• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  624
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/21/1952

My husband have been serching scripture to find out if tithing was just for the Old Testament. If so what are we to give now? I would be interested to read what the opinions of others are....

Kathy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

This is a debate I have heard quite often. The tithe is really an Old Testament principle. It's important to give to God's work, but I can't think of any New Testament scriptures that require a certain portion.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

My husband have been serching scripture to find out if tithing was just for the Old Testament. If so what are we to give now? I would be interested to read what the opinions of others are....

Kathy

cheerful giver

2 Cor 9:6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Tithing in the Old Testament doesnt even parallel in the same manner that Christians tithe today.

there wasnt a basket being passed around in the tabernacle.

but business is business and this is what religion is.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Personally, I believe that if we love the Lord our God with all our hearts, soul, mind and strength, and love our neighbors as ourselves, we would probably think that giving just 10% is not enough for all the suffering we see around us. Remember the sheep and the goats.

Tithing is to support the work of God. In the earlier days, charity came from the churches, for the common person could not afford to give any more then that. Today, this is not the case.

As for scripture, it all depends on what version of the Bible you are reading. Check out many version at http://www.biblegateway.com while searching for the word tithe. Hope this helps.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I don't see why it would be any different now. The church still needs to pay its pastors and meet expenses. And we still need to be reminded that all our money is God's, but He only asks for His 10%. And He will make our 90% go farther than if we kept the 100%.

Is there any place where it says it's changed?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I don't see why it would be any different now. The church still needs to pay its pastors and meet expenses. And we still need to be reminded that all our money is God's, but He only asks for His 10%. And He will make our 90% go farther than if we kept the 100%.

Is there any place where it says it's changed?

Nope. At least, I have never found any scripture telling us that we don't need to tithe. I can think of a scripture where Jesus was standing, with the Disciples, near the offering bowl (for a lack of a better word) when a poor woman put in a coin. Jesus stated that she had put in more then the rich, for she gave all she had. Giving back only 10% is the least we should do.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

from damo1

i too believe its an old testament principal but i feel its important to give when we give god gives back to us when we hold back god holds back from blessing us this is the way i see it and for some time i never use to give as i did not want to see the hard earnt money i was working for going to waste until gods spirit began to speak to me on tithing

often these two verses are thrown as a friend of mine who is a pastor him self said some times pastors will do this were these two verses are thrown to lay the guilt trip on those that do not tithe only the spirit of god can lead some one when it comes to tithing not man or any one else

Malachi 3 8 - 10

will a man rob god yet you rob me

Bring the hole tithe into the store house that there may be food in my house test me in this says the lord almighty and see if i will not throw open the flood gates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it

there wear times when i could not give as i had 10 or 20 left for the fortnight and this was toward bread and milk and then when i started to give even my last bit of money i had i would get it back two fold or some one would come up and bless me with food and some times i did not even ask when i put my money into the basket that is passed around i just gave and god made sure my needs were being met honestly i had to repent and ask god to forgive me for holding back from tithing

my partner is a very giving and caring women of god and she has told me were she has put her hole monthly pay that she gets as a pastor in tithing and often its come back two fold yet i am not their to wear my partner is in her own walk though i do know put a fair bit into tithing

but also be wise make sure when you tithe you know you can also survive for what ever day your pay falls i do it this way money for god first then all my other bills last

so thats my little say on this

blessings from damo1 Damien

• Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

I think that people get too caught up in the "law" regarding tithing. I think that Jesus redefined a lot of the Old Testament laws to be more general. I doubt God cares how much exactly you give, He wants you to give willingly and joyfully. Too many people pay their 10% and feel righteous. Although, many people don't even do that. I suspect that if every Christian gave even 5% of their income, church debt would be a thing of the past.

I like C.S. Lewis's way of viewing it, basically we are the give until it hurts. If you can easily afford the 10% and still buy everything you want, then you should be giving more. Another good plan is to compare your standard of living with non-believers who have the same income as you. If you are living at an equal or higher standard than the non-believer, then you should be giving away more.

Tithing is not really an obligation, but it is a way we can serve Christ. Surrendering your whole life to Jesus includes your wallet.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  263
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/02/1954

OK, I'm probably going to bother some with my answer. I love the Old Testament. I do not see any reason why some feel there is a line of separation between parts of the Bible though. The only systematic theology I can think of that cannot stand without that line is replacement theology. I will never accept that heresy. It is a lie from the pit.

