yourself in a position that may require you to take a life, you must be willing and ready to forfeit your own. So you must ask yourself if the objective you seek is worth that price?

I pray you God's speed and counsel.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

Moved from Worthy Welcome to General Discussion

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Research the Theology of a Just War.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

In the Ten Commandments we are told "Thou shalt not kill" but then God later tells the Israelites to form an army and conquer the Promised Land. The Hebrew word used in the Ten Commandments implies that we are not to murder. That is, if you don't like your neighbor don't kill him. God does allow us to protect ourselves and our nation. Jesus said Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. Matthew10:34. I know this is talking about the battle that we, as Christians, fight daily. But He expects us to defend ourself. The Greek word used really does mean a sword or a knife. And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take , and likewise [his] scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:35-36. Again Jesus is telling the deciples that things will be rough and it is ok to defend yourself.

I am very thankful for our military and know many young men who are Christians and are in the armed services. Killing is not to be taken lightly. Pray and let God lead your decision.

<>< ><>

Nathele

Guest scrubsformatt

Thanks very much. All the answers helped me understand a little more about this decision. It's still a difficult choice to make. My brother was in th gulf war and killed his fair share of people and when he spoke about it (he never really did) he was ok with it. Thats why i never thought twice about it. He's a very passionate person about his beliefs and it's something I've adopted as well. But i don't know if my beliefs are worth killing for. I dont think my cause would even matter to anyone after death anyway. Thanks again for your reply's.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

my mothers first cousin's husband was in vietnam..... to this day he is haunted by just one day in the mid 60's..... he only shot one time, and to this day he is haunted by it, he was discharged under medical conditions, and when he went back he no longer had a service record, nor a medical record, and has no disability even though it was all he could do to get out alive, as it was, out of the unit he was in, he is the only one that survived that attack....... he completed the mission and yet, there is no recognition that he was ever even in the military....

killing in time of war, does not go against the 10 commandments.... nor does killing as penalty for a crime...

a man i know, had a clear conscience when he got out of the service after ww2, he hated and still does, hate guns....

when they were called to general quarters, (battle stations) he would shoot the gun into the air, hoping to miss anything that might be up there, but at the same time, he said he was scared out of his scivies that the guy in the plane would see him and target him......

I have seen great ministries going on in the military.... a friend of mine, while serving in Iraq and Afgan, ministered to the chaplain...... huh? yea, when he arrived, he sought out the chaplain, and began ministering to him..... the chaplain has a very tough job, had hundreds of people he has to tend to, even more then the commanding officers, and yet has no relief..... my friend was drawn by God to minister to the chaplain..... we said it was a wonderful blessing to be able to tend to a shepherds needs.....

the choice to join or not to join, is not a question one should place on anyone else.... my son joined, he wanted to when he turned 17, i told him not on his life, that if he chooses to join when he is 18, i will bless him and encourage him, but not until them, no signature of mine will be on his contract.... and the recruiters knew i ment business when they called....... I listened to the sales pitch, and called them on errors they were telling these young people.... yea, some will tell a kid anything, to get them to join, but yet, you will never see anyof it on the contract, for it is not so..... ( I was in, and I use to recruit, and I never lied to an applicant, nor did i enlist anyone i would not serve with..... honestly, that is one reason i was rode hard by the command, i would not play the politic games just to get numbers.... i would rather loose a contract then to play that game ( which i lost quite a number due to the uppers pushing a kid into a non school quaruntee contract..... it they could not get a school, then i wanted them to return with out signing...... and several did.....

listen to what the recruiter says, and then verify it before continuing on to the next step....if you catch the recruiter in a flat out lie, excuse your self, and ask that he leaves you alone.... or come straight up with you right then and there.....

mike

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I think that there is a difference between being forced to kill someone as a last resort, and to volunteer to go to war and as a result, kill.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

When Roman soldiers cane to John the Baptist they asked him what was required of them to be in right relationship with God. He did not tell them to leave the military or refuse to kill. He simply told them to act justly and be content with their pay:

Some soldiers also questioned him: "What should we do?" He said to them, "Don't take money from anyone by force or false accusation; be satisfied with your wages."

Luke 3:14 HCSB