I do not, however, feel that we as followers of the living Messiah should feel bound by an artificial set of rules concerning our giving. Instead, as is stated above, I strongly feel that we should give generously for the work of God on earth. We should personally give gifts to widows and orphans. We should care for the sick, elderly and needy. We should invest our time in love!

Oh, by the way, the tithe of first five books of the Bible is repeated several times for different reasons and occasions. The total is more like 90% of what you have is God's and 10% is yours to do with as you please. If you do your tithes before taxes, you will end up with less than nothing. Bottom line? You don't have anything that is yours. All you have is Gods and that is all you need.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/03/1951

Kathy

Hello,

The O.T. scriptures are Gods word and the N.T. scriptures are Gods word, which should we follow, both. Start in Genisis and allow the Holy Spirit to show you His word is a progressive revelation of Himself and His will for us to learn how to love Him. Do we today follow everything that the O.T. says to do? We follow everything that Jesus Christ says to do. Jesus Christ takes the O.T. and elevates it to having a relationship with Him not just obeying a set of laws.

So what does the N.T. say about tithing, it says if Christ has our heart we will give our all to Him in everything, He dosn't want anything from us but to love Him first, then we will do whatever he wants gladly and cheerfully for the benifit of others. We are just stewards of everything not owners of everything.

The N. T. has a lot to say about giving our money. Here are the passages that makes that clear to me about what God says about giving not tithing.

2Co 8:1 Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia;

2Co 8:2 How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality.

2Co 8:3 For to their power, I bear record, yea, and beyond their power they were willing of themselves;

2Co 8:4 Praying us with much intreaty that we would receive the gift, and take upon us the fellowship of the ministering to the saints.

2Co 8:5 And this they did, not as we hoped, but first gave their own selves to the Lord, and unto us by the will of God.

2Co 8:6 Insomuch that we desired Titus, that as he had begun, so he would also finish in you the same grace also.

2Co 8:7 Therefore, as ye abound in every thing, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all diligence, and in your love to us, see that ye abound in this grace also.

2Co 8:8 I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others, and to prove the sincerity of your love.

2Co 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

2Co 8:10 And herein I give my advice: for this is expedient for you, who have begun before, not only to do, but also to be forward a year ago.

2Co 8:11 Now therefore perform the doing of it; that as there was a readiness to will, so there may be a performance also out of that which ye have.

2Co 8:12 For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.

2Co 8:13 For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened:

2Co 8:14 But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality:

2Co 8:15 As it is written, He that had gathered much had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had no lack.

2Co 8:16 But thanks be to God, which put the same earnest care into the heart of Titus for you.

2Co 8:17 For indeed he accepted the exhortation; but being more forward, of his own accord he went unto you.

2Co 8:18 And we have sent with him the brother, whose praise is in the gospel throughout all the churches;

2Co 8:19 And not that only, but who was also chosen of the churches to travel with us with this grace, which is administered by us to the glory of the same Lord, and declaration of your ready mind:

2Co 8:20 Avoiding this, that no man should blame us in this abundance which is administered by us:

2Co 8:21 Providing for honest things, not only in the sight of the Lord, but also in the sight of men.

2Co 8:22 And we have sent with them our brother, whom we have oftentimes proved diligent in many things, but now much more diligent, upon the great confidence which I have in you.

2Co 8:23 Whether any do enquire of Titus, he is my partner and fellowhelper concerning you: or our brethren be enquired of, they are the messengers of the churches, and the glory of Christ.

2Co 8:24 Wherefore shew ye to them, and before the churches, the proof of your love, and of our boasting on your behalf.

2Co 9:1 For as touching the ministering to the saints, it is superfluous for me to write to you:

2Co 9:2 For I know the forwardness of your mind, for which I boast of you to them of Macedonia, that Achaia was ready a year ago; and your zeal hath provoked very many.

2Co 9:3 Yet have I sent the brethren, lest our boasting of you should be in vain in this behalf; that, as I said, ye may be ready:

2Co 9:4 Lest haply if they of Macedonia come with me, and find you unprepared, we (that we say not, ye) should be ashamed in this same confident boasting.

2Co 9:5 Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.

2Co 9:6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

2Co 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

2Co 9:9 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